Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2015, 05:53 PM

1,639 posts, read 2,202,330 times

Advertisements

A bit of a different question for this forum maybe, but didn't know where else to put it. Have any of you come across an online "survey" I guess of some sort that tried to match you to a state that would be best for you to live in?

Now... first.... hold on a second. Because all of you are gonna say you have seen stuff like that with a simple google search. However, I've seen all those goofy surveys that ask what kind of weather you like, and if you fear tornadoes or something (though those are important...lol) Im also not looking for the stupid ones that ask you what color you like, what kind of coffee you prefer, and what song you like best, and then determine off of those answers what state matches you. Im looking for something really in depth.

I found one type of 'survey' that was great with the type of questions it asked a couple of yrs ago, but I cannot find it again. I tried to save it but lost it and never came across it again no matter how much I googled.

It asked about what your political feelings were, your opinions on health care, gun rights, abortion, education, senior services, racial issues, jobs, terrain, religious issues among the other things such as weather, hobbies, etc. This was so in depth it was like taking a test in school.

Has anyone come across any type of survey type thing like that they could link me up to? And again...not those standard type ones that come up in every google search...a really IN DEPTH survey that really tries to get a feel of who you are and match up particular states that you would mesh with.

Last edited by SummerFall; 06-21-2015 at 06:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 06:23 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,543,919 times
I would also like to see a survey of this nature.

Old 06-24-2015, 01:16 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerFall View Post
..........Has anyone come across any type of survey type thing like that they could link me up to? And again...not those standard type ones that come up in every google search...a really IN DEPTH survey that really tries to get a feel of who you are and match up particular states that you would mesh with.
No and yes. No as being able to give a link.

Yes in that........this is the kind of problem we would get on an ARCGIS exam for programming the computer to find the right region to live in based upon various conditions.

Granted, for the test, we were working in some city or part of a state region....but as it might be that, so it might incorporate the entire country.

The catch is, however, that it is unlikely to be a free question. ARCGIS is a multithousand dollar software package. So unless one has their hands on some student with access to a university system (or has the student version on their own computer), they are probably going have to pay a company for that kind of information.

Old 06-25-2015, 11:19 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,850,891 times
Sperling used to have one...

Old 06-25-2015, 11:36 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,543,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Sperling used to have one...
I remember that place.

Old 06-25-2015, 11:49 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
Quote:
A bit of a different question for this forum maybe, but didn't know where else to put it. Have any of you come across an online "survey" I guess of some sort that tried to match you to a state that would be best for you to live in?

Now... first.... hold on a second. Because all of you are gonna say you have seen stuff like that with a simple google search. However, I've seen all those goofy surveys that ask what kind of weather you like, and if you fear tornadoes or something (though those are important...lol) Im also not looking for the stupid ones that ask you what color you like, what kind of coffee you prefer, and what song you like best, and then determine off of those answers what state matches you. Im looking for something really in depth.

I found one type of 'survey' that was great with the type of questions it asked a couple of yrs ago, but I cannot find it again. I tried to save it but lost it and never came across it again no matter how much I googled.

It asked about what your political feelings were, your opinions on health care, gun rights, abortion, education, senior services, racial issues, jobs, terrain, religious issues among the other things such as weather, hobbies, etc. This was so in depth it was like taking a test in school.

Has anyone come across any type of survey type thing like that they could link me up to? And again...not those standard type ones that come up in every google search...a really IN DEPTH survey that really tries to get a feel of who you are and match up particular states that you would mesh with.
I love to take those surveys and have taken several but they always put me where I would not want to be which is right where I am in North Carolina. I consider myself very Southern in heritage and ideas but I have traveled to about 30 other states and lived in some of them so on a daily basis most people don't see me as a native here or say they don't. I think North Carolina is the best place in the world. I have lived from one end of the state to the other and settled in the middle of North and South Carolina.

Old 06-25-2015, 12:05 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
I reread and saw what you are looking for. Then I did a search "find the best place for you to live." Usually the most popular website comes up first so here it is or you can do the same search and see lots of websites.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Their answer for me was Hattiesburg, Mississippi. I hate to even drive through Mississippi. They also get too many hurricanes. I don't think weather was even mentioned on this survey. That would be the first priority for me.

Maybe you should start with a logical list of priorities. Then do searches on the best place from that point of view.

I did a second search not making geography important but having health, culture, taxes, etc. as very important and came up with Ogden-Clearfield, Utah. This could be more to my liking because I love to travel in Utah. Weather was still not a factor?? Half of the people who move to our state move here because of the weather. Our weather changes so much it is actually an interesting subject.

Last edited by Yac; 06-26-2015 at 05:16 AM..

Old 06-28-2015, 05:48 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times
Quote:
Thanks you guys! It's one of those you have to sign up for though. I hate that. Oh well
Just use 10 minute email, and other fake contact information. It works pretty good.

But I don't know about the results. Even when I tell it I want to be in the Northwest, it keeps telling me I want to be in the South/Southeast. Whats up with that?

Last edited by KaaBoom; 06-28-2015 at 06:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues