Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 05:47 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,250,882 times

Advertisements

Forgot to keep documents that we would need within easy access. Had packed many and put in storage. Needed quick access to some, so I would scan them to your computer or keep them if you need the originals. Also, it took us longer to find a place than we thought and most of my 'job interview' clothes were in storage, and I needed more than I had allowed for. We were staying in a temporary apt, but I had to go get my printer/scanner out of storage as well, as we had to email all kinds of documents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 05:53 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,755,919 times
Great point, Enigma, I have an accordion envelope with our wills, birth certs, jewelry appraisals, insurance policy that originally was a 'grab if the house is on fire' file. To it I will add his medicare and social security info and my health insurance.

My laptop will come with us, it is the hub of the household. Last year I bought a clone laptop and transferred all the info so if this one blew up I could fire up the clone and carry on.

Old 01-16-2015, 06:07 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
bedding, some tape and old sheets (there may not be curtains!) - TP is an excellent tip, a couple light bulbs wouldn't hurt either. Believe it or not, I traveled w/my cat when I moved and when it was time to feed her I couldn't find the can opener!!

Old 01-16-2015, 06:13 PM

Thanks, flamingo, I feed the Whiskas foil topped plastic trays. No more cutting myself trying to open a can at two in the morning. Excellent tip.

Did you sedate your cat?

Old 01-16-2015, 06:41 PM

2,286 posts, read 2,006,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Thanks rarog, I am new to the Ipad, I will download the maps. Dad told me unless I had wifi it can't be a GPS, so that is really good news. I am counting on it mostly to keep DH entertained.
I use it as my backup GPS (which was good, because I just took my regular GPS across the country but forgot the charger). But I will say this: if you don't use the app for a while (however many months), it wants to update, and you need wifi for that. It won't let you use old maps instead of getting the update. So I had to drive my rental from the airport to the hotel using my main GPS with no charger, and luckily it didn't run out of juice, then download all the new maps on my tablet using the hotel wifi overnight.

Old 01-16-2015, 06:53 PM

Thanks rarog, I am wary of GPS with all of those people in Europe who blindly follow the GPD and wind up off of a torn down bridge or highway out. Our route is pretty cut and dried, I've been Googling it for months. But I do appreciate the tip.

Old 01-16-2015, 07:15 PM

2,286 posts, read 2,006,031 times
Never heard of that. In the US you should be fine. Shouldn't be that difficult to drive down 95 for 15 hours anyway.

Old 01-17-2015, 05:08 AM

366 posts, read 432,726 times
Always make sure you take a car phone charger with you. The kind that plug into a cigarette lighter. Also, a loaf of bread and peanut butter are handy to have on long stretches where food is not available. It keeps you full until your next pit stop, and it's a lot cheaper too. Figure a jar of Peanut butter for 1.99 and a loaf of bread for 2.50, and you can keep yourself fed for hours, all for under 5.00!!!!

Old 01-17-2015, 05:57 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
I encourage you to get cat harnesses and leash and just get them used to wearing them. We moved from HI to GA with a cat (and 2 dogs). There was a dog-walk area in the airport of our 5hr layover. Thankfully our cat was leash trained and I was able to sprinkle some litter on a plastic grocery bag and he went potty just fine. (so proud of him)

If you can get them used to just wearing the harness and leash outside, you may be able to have them potty outside and not in your vehicle. (were you going to keep a litter box in the vehicle?) Never let them out of the carrier without the harness/leash being on. Don't want to lose them!

You never know what's going to freak your cats out. I'd be hesitant to use drugs over a 3 day trip, too. We used liquid Benadryl on the flight. The cat was a lot better than the little dog!

Pack cat meals in individual snack sized zip locks. Let's say they get 1/4 cup of dry and split a can of catfood. Two ziplocks with 1/4C dry in a large ziplock with a can of catfood and a plastic utensil. You can pre-add any medication or stick a kitty treat in each bag as a bonus for their meal. Then toss that trash and you're done. Keep a pet mit to groom them at meal time or some routine that would stabilize the chaos for them. You have your overnight stops picked out?

The pain is a whole nother subject. When my back goes out (because I'm not keeping it fit) driving is the absolute worst. Take thin pillows or towels you can fold and tuck behind him. I'm sure they'll have to be readjusted periodically. You should try to do as much driving as you can because you want him to be able to walk when you get to FL!

I love audio books for travel!! Murder mysteries or westerns. I don't recommend the Cracker Barrel "club" for audio books. You get too sidetracked checking them out and it ends up being costly. If you can't get some cheapies from Amazon, you can find good ones at Love's truck stops for $10. DO NOT get ones that the author reads. You want an actor who does character voices or you'll end up in a ditch from falling asleep. Absolutely love Telegraph Days by Larry McMurtry read by Annie Potts. !!!!

Take warm, comfy socks so you can pull your shoes off and give your feet a break. I like slip on shoes for ease. Be sure your floorboards are clean or take towels to put under your sock feet.

Last edited by hunterseat; 01-17-2015 at 06:10 AM..

Old 01-17-2015, 06:13 AM

WOW hunterseat, thank you for taking the time to type all of that!!!!!!

I have heard from those that moved cats that they will not eat, drink or potty until they are in a room, sans a potty emergency or puke fest. I will be taking their normal litter and boxes, and their regular food.

I also read to take water from home that they're used to instead of tap water from strange places that smell and taste funny.

DH can drive if needed but he fears having a sciatica or leg cramp attack would put us at risk for an accident, so I've been doing all of the driving for years now.

I'm planning on everything I can possibly think of to make the trip comfortable for him. Ice packs, pillows, the Icy Hot portable tens unit, painkillers, alcohol.

I would be afraid the audio books would put me to sleep, so trash talk radio and oldies will do.

I'be had a foot slip while wearing my LL Bean Maine boots so only sturdy, comfortable shoes for safety. A woman up here last year was dribing while wearing flip flops and her foot slipped and she killed three people standing outside of a church.

Keep those car rips coming, I've read exhausting accounts of moving thanks to the CD community but you can never have enough good info.

We have six cats BYW. TYIA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues