Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 11:34 AM

645 posts, read 1,538,974 times

Advertisements

Currently I am living in my moms former home, with the plan to sell the home within 6-8 months. She still owns it living 1500 miles away; I’m simply renting, doing pre-sale repairs/improvements, etc. I am very seriously considering moving back out west/far away from my current PA location, and wondering how the heck to get it done? How have you folks done it in a similar situation by yourself? Did you sell the home first while living in a temp location nearby, then move? Did you move first, then sell the home from far away (how do you do that without being a total stress out?), etc? It seems a very daunting task when it’s just you to do it all by yourself.

My situation is I am fortunate to be early retired (49) without needing to find work, and will probably rent first to get the lay of the new land. I have moved countless times over the years by virtue of my ex's job and my military relocations; this time around, I have no one to help with this long distance task. Thanks a lot for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2015, 12:07 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,681,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_F View Post
Currently I am living in my moms former home, with the plan to sell the home within 6-8 months. She still owns it living 1500 miles away; I’m simply renting, doing pre-sale repairs/improvements, etc. I am very seriously considering moving back out west/far away from my current PA location, and wondering how the heck to get it done? How have you folks done it in a similar situation by yourself? Did you sell the home first while living in a temp location nearby, then move? Did you move first, then sell the home from far away (how do you do that without being a total stress out?), etc? It seems a very daunting task when it’s just you to do it all by yourself.

My situation is I am fortunate to be early retired (49) without needing to find work, and will probably rent first to get the lay of the new land. I have moved countless times over the years by virtue of my ex's job and my military relocations; this time around, I have no one to help with this long distance task. Thanks a lot for your help.
Who gets the money from the sale of the house? And when you move, do you intend to rent or buy?

It's easy enough to look at houses for sale online. But if you know nothing about a particular location, that can be a problem. Probably, the easy thing to do would be to sell the house and, if you have any possessions, put those in storage or in a POD in storage. Then move to your new location and find short-term housing while you find a new house. Once you find a permanent place, have your stuff moved.

Old 12-15-2015, 03:22 PM

7,244 posts, read 7,069,492 times
There's a delay between contract and closing on a house sale. That's when people pack to move. Usually the house is empty on closing day, which can be anywhere from 30 days or more from contract date.

Having said that, the seller, or in this case you the occupant, should be very prepared to move when the house goes on the market. That means boxing up non essentials, having estimates from moving companies, plans to get rid of what items you're not taking. We sold our house the first weekend it was listed and were out in 45 days. I was prepared for moving 1k miles away before listing.

Old 12-15-2015, 04:30 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,257,774 times
Do as Kab0906 said. There is real happiness in calling a mover, honing in on that move date, paying for them to pack, throwing a suitcase in the trunk and saying "peace out". You have the $. Let the packing and moving be the movers headache. I didn.t even wait to watch them pack! It.s all just stuff. And it.s easier than you think! Our tendency is to over-think and therein lies the problem.

Old 12-15-2015, 04:55 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,604,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earslikeacat View Post
Our tendency is to over-think and therein lies the problem.
True. Or you might have too much stuff, which is making you scratch your head.

If so, be brutal and sell or donate most of it. Obviously, there might be one or two pieces that generate good memories, but keeping and moving a houseful of "memories" is not a good idea. You're grown now, and you have your own lifestyle and tastes.

I used two relocubes for my move. I cut down well below POD level.

Old 12-15-2015, 07:30 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,756,499 times
Sell the house while you're living there. When it goes on deposit you'll have time to clear out and pack.
Move your stuff to your new location but have the movers keep it in storage.

Then move to your new location and into an extended stay motel while you look for a rental.

As long as you're not going to sell for several months, start downsizing now. Then when the time comes to actually pack it will be quick and easy.

Old 12-15-2015, 07:58 PM

645 posts, read 1,538,974 times
Thanks everyone, keep the great ideas coming!

Since 5/13, I have loaded/unloaded a U-Haul truck by myself 6 times by virtue of moving. Good thing is everything I own, aside from my car easily fits in a 14' truck. Still, not exactly fun for a guy pushing 50 , but I'm thankful I am still strong and physically fit. I have very little now, and the trend continues. I have always been very much a minimalist, and really look forward to even less stuff, a tiny place to live in, and enjoy my post divorce life... I can't wait to finally settle down, and actually start to live again.

The biggest deal is ridding my mom's house of the stuff she left behind... Especially a fairly large upright piano (what to do with that?). I (my mom especially) really does not want to have the house not sold before I move. This kinda adds some stress/complications, but for now that is the plan.

Again, thank you all for the help.

Old 12-15-2015, 08:19 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,653,285 times
Well, what I did was go buy a place, then sold my house and moved to new place. Your talking about renting, so go rent where you think you want to move to, then sell the house and move... Now is the time real estate is moving.. You might have to pay a month or two rent and not live there yet... Price of doing business

Old 12-16-2015, 06:17 AM

7,244 posts, read 7,069,492 times
As for the piano, donate it to a school.

Old 12-17-2015, 10:21 AM

313 posts, read 255,603 times
I'm moving a few states away in a few months and I've already enlisted a friend to help. I'm going to have my cat in my car and I don't want to leave him alone while I make stops to eat/use the restroom/etc. I will pay for my friend's lodging, food, and a plane ticket back here when we're done. You don't have any friends you can enlist to help?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues