Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2017, 10:13 PM

305 posts, read 416,887 times

Advertisements

TLDR below
Wow, where do I even begin. Well this forum way back in 09 was the cause of my wanderlust, but now I am a adult just trying to get out on my own.

I'll try to make this concise. Basically, I have lived all over. From Atlanta, to Alabama, to Baltimore to now Charlotte. Okay that's not all over to you guys but to me it is. For a good portion of that while I was a teen we were homeless with my sis and Mom.

I now go to college here in NC and well I have expired my stay with my cousin and have to yet again get out onto the path of the unknown(as in I am not sure how I am going to get to where I need to be, thus why I am here in moving issues, it's quite literal). By this point I don't really care about the fear of being homeless again, so I actually don't have any "stress". But I would not like to return to it.And practically I am stumped over how to move out on my own with the current conditions.

I know what cities I want to move to, to continue my education, Ive applied to them all(Colleges). But everywhere it's the same loop of ordeals:

Can't get an apartment because I don't make three times the rent. And there is no where I can move and work part time and make three times the rent while going to college and keeping my GPA high. That'd have to be like $300 rent, haha, we wish right? And that's assuming I could make 900 a month part time in a city with $300 rent. Sounds like the 80s or something. I could work full time though, I did it here working nights and going to school. But still, 1800 a month as a student with a "normal job"? Please let me know if you know one haha.

Hard to find roommates because so many people nowadays are looking for them and most people have preferences and choices, so they want a "working professional" or their landlord wants you to make 3x the rent, or they do. And if you don't already have a job that's like a big red flag already, (especially a unemployed black guy lol)which I do not have of course because where I am targeting to move I am not at yet. And yes I have already done the apply for jobs out of state ordeal, Im still in college trying to make my way up so hirers at Best Buy, or Target or Panera Bread aren't gonna fly me out for an interview when they can hire people in their own city, and I don't even have an address to put on my application, and once they see an out of state address it's like.. just trust me, it's not easy. You are better off renting a room for a week or something and going job hunting. But even on airbnb thats atleast some hundreds, which is a chunk out of my deposit savings.

Student housing, would be great if I had 1.6 - 2.3k saved up, for a semesters worth of housing but I don't. I have to still pay for my phone, transit, groceries etc so in the time frame I had to save that wasn't possible. Granted its not a half bad deal and is easy if you have the money but I don't. It usually goes by semester and comes to about 550-700 a month. This is between several different states btw so its pretty accurate. Cheapest Ive seen was in rural Washington state.

And that's it. And yes Ive tried asking prospective roommates if they mind me giving them extra while I job hunt and things but they just usually opt for someone already there and working. Or a professional, or good rental history, or good credit. None of which I can even start because I can't rent, and I can't rent because I don't make 3x the rent... the loop never ends.

TLDR:
So my question to you guys is; How exactly do you get on your own feet when you don't make 1500/1800/2400 a month and don't have anyone you can crash with. But you do make just enough to pay for rent and utilities and have money saved(deposits worth)?

Landlords just want to make sure they're paid so if you can or can't afford 3x the rent is irrelevant, people want stability(working white collar) and student housing is really just corporations trying to profit. So I really do feel I'm kind of in a maelstrom of society, trapped inbetween ordeals. Again, I am used to this, but you need more than poise to get past this stage. I am 20btw

And no I can't stay where I am.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2017, 02:49 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,611,567 times
Quote:
now go to college here in NC and well I have expired my stay with my cousin and have to yet again get out
1. Are you pursuing something worthwhile like a STEM program in college? If not, why not? If you aren't, you will always have this problem.

2. Go make an appointment with a financial aid counselor at your college. If you are in a for-profit college, get out and go to a real school that can offer real help and major in a STEM program.

You need salable skills that pay a living wage. There are scholarships and aid available, but you'll need to seek them out.

Every time you transfer, you will lose credits and time, so unless you are in a for-profit college or a worthless program, like underwater basket weaving, you should stay put and finish your degree. At worst, you can move into a room in a house with 7 - 9 roommates. It can be done, but it takes a lot of motivation to make it happen.

Lastly, it doesn't sound like you can afford to move right now. Maybe you need to smoke the peace pipe with your cousin, get a little more time, and then work 2 - 3 seasonal jobs, socking away every nickel.

I just went through a 2-hour lunch/mediation with a young guy (22) who is getting kicked out of his dad's house. It turns out that the young guy isn't pulling his weight and Dad is tired of the mess and noise. I talked his father into an extension until Dec. 1 if the guy completes a chore list and another extension until March 1 if he will go and get hired at two part-time jobs (Target and McDonald's are hiring right now, and he stands a good chance of getting hours at both).

Now it's up to him. Perhaps you can do something similar.

Old 11-22-2017, 02:48 PM

Quite ironic, I am actually doing a pre-engineering/mathematics transfer requirement regime right now, so I am in STEM. Technically it would be a A.S. transfer cause I need around 40-60 credits before I can transfer to university. And it is not for-profit.

And I am not getting kicked out per se. I have already been here two years and we agreed this is all the time I'd have here. Also he has done more than enough for me, and I do not want to drain on his resources any longer. Though I do contribute to food and stuff atleast. Problem was I couldn't save much because I only worked part time for most my time here because I had class for half the day.

And I already did financial aid for my school last year, it gives me money for credits but not anything I can move with. Furthermore my parent is having tax filing fraud issues so I can't use her taxes right now on my FAFSA until she clears that up this year. And I am still a dependent until 24 according to FAFSA unless I was emancipated or something at one point or I have a guardian which I don't. Aid won't house me anyways.

And ironically I am trying to move in with 3-4 people right now. but they still need my proof of income or my guarantors proof of income. And my family members have a eviction on their record with bad credit and I don't have any credit, so I will still try but I am almost sure this won't work out. And I surely don't make 3x the rent. Nor do my last year taxes show that.

Old 11-22-2017, 03:38 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,203,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Sheep3 View Post

And I am not getting kicked out per se. I have already been here two years and we agreed this is all the time I'd have here. Also he has done more than enough for me, and I do not want to drain on his resources any longer. Though I do contribute to food and stuff atleast. Problem was I couldn't save much because I only worked part time for most my time here because I had class for half the day.
So, if there's no bad blood between you and your cousin, why not get jobs now where you are and see if you can make a deal with him to stay on – but paying actual rent – not just "food and stuff"? Can you readjust your school schedule? Maybe if you up your household contribution you can stay right where you are. If not, there may be something you haven't told us unless he's just flat tired of having you there.

If having 3x the rent, etc., is going to be a problem wherever you go, why not at least try to rearrange the arrangement you're already in? Transferring schools, finding living arrangements, getting to where you might go next – all expensive propositions that you are obviously not ready to handle.

Old 11-22-2017, 03:47 PM

4,608 posts, read 3,302,957 times
How much ($$) do you have saved at this point?

Old 11-22-2017, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Furthermore my parent is having tax filing fraud issues so I can't use her taxes right now on my FAFSA until she clears that up this year. And I am still a dependent until 24 according to FAFSA
Don't mean to argue, but that doesn't sound right, and you can get a judge to emancipate you if the legal age is 21 in your state. It sounds like you meet the threshold with your earnings. It's entirely possible that it's illegal for your parent to claim you if you make over a certain income/provide x amount of your own support. A tax person can help -- H&R Block has certain offices open year-around, and the consulation is FREE.

You need a meeting with a *sharp* financial aid advisor and perhaps a lawyer. See if your community college has a legal aid -- probably not -- Surf and then call around for a free legal consultation. Pull up the bar association page for lawyers in your area if emancipation sounds like the way to go.

You might also be able to file for emancipation on your own. If so, then it's just the filing fee, which used to be about $45.

Look, there are scholarships and aid and housing available to STEM folks. You have to reach out and dig, dig, dig, but STEM people take care of their own. You may need to go to Chapel Hill (or wherever) to find a large student house that doesn't have as high of a bar for rent, but they exist. Don't go out of state: you'll have out of state tuition to deal with.

In any case, get some sleep and then go to work researching this problem. Start with the tax problem (can you really be claimed?), emancipation, and then look at the college programs in state and go from there. This is a fixable problem!

Old 11-22-2017, 05:47 PM

I'll be honest I haven't looked up much research on being emancipated on my own will. Probably because it would be a bit dramatic for my parent but what has to be done has to I suppose. I'd do it. But I am not putting my faith in the government to house me. I am better off stacking up more money or something maybe. It just feels kind of like wishing upon a star when I can be doing something about this predicament.

And yeah I could negotiate with him but he himself is having financial strains and has alot of responsibility to deal with here. Furthermore, again, we said two years. And I myself wouldn't feel a-okay with that anyways. I don't want to ride the coat-tails anymore. Do my own thing. Yeah I know I am not really prepared for that but I really can't stay here even if I pay rent etc. So I may as well learn to stand on my own two feet.

This is getting way more personal than it needs to be. But I feel I have enough information to atleast pursue different options, and I'll keep contacting roommates and see if I win the roommate lottery given my handicaps. It's quite a shame "student housing" is no different than for-profit apartment complexes. Like how are students gonna have impeccable rental history, good credit and 3x the rent unless they are grad students or something. But by that point you can just get a normal apartment when you're making money! SO it's almost pointless. SH should be more accessible.

And other places I have targeted are where the out of state tuition isn't much higher or the same as the in-state (that does exist surprisingly in WA and MN). I'd stay in state but tbh I just want to grow as a person and prove I can do all this on my own, besides, the public transit in this state is horrible unless you live exactly on the blue line in Charlotte which is $$$(And roommates in the Triangle charge the same as other major cities, so if I am looking for good transit+good tuition costs there are plenty out of state alternatives if I am rooming anyways), and if I am paying that I wouldn't live here even as a grad. Not 1K a month to be in NC, may as well go out west for that. And yes I am including studios, if I am paying 1K plus for rent Id like to live somewhere it's alot to do atleast. I wouldn't care it's "small" or "just a studio" tbh. (Yes this has nothing to do with my current situation but Im just ranting haha)

But anyways thanks for all the info between you three. I'll look into it. I feel you guys are kinda holding my hand so I will try to do my own research from here. I'll look deeper into the aid-assisted housing but tbh I already am having not much luck. And I don't have time to wait for all that anyways. I may have to go on a bit of a limb or gamble but that is the fate of being born non-financial savy in this country. Nothing I am not used to. The unknown doesn't scare me anymore.

P.S. I have about 1K, and it took a damn long time to get it. And that's with a good wage here in CLT area. Most money I ever had all at once! So I'm quite proud.

Last edited by Black_Sheep3; 11-22-2017 at 05:56 PM..

Old 11-22-2017, 06:16 PM

4,608 posts, read 3,302,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Sheep3 View Post

P.S. I have about 1K, and it took a damn long time to get it. And that's with a good wage here in CLT area. Most money I ever had all at once! So I'm quite proud.
The reason I asked this question is to find out whether you have saved anything at all. This tells something about your ability to handle money and your attitude toward fiscal responsibility. Sorry, and didn't mean to be intrusive, but this does say a lot, that you have actually managed to save something even though you are not earning much. And what it says to me is that you will probably be able to convince the aid division of your preferred college that you are responsible and that they will be making a good investment in you.

Old 11-22-2017, 06:31 PM

North Carolina recognizes 18 as the "age of majority," or the age at which state residents are legally considered adults, as do most other states. But state laws also govern a minor's eligibility to become emancipated, give consent to medical treatment, and other legal matters.

North Carolina Legal Ages Laws - FindLaw

statelaws.findlaw.com/north-carolina-law/north-carolina-legal-ages-laws.html

So, are you a legal resident of NC? If so, you are emancipated if you are really age 20.

I would think that if you've been there at least one year and are paying in-state tuition at the college, you are a resident, but I'm not an attorney.

Anyway, I wish you a happy Thanksgiving and good luck at resolving these problems. I think you can do it. Just try to have a little patience. Look at these challenges as engineering problems and tackle them one at a time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues