Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2014, 07:32 AM

428 posts, read 810,259 times

Advertisements

Freaking out a bit, I can not find anything about cancellation policies anywhere in any of the documents the mover provided me, and I have already agree to the move and provided my credit card info, etc,; move is scheduled for Oct 21. Surely there must be a way to cancel and get most of one's money back (not yet charged anyhow) with over a month before a move? I emailed the local agent for United (the parent moving company) but am just wondering if anybody here has any knowledge or experience with a cancellation of a move? Odd how any cancellation is so absent from any and all documents; I might be screwed. All relates to my decision to hold off on a move if i can, because I decided I probably should not leave my house vacant in northern MN until it sells even if I winterize the plumbing; I read how cold will cause floors to warp, cracks to appear all over in walls, etc, because I can not count on my furnace to keep my house even at 50 in case the thermostat malfunctions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 08:17 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
I posted to you in your other thread. I think you are worrying a lot about something that can easily be watched by a neighbor or good friend. Or, call a plumbing/heating and put in a new thermostat. Actually, our thermostat is controlled by our provider, which I found out accidently this summer, during an energy conservation period here. I couldn't turn the air colder, you might even check your provider, and see if your thermostat is on such a computer?

Think how many folks snow bird all winter from your area. I'm in NE N.D. Tons of people snowbird...Do you have a relative or a friend that goes south, call and ask them. They might even recommend a property management company.

If you really don't want to move, that is one thing.....But, if the only thing making you nervous is what could possibly happen to your house that you are selling, put things into place that will prevent that.

Also, moving is a big decision, you are likely stressing more simply because of that.

I do not know the back story, but if a move is going to improve your life, your job, whatever. Go for it....It will all work out!

I hear Washington is a beautiful place to live!!

Old 09-19-2014, 11:23 AM

415 posts, read 2,334,190 times
Canceling your move

United does not run the C/C until the shipment loads,

if it does not load there is no charge

you do want to contact your moving consultant and make she he or she has baccked the move out

will not be a problem,

I know because I work for a United in SC

Old 09-20-2014, 09:36 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,248,699 times
Is it actually a cancellation or just a delay?

Old 09-20-2014, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
....If you really don't want to move, that is one thing.....But, if the only thing making you nervous is what could possibly happen to your house that you are selling, put things into place that will prevent that. Also, moving is a big decision, you are likely stressing more simply because of that. I do not know the back story, but if a move is going to improve your life, your job, whatever. Go for it....It will all work out!.I hear Washington is a beautiful place to live!!
Moving IS a HUGE stress, leaving my house vacant is a HUGE stress; so I decided I simply must have a property managment co. rent it while I am away so at least it is heated, and also defrays the $5000 a year it costs if it were just left empty (property taxes, insurance, some heat, snow removal). Coming to grips with that is helping a lot.

Old 09-20-2014, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
Is it actually a cancellation or just a delay?
I have been pondering cancelling the move, on the one hand because I pondered not moving, but now I ponder renting a UHaul trailer and driving, but I think I will stick to the pro movers, the cost savings is not that great and I already have a nonrefundable one way air ticket ($500). Just that I am dramatically reducing my possessions, getting to where I could see myself moving next time with just a uhaul trailer!

Epiphany happened yesterday--- I have a HUGE movie and music collection, massive, and the weight and bulk of that was just sick as a % of my possessions. I realized though the discs themselves are only 20% of the weight and bulk so I have been tossing the disc jackets and jewel cases, WOW, AMAZING reduction in weight and volume bulk, utterly amazing what it reduces down to!

Old 09-20-2014, 01:03 PM

1,680 posts, read 2,558,151 times
OP,

I had to cancel my move 24 hours before the truck was to arrive - as the sale of my house fell through at the very last minute. It was a local moving company and I was only moving 115 miles away. I decided not to move last November and leave my house vacant over the winter months. So, glad I made that decision given the 2013-2014 winter we had.

The mover said not to worry about it and to give him a call once the house sold - whenever that might be. The house sold 6 months later and he was the one I called to move my stuff once the house closed. No cancellation fee - just a very understanding local moving company that understood the situation and realized they would be the first company I would call when I was ready to move.

Mary2014
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues