Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2016, 05:16 PM

36 posts, read 48,839 times

Advertisements

I'm moving from Florida to Fort Belvoir, VA. I have the job (tentative offer) and HR states that once I receive the firm offer they normally allow 45 days for out of state selectees. What steps should I take to make this transition as seemless as possible? I'm a single parent with a 14 year old who will be starting 9th grade and a small dog who will definitely be going with.

I want to do the ABF trailer, but what is the best source to hiring reliable movers to assist in loading the trailer?

House-Hunting: I have friends we would stay with while house-hunting, but does anyone have any suggestions to secure housing within a week? Our friends live 1.5 hours from the Belvoir area and making that drive to look at houses would get old (real fast). Plus, even with good friends, I wouldn't want to impose longer than necessary.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2016, 05:47 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,105,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Why-not-now View Post
I'm moving from Florida to Fort Belvoir, VA. I have the job (tentative offer) and HR states that once I receive the firm offer they normally allow 45 days for out of state selectees. What steps should I take to make this transition as seemless as possible? I'm a single parent with a 14 year old who will be starting 9th grade and a small dog who will definitely be going with.

I want to do the ABF trailer, but what is the best source to hiring reliable movers to assist in loading the trailer?

House-Hunting: I have friends we would stay with while house-hunting, but does anyone have any suggestions to secure housing within a week? Our friends live 1.5 hours from the Belvoir area and making that drive to look at houses would get old (real fast). Plus, even with good friends, I wouldn't want to impose longer than necessary.

Are you wanting to rent or buy? I think it is different in different places, but where I have been, finding a rental works best if you hire a rental agent. These folks get paid by the landlords, so it is a free service to you, but you can use their connections and expertise.

For packers, use Angie's List or the recommendations of others who have used the service. You might ask the question on the C-D forum for the area you are moving from in Florida. My experience is that the big chains are less likely to do just packing, as they want to do the whole move. Smaller, local movers use packing to fill in when they don't have a move going. You might want to have a similar company help you with unpacking at the other end, and can get recommendations the same way, on the City Data Forum for the area you are moving to.

Old 07-29-2016, 07:00 PM

7,519 posts, read 13,634,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Why-not-now View Post

Have you seen ABF's referral site at http://www.upack.com/packload/packload.asp ?
Called "Moving Staffers", you input locations and dates, you get suggested labor helpers with reviews and $ quotes .

Re housing,
if renting, try https://www.padmapper.com/?viewType=...lse&dogs=false

If buying, contact a Realtor now, and get them started looking for what fits your needs.

Old 07-30-2016, 07:25 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,652,458 times
Don't forget to contact the local school that your child will be attending and get them registered for school. In some states, school starts in mid-August.

Old 07-31-2016, 09:02 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,508,782 times
Angie's list? Worthless, IMHO. Their business model depends on ads from those rated. Draw your own conclusions from that.

The DC market does not use hired rental agents paid by the landlord. If anyone pays, it's the renter. Zillow rarely, craigslist frequently, and street advertising is the way to go. The mega management companies advertize - look at the racks by metro stops. Mom and pop managers often work by word of mouth.

Old 07-31-2016, 12:49 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,332,006 times
I've moved several times. (with pets) Try to get rid of as much stuff as possible before you pack. Have a well-advertised moving sale. You can't be sure what you'll find when you get there. (you might have 3 br suites and end up in a 2br place) Be careful to keep valuables that mean a lot to your kiddo.

Find an extended stay, pet friendly place and expect to stay there a couple of weeks while you go look at stuff you've been researching before you get there.

Get a storage unit and park your stuff there.

Have you looked at AHRN.com? Will you be at the base? They might have a housing office. The hiring official might be able to advise you or give you a supervisor's contact info. I've found future coworkers to be helpful.

Old 08-08-2016, 10:50 AM

1,110 posts, read 897,305 times
Ask this on the Northern Virginia Board.

A lot has to do with your salary -housing is very expensive here...

Old 08-08-2016, 08:26 PM

36 posts, read 48,839 times
I appreciate all the suggestions. I'm really leaning towards an extended stay as suggested and hope to get a place rather quickly. Has anyone used Military by owner for rentals?

Old 08-10-2016, 11:41 AM

12,850 posts, read 9,583,014 times
Congrats. I live up here and love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues