Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2014, 12:59 PM

2 posts, read 7,594 times

Advertisements

Hi, I moving from east coast to middle west (1700 miles). I have some furniture and a 2013 Honda, everything will be transported to the new location. I got quote from the three companies, all have contracts with my new employer. The furniture part are very similar, difference is less than $500, the delivery dates are similar too. The major differences are in the car shipping options. Atlas provides the option of shipping the car and furniture in the same truck, and $75000 total protection plan. United says that they can not guarantee that the car will be shipped with United, and they reserve the right to transport with a 3rd party carrier. Allied will find a 3rd party carrier.

Atlas mentioned that they would outsource the car to a 3rd party carrier in one of previous emails, but the final estimate states that the car will be shipped with my furniture.

United is a binding estimate (3700 lbs), Allied is non-binding estimate (2500 lbs) and Atlas is a guaranteed not-to-exceed estimate (4000 lbs + 3000lbs of the car = 7000 lbs total) the final cost might be lower. Not sure why their weight estimations are so different.

Is Atlas the best option in this case?

Thanks everyone.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2014, 08:35 PM

521 posts, read 4,413,010 times
All three company's can move your car on the same truck, but you probably don't want them to.

Ask each company you're considering to price their service using one of the three estimates as a baseline.

United's binding estimate, for instance, in the middle as far as weight of just your household goods. Ask all three carriers to provide a cost based on a 3700 lb estimate for your personal belongings plus 3,000 lbs for the vehicle.

FYI - the average cost of a damage claim for vehicles transported inside a moving van with the rest of your 'stuff' is $560. The average cost on a carrier carrier is less than a $100. That's the reason car manufacturers and auto dealerships use carriers. I would never move one of my vehicles inside a moving van.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:53 AM

415 posts, read 2,333,868 times
I Totally agree with Rikki,

when the moving company puts a car inside the van with your household good, they will put the car in first, then they will put a plywood deck above your car and put your households goods up. so you have all your stuff over top of your car. Not as safe as using a car carrier.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:55 AM

415 posts, read 2,333,868 times
Another thing, never use a non binding quote. All carriers will give a binding quote, Non binding is what the sales person does to make his quote look good, only to raise the price after the move is started

Old 10-29-2014, 11:14 AM

2 posts, read 7,594 times
hmm, I thought it is safer to transport car with household stuff in the same truck, now the United quote looks much better. The Allied company said they could not generate binding quote, because their contract with my employer requires non-binding quote, not sure how this happens.

Old 10-29-2014, 12:24 PM

3,244 posts, read 6,297,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovefuji View Post
United says that they can not guarantee that the car will be shipped with United, and they reserve the right to transport with a 3rd party carrier. Allied will find a 3rd party carrier.
United said the same thing when I moved. Then my car sat in New Jersey for two weeks until they had a carrier going to CA. If they are shipping with a 3rd party carrier I would find my own car transporter and eliminate the middleman. I agree that shipping a car on a car carrier is better than trying to drive it up steep ramps into a moving van.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues