Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 04:52 PM

51 posts, read 135,881 times

Advertisements

would love to read some stories and see if the grass is sometimes greener on the other side
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 05:43 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,451,047 times
Sometimes the grass isn't greener on the other side though. I always like the saying "If you would water your grass, you wouldn't care how the grass looks on the other side." Or something along those lines. . .

What don't you like about your current city? Rather things you'd like your city to have that it currently doesn't have? (Please don't mention lack of friends, family support or social life, etc because moving to another city isn't primary solution.)

Last edited by JMT; 05-12-2014 at 06:13 PM..

Old 05-12-2014, 06:21 PM

10,750 posts, read 23,828,256 times
It largely depends on how well you prepare for the transition and what your expectations of it are. If you have realistic expectations of how everyday human behavior and interactions can happen anywhere and you have a plan that gives you financial stability then that is a good start to finding happiness somewhere else. Also have respect from where your coming from and don't leave any unfinished business behind. A few years before I left Massachusetts I had some life altering events happen. I made sure I made peace with all that before I left and considered moving elsewhere. Willingness to adapt to new customs and culture, the ability letting go of what you left behind, and embracing what is new and different is very key as well.

That said I have wonder lust and I'm pretty easily adaptable to new environments. I'm pretty happy about fulfilling my goal of moving out West again. New Mexico is my third state residence after Massachusetts and Washington. I'm happy that I found a place that is a good jumping off point to explore the wonders of the West (Grand Canyon/Rockies etc.) as I love roadtripping and I continue to fulfill goals of seeing and exploring new places, and that makes life for more interesting for me. I'm happy for the new people I've met and connections I've made out here. I've learned a lot from them and it's enriched my life in a big way.

I certainly do miss the ocean, my family, seafood, the cities and charming towns, and the greenery back home in New England. But if I left here I'd miss the abundant sunny days, big skies, sunsets, New Mexican food, great weather, intriguing culture, and the sense of visual wonder that only the Southwest can offer. So sometimes moving is both a blessing and a curse. But I'm grateful for all of it, and I wouldn't change a thing.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:06 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
It largely depends on how well you prepare for the transition and what your expectations of it are. If you have realistic expectations of how everyday human behavior and interactions can happen anywhere and you have a plan that gives you financial stability then that is a good start to finding happiness somewhere else. Also have respect from where your coming from and don't leave any unfinished business behind. A few years before I left Massachusetts I had some life altering events happen. I made sure I made peace with all that before I left and considered moving elsewhere. Willingness to adapt to new customs and culture, the ability letting go of what you left behind, and embracing what is new and different is very key as well.

That said I have wonder lust and I'm pretty easily adaptable to new environments. I'm pretty happy about fulfilling my goal of moving out West again. New Mexico is my third state residence after Massachusetts and Washington. I'm happy that I found a place that is a good jumping off point to explore the wonders of the West (Grand Canyon/Rockies etc.) as I love roadtripping and I continue to fulfill goals of seeing and exploring new places, and that makes life for more interesting for me. I'm happy for the new people I've met and connections I've made out here. I've learned a lot from them and it's enriched my life in a big way.

I certainly do miss the ocean, my family, seafood, the cities and charming towns, and the greenery back home in New England. But if I left here I'd miss the abundant sunny days, big skies, sunsets, New Mexican food, great weather, intriguing culture, and the sense of visual wonder that only the Southwest can offer. So sometimes moving is both a blessing and a curse. But I'm grateful for all of it, and I wouldn't change a thing.
My cousin moved from Connecticut to ABQ about 20 years ago and he loves it and has no plans to come back. He started a family there and bought a house, too. He doesn't even really miss anything about back east at this point, he said. Not even the greenery. He said that the greenery in New England only really lasts for about 5 months, and the other 7 months everything looks dead, brown and ugly in general. He prefers the diverse mix of brown and green offered in NM, and always raves about how good the air feels, even if it's 45 degrees outside, he said it doesn't feel so bad. His only complaints are that the politicians sometimes aren't that great (like anywhere else though), and he sometimes complains that his neighborhood has been gradually becoming trashy (although he recently said it has been improving). And he said that it pisses him off that there are tons of native American Indians living off welfare throughout the state of NM.

I visited ABQ for Christmas in 2012 and thoroughly enjoyed it. The luminarias (or whatever they're called) were pretty neat, and the New Mexican food was GREAT. Santa Fe was nice, too.

Old 05-13-2014, 05:53 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,737,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
My cousin moved from Connecticut to ABQ about 20 years ago and he loves it and has no plans to come back. He started a family there and bought a house, too. He doesn't even really miss anything about back east at this point, he said. Not even the greenery. He said that the greenery in New England only really lasts for about 5 months, and the other 7 months everything looks dead, brown and ugly in general. He prefers the diverse mix of brown and green offered in NM, and always raves about how good the air feels, even if it's 45 degrees outside, he said it doesn't feel so bad. His only complaints are that the politicians sometimes aren't that great (like anywhere else though), and he sometimes complains that his neighborhood has been gradually becoming trashy (although he recently said it has been improving). And he said that it pisses him off that there are tons of native American Indians living off welfare throughout the state of NM.

I visited ABQ for Christmas in 2012 and thoroughly enjoyed it. The luminarias (or whatever they're called) were pretty neat, and the New Mexican food was GREAT. Santa Fe was nice, too.
I'm not sure if this is a racist comment or not, but it seems boarder line. I use to live in ABQ and in the middle of NM when I was a younger lad. The Navajo Nation is one of the largest tribes in the USA, still with that fact there are only 12,000 total registered Navajo's in Navajo Nation, it sounds like he is just picking on a minority that is underprivileged etc. If he actually took some time to learn about their culture and history he would have good things to say about them. I remember the Navajo bread, women us to come out to my neighborhood every Sunday and sell use their bread baked in their outside Adobe's, soo tasty. Their food was also very great. They taught us about natural foods that you can eat out their, like those cactus banana things, and the nuts/seeds - pistachios etc. The had pretty cool ceremonies, with dancing and traditional songs. Their Adobe style building is to die for, you see these Navajo Natives building them and they are truly all class. Adobes sell for 600k to millions of dollars out there, they are no easy feat, but the Navajos are the creators and traditionally carry the process of Adobe building with them (in that part of the world).

Most people complain about areas instead of finding the good things, enjoying them and complimenting them. Every city, state, region has bad parts, but are we put on this world to complain about the bad parts or are we put hear to enjoy human creativity and good things? I think the complainers just like to complain because they have nothing else going on in their lives (most are also closed-minded and not very culturally diverse). The fact is no one place is going to make you as happy as you want. A place might put you in a better mood with your surroundings, but you still have to live everyday life, jobs, bills, etc. If you live in paradise and your job stinks you will not be happy.

Old 05-13-2014, 06:31 AM

89 posts, read 123,853 times
We retired and moved to an over 55 community, thinking only of the fun-in-the-sun, outdoor activities, etc. Turned out we missed being around younger people, especially little ones
We also never appreciated how much more urban areas had to offer us in terms of our particular interests - great museums, galleries, orchestras, free/inexpensive events at local colleges, a wide choice of medical care within close distance, etc.
I realize a retirement life of golf & tennis can be great for many, but if and when you may not be able to participate in that level of physical activity it's nice to have a wider range of choices and age groups to enjoy.
We still visit friends at the 55+ area on occasion, and understand it works for many, but our suggestion would be to try and rent or visit any location for an extended time before making the move.
And you can always change your mind and move again!

Old 05-13-2014, 09:55 AM

2,533 posts, read 4,604,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SignoreAmante View Post
would love to read some stories and see if the grass is sometimes greener on the other side
Savannah, GA to Seattle, WA in May 2011.

The grass is very greener here... Year round in fact due to the damp misty mild weather in the winter.

I moved here for a job and couldn't be happier. The climate is wonderful (please don't tell me it rains all the time... Rain here doesn't need an umbrella 95% of the time) and I can go outside in the summer. No more 95 degrees with 100% humidity with a heat index of 115 degrees while gnats and mosquitos are eating you alive like you get down in Georgia. My apologies to those who like that kind of weather for 6 months straight... I'm content with a summer in the 60s and 70s.

The job market here is better. The scenery is better. The PNW is a beautiful place to live.

Old 05-13-2014, 10:31 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,296,361 times
I moved from Iowa to Phoenix. The grass is definitely not greener here in the desert than it was there

But overall happiness is much improved. I did not suffer from seasonal depression this winter for the first time.

I do miss spring in the midwest a teeny bit. Thunderstorms, the sudden green everywhere as the landscape comes back to life. But it's a small price to pay for not dealing with snow and cold.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:47 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,485,113 times
The grass is not greener on the other side but it may lead towards finding out what makes you happy.

Old 05-14-2014, 12:18 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,227,229 times
It's more like crab grass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues