Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 07:36 PM

372 posts, read 534,301 times

Advertisements

I'm planning on shipping books and files USPS "media mail" across the country.

I have a few concerns.

How many days?: I need to be certain that I arrive before the boxes do. I am flying.
I know what the USPS says, but has anyone had them arrive much more quickly?

Does USPS use UPS for this?: If yes, then I need to use a street address.

My total box count may be 10/12 book boxes: How does the USPS feel about that many boxes? I sure don't want to upset my mail carrier.... but media rates are the best so far.

Open to other ideas and suggestions.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2015, 08:27 PM

587 posts, read 916,307 times
Sometimes Media Mail is as quick as First Class. I've never heard of UPS being involved.

Maybe you could put a hold on mail sent to the new address and request that they wait for you to pick it up if you are concerned about the boxes getting there too soon?

I don't think the carrier is going to put you on a bad customer list for getting 10 boxes of books. It may not even be your regular carrier who delivers them- could be a special trip.

Old 01-11-2015, 09:18 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,477,048 times
Generally, Parcel Post and Media Mail move at comparable speed. Personal observation leads me to believe that Priority Mail always moves out daily on the truck/semi/plane whatever - while Media Mail and Parcel Post move only if there is room on the truck etc. My observations include the sense that Media Mail moves faster in smaller/lighter boxes than in larger/heavier ones; this might be a function of smaller boxes being able to just squeeze onto the outgoing truck while a larger box won't fit and will have to wait until the next day. Perhaps their practice is to put smaller parcels on the truck first and the largest last..

Your carrier would probably be happier if you took your boxes to the post office in order t spare your carrier the hassle of handling them. I mail numerous smaller parcels and if I'm not already expecting to pass by the post office, will meet my carrier doown the block on the corner and give them to her so she can put then in her truck right there without having to carry them.

Old 01-11-2015, 09:29 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,014,275 times
Will take a few days, It moves by Truck, USPS does contract trucking services, but does not use UPS.

They do use FedEx (Last time I checked) to move there overnight mail and 1st class mail that moves by air.

USPS Can open the Media Mail Boxes to inspect them to ensure everything in them meet the media mail rules, and the penalties are high, 1st class postage + a fine.

Old 01-11-2015, 10:28 PM

Thank you for your responses, I appreciate it very much.

I don't plan on shipping media when it's not--thank you for the warning though.

I'll take them to the local PO, but didn't want my new carrier upset... 10 cartons are a lot... I don't expect the USPS to be happy about it.

The hold is a good idea... I'll contact the local PO.

Old 01-11-2015, 11:52 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,675,257 times
I mail a lot of books via Media Mail and agree with what freemkt said. I'm mailing something today and this is what the USPS is quoting for delivery:

Estimated Delivery: Jan 16, 2015 to Feb 3, 2015

Media Mail always ships by truck when space is available. Across country will take the longest. Out of the way locations usually take longer.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:35 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,770,613 times
You can submit a hold mail request for the address you are moving to, then pick up at your leisure.

https://holdmail.usps.com/holdmail/

' If you’re going away for a while, take advantage of our Request Hold Mail service. We’ll keep your mail safely at your local Post Office™ until you return. Schedule the service up to 30 days in advance, or by 2AM CST (Mon-Sat) on the start date. Each address can have one Hold Mail scheduled at a time. All mail will be held, rather than an individual's mail.'

Don't foget to file a forwarding address for where you are leaving from.

IME media mail is the slowest. Bonus, packages are handled better (no rush to deliver) and have a good survival rate.

Please put all your books into lightweight trash bags before boxing them, it's cheap insurance if the parcel gets wet.

Since you can't print Media mail shipping labels at USPS's online website, unless you have another postage software you're using you will have to go to the PO anyway. So do yourself a favor and ship a few at a time rather than breaking your back and pissing off the PO folks. JM2C

Old 01-12-2015, 01:30 PM

2,286 posts, read 2,008,854 times
You're paying money. Why would they care if you ship 10 boxes of books, or 10 people each ship 1 box of books?

I've always used media mail when selling books on Half or Amazon. Never any issues, but I've never bought tracking so I don't know how long it takes. They always tell me what day it should arrive when I pay for the postage though.

Why do you need to be there in advance? If you set up a UPS mailbox (for example), you'll be fine, and they only charge you if you hold the boxes there for more than 5 business days before picking them up (the number may vary by location).

If you have a real address already and don't need a mailbox, I guess that's different.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:20 PM

Thank you for your suggestions and insights.

I appreciate it very much.

Did you know that magazines do not count as media mail?!

I use images for teaching, so that was news.

Files don't count as media either... ugh the dilemma of the paper trail.

I've got a physical address, and wanted the boxes to arrive at my door instead of the PO schlep again.

USPS is by far the best price I've seen for Standard or Media mail, between UPS and Fedex.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:13 PM

491 posts, read 1,171,188 times
Don't cheap out on insurance for the boxes' contents.
An acquaintance shipped 2 small boxes of childrens' books for a grandchild -- and after they never showed, it was a nightmare situation to get even an answer about the tracking and which postal branch the boxes had landed in during the course of them being transported by the USPS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues