Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 11:19 AM

8 posts, read 30,142 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving 2300 miles across the country from Ohio to LA area, 3 months from now.
We absolutely will drive only 1 car (it's a 3-4 day drive).

What we want:
We're willing to spend the money to get EXCELLENT movers that do a great job protecting the car and the stuff.

Why:
People keep recommending driving a truck and towing 1 car while driving the other car. We have done that (2 day trip) before and are NEVER doing it again. We won't consider it. Period.

We're sending:
  • 1 Car (Very small SUV)
  • Boxes/furniture ~ 2 rooms worth (1 couch and 2 tall shelves (no bed etc) + clothes/books/dishes/TV etc)

Logistics:
  • We will pack the boxes well.
  • Either the moving company will load truck/pod or we will hire other movers to load the truck/pod.
  • Car transport to be well protected (a few scratches aren't a big deal, but don't want it underneath a leaky car etc)

Timing:
  • We need the stuff to be delivered in 5-6 days (gives us travel leeway time)
  • The car can be up to a week-ish.

Request:
  1. What companies are considered excellent?
  2. What range of prices are we probably looking at?
  3. Anything else we should consider?

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2015, 02:25 PM

183 posts, read 210,795 times
We recently did a move like this (approx 2,400 miles from Ca to MI) and used UPACK. They drop off a trailer in front of your house and you pack it- they come a few days later and drive it to your destination. We drove our vehicles but you could ask others about car transport. It was around 3,000 for an 1,800 sq ft house- so it would probably be less for you- it just depends how much space you use in the trailer as thats how they charge. You have to pack your own stuff and put it in the trailer (hence the name) but its nice to not have to worry about driving a house full of stuff so far and it will arrive a few days after you do. If you don't have a place to live yet they will store it the first 30 days for free. It worked well for us. The key is packing the truck tight from top to bottom as things will shift a little bit in transport.
Also, you can write it off on your federal taxes next year if you are moving for a job. Good luck!
It took us 5 days to do the drive but we have kids so maybe you could do it faster without.

Old 03-03-2015, 10:39 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,294,617 times
We used Atlas Smartmoves a few years ago, and they were above our expectations. We also got a significant AAA discount (more than enough to cover the cost of Auto Club membership.) I don't know about the car, as we didn't move one.

Old 03-03-2015, 02:02 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,624,328 times
Honestly, if your SUV is in poor enough condition, or your concern for it is so low, where you can nonchalantly state that a few scratches from the movers aren't a big deal, you will be dollars ahead by selling it before you leave and buying something once you get there. Not worth the move!

Old 03-20-2015, 07:13 PM

I get that, but long story short is that we aren't going to drive it, and I'm not willing to go through buying/selling unless it costs more than like $2.5k to ship.

It's in good condition, but I don't care if it gets dings. It's the inside of the car that matters - it's one of very few models in which my husband even FITS (he's 7' tall).

Old 03-21-2015, 12:43 PM

4 posts, read 8,756 times
You can try to contact North Van Lines Inc. not sure what pricing might be, but I used them from ca to nj and they did a good job at a reasonable price. The rep Olga was great, so if you end up contacting them you should def try to see if shes still with the company...good luck!

Old 03-30-2015, 08:23 PM

3 posts, read 34,226 times
. I used OZ movers when I moved from LA to DC
I also shipped my car cross country 3 times, it was always $700-$800. No scratches or anything

Old 04-02-2015, 09:56 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,350,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by multibebe View Post
. I used OZ movers when I moved from LA to DC
I also shipped my car cross country 3 times, it was always $700-$800. No scratches or anything
Who did you use to ship the car?

Old 04-02-2015, 01:15 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,666,367 times
I used Atlas Van Lines twice for interstate moves. I was very happy both times. They have earned my business on future moves as well.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:51 PM

Thanks! Really helpful. What kind of options did you choose, and did you get your car on time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues