Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 09:14 AM

500 posts, read 1,174,288 times

Advertisements

I just took a new job that has more locations in FL than my old job, so the chance for a transfer is better, but I have to work for the company for 6 months before I'm eligible to transfer. Even then, I still just have to wait until something comes up. Could be at the 6 month mark, could be years. Who knows.

I also have a house here that I'm putting up for rent around that 6 month mark and moving to a temporary apartment while waiting.

Now that I've made the decisions and have put things into progress, I can't stop thinking about how I want to move NOW, and the wait is killing me. And the unknown time frame is adding insult to injury. I'm planning a 4 day visit down there in July and a week in September, but what else can I do to distract myself from the constant pull of the urge to go? I think about it all day long, no matter what else I'm doing.

Also, the company I now work for is the largest of its kind, and has the best reputation in the field. How long would you wait for a transfer to come through in my situation before you just started looking for other companies (much smaller and not as good) in the new state? Having to be here for 6 months and deal with another winter is going to kill me, I can't imagine waiting longer than a year to be where I really want to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2014, 10:17 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,023,642 times
nothing harder than waiting. all you can do is stay occupied doing things you like to do.

Old 05-18-2014, 10:40 AM

7,246 posts, read 7,079,089 times
Research.

We've been working on our move for almost 2 years. It started with getting work done on the house that we knew needed it before we put it on the market.

I've now got 1 month left until our house closes. I've packed almost everything we don't need for day to day living. Now I'm house hunting online. We've an apartment already in FL and we'll be living there while we look at houses, but I've spent the last few months just researching homes, neighborhoods, museums, shopping, restaurants, etc... so that when my feet hit the ground there I will have a game plan for the final phase - buying a home.

Old 05-18-2014, 11:11 AM

I have a contractor set to come do all the work that needs done on the house this summer. I've mostly sold/trashed everything that's not going with me (only have one more pickup truck bed of stuff to go). And I've been researching like mad over the last 6 months or so.

I just feel like I'm killing time here now. Most of my friends have moved away/gotten married/had kids, so there's not really anyone to hang out with, and I'm an introvert anyway. I typically spend a lot of time in the summer reading outdoors, but I can't even stay focused on reading right now! It's terrible! If I only had a month or two to go, I'd be ok, but it's at least 6 more, probably more than that!

Old 05-18-2014, 03:39 PM

244 posts, read 667,707 times
I'm going through something similar, and I'd love to hear what others have to say. At least I have a 4-year old for a distraction.

Old 05-18-2014, 10:10 PM

128 posts, read 151,574 times
It's the same way for my husband and I right now. We are just biding our time until we can move in late August/early September. I think research is a great idea, I've been reading a lot of posts about the area we are moving to, asking people about various things I'm curious about.

Since I have a few weeks to waste we are also going through stuff and getting rid of or selling what we don't need. It's going to help a lot on the move and we are making money in the process.

Or you could just obsessively watch tv shows on Netflix like I tend to do. That's a big time waster!

Old 05-19-2014, 01:44 PM

151 posts, read 126,878 times
I'll join in the solidarity here. I'm about six months into what's essentially an 18-month period of killing time before I move back to South Florida in June 2015. My best friend in general and my best friend at work both moved away earlier this month. I'm pretty introverted, and keep up with both via text/email, but it's been a little wild to think that the going-away parties I went to last week were pretty much the last social events I'm going to for a very long time.

Since I've got a full year, I can't really start selling everything off, but I have been poking around on sites like this and looking at apartment listings in the neighborhoods I want to move to. Also just trying to keep myself busy with work, as well as reading and watching stuff on Netflix. It sucks to feel like you should be doing more ahead of the move and realizing that you can't!

Old 05-19-2014, 02:02 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
yep we are in the same boat as most on here is the fact that it boils down to a year for us too we are saving like crazy people and doing research on the best and cheapest way to move possible ..also researching the area we want to go to . Im sure we will love it once we get there and we can breathe easy then .I just sit back and do my research and twiddle my thumbs till it is time to go, yep just do research and watch movies and that time will be here before you know it .

Old 05-19-2014, 03:54 PM

124 posts, read 372,490 times
I need tips on this too, I'm moving to one place for school in November once my lease is up but once that's done (another year) I'll be free to move anywhere I want. I won't be able to move where I want until at least the beginning of Jan 2016. Lots of time to research but over a year and a half is a long time to wait.......

Old 05-21-2014, 06:41 PM

Well, I decided I was going to start running! I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through molasses, but it's something! I figure that if I'm going to be living in Florida, I'd better start working on getting a beach body!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues