Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2015, 01:33 PM

2 posts, read 2,010 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, this is my first post on the forum, but I've been reading so many of the great threads on here which have been extremely helpful and informative.

We moved locally a few weeks ago and are still recovering from the stress and toll it took on our family. As I look back at our experience, I'm thinking there surely must be a better way to go through a move, especially at times like these when you can do pretty much everything online.

So here's a bit of a rhetorical question. If you could snap your fingers and make moving better or easier, what would your wishlist look like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2015, 06:19 PM

7,246 posts, read 7,079,089 times
I think my biggest issue was trusting my stuff with strangers. No matter the reviews, the individuals who show up at your house are strangers and you don't know if they have been with the company for years or day. Pods is a great idea but so expensive.

Old 11-05-2015, 07:04 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,611,567 times
My wishlist:

1. Realtors who don't stink:

a. They know the ins and outs
b. They are dedicated and manage their time well
c. They return calls in a timely fashion & are on time for meetings
d. They listen and take notes if their memories are weak
e. They are healthy enough to work hard
f. They can manage any dullards at the title company

2. Sooth truck rental process:

a. The web site works 100% of the time
b. Excellent and accurate customer service if you need to phone
c. Equipment is maintained so no break downs on route

3. Helpers (and I hire pro movers):

a. Show up on time
b. Listen and take directions well
c. Charge as previously agreed
d. Do not destroy anything
e. Do not steal (and I hid valuables in my car)

4. Friends:

a. Do not get in the way
b. Do not try to "help" when they really aren't physically able
c. Do go and get pizza or do a little sweeping when a room is empty

5. Pets:

a. Go into their crate or stay in the closed room with a minimum of fuss

Old 11-05-2015, 09:33 PM

385 posts, read 345,776 times
I'd like two of me as I'm planning a long-distance move and there's just me and my dogs. I still don't know how I'm going to manage selling/closing things up here and buying/setting up there.

Old 11-06-2015, 10:26 AM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,317 posts, read 8,656,908 times
The discipline to just sell/Donate/throw away stuff that's not worth moving

Old 11-07-2015, 10:10 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,659,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
My wishlist:

1. Realtors who don't stink:

a. They know the ins and outs
b. They are dedicated and manage their time well
c. They return calls in a timely fashion & are on time for meetings
d. They listen and take notes if their memories are weak
e. They are healthy enough to work hard
f. They can manage any dullards at the title company
Oh God, yes! We've used a fair number of them and most suck, I'm sorry to say. Lazy, unmotivated, can't remember anything you said, you do the work, they enjoy the commission. Crazy.

Old 11-07-2015, 01:03 PM

1,846 posts, read 3,940,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckh View Post
Hi everyone, this is my first post on the forum, but I've been reading so many of the great threads on here which have been extremely helpful and informative.

We moved locally a few weeks ago and are still recovering from the stress and toll it took on our family. As I look back at our experience, I'm thinking there surely must be a better way to go through a move, especially at times like these when you can do pretty much everything online.

So here's a bit of a rhetorical question. If you could snap your fingers and make moving better or easier, what would your wishlist look like?
I moved locally last summer, and I can sure relate to your long recovery from the stress and the toll it took on you.

I never want to move again, so I doubt there will be a next time. But if there is, I'm going to just save up more money to use in making my move easier. I'll pack two suitcases and move into an extended stay place. Then I'll tell the moving company to pack everything and move it. I wouldn't lift a finger. I think that would lessen the exhaustion from all the packing and pushing boxes around.

Old 11-20-2015, 05:54 PM

350 posts, read 416,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
The discipline to just sell/Donate/throw away stuff that's not worth moving

I wholeheartedly agree. That process should start the moment you even think of moving!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues