Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 01:25 PM

229 posts, read 240,653 times

Advertisements

Arizona
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2017, 01:28 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,624,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinandPeteNast View Post
At this point, after looking at yet another **** shack apartment looks like we're up and moving. Somewhere.

It's insane, right?

We've looked from up and down the area, surrounding towns 30-45 minutes away. This is a rural area so not it's like I can go into the city and work and expect high wages. The whole area dances around a local college and hospital. Everyone else works on the fringes.

So--what do you suggest?

Assuming you were content until now, Why not buy?

Seriously. If you had to up and move tomorrow where would you and 2 other adults go?

hard to say.

I want:

1. Better weather than New England--guess I will learn to tolerate the heat?
Grew up in Pa, lived in Phoenix, Raleigh, Wilmington nc, Palm Coast fl and now Tampa.
I do not tolerate the heat. I never adjusted. I want my next move to be somewhere with cool winters so I can enjoy the outdoors during the long days. By the time it gets nice enough to go outside in hot climates it gets dark so early.
Plus, "winter" happens everywhere I've been. If you like gardening, fishing, or other outdoor hobbies you'll find most of them slow down significantly in the winter. Doesn't matter if it's 15° or 75° outside.

2. Jobs, jobs, jobs
industry? industry? industry? If you build RVs you'll want to be in Indiana. If you're trained in HR you want to be where people are. Unskilled labor pays poorly everywhere.
3. If we can pay the rent with #2 I won't mind handing over half my paycheck a month.
again with the rent. If you'll be staying somewhere more than say 5 years you should seriously consider buying. Rent prices everywhere are inflated and climbing. Rent for the first year to get a feel for the place and settled, do not re-up your lease.
4. Decent and competitive shopping--more than one or two supermarkets.
Phoenix is one of the most competitive grocery markets in the country. I miss the selection service, prices and quality this forced the retailers to provide. Produce here in Florida seems to go bad by the time you get to the checkout!
5. Something cultural to do like good libraries. (a must)
Culture is a wide variety. The suburbs are full of modern american consumerism culture.
The southwest is full of hispanic culture. Give examples of what "culture" you want.

6. Affordable community college for my son
know that it generally takes 1 year of living in a state to qualify for that cheap tuition.
If your kid is in college cheap there, stay until he's done. If you need to go now, look into what it takes to qualify for in state tuition in the new state.

7. Dog friendly
Where isn't? Besides like China and the middle east...
I have a German Shepherd, i've found rentals in all of the above places that allowed my dog. I do find it more difficult on the east coast than the west coast. When i ask about it I get the one word answer "Insurance". I've not found anywhere that's "Dog Unfriendly"

Throw out those cities to me. I prefer NOT rural. (I hate rural places now).

Any ideas?
I've lived a lot of places. I gotta be honest, they all get to be the same after a while. There might be some regional differences, different stores, different weather, different (but still bad) driving styles etc. Wherever you go you'll find yourself there. Make sure you are leaving to change your life, don't think that you'll arrive in a new city as a new person.

That said, On my short list for my next city are Reno, Boise, Denver, Colorado Springs, Boulder and a few more. My wife wants to go back to Phoenix when she graduates, That'll only work if I have a place in Northern AZ to escape the summer heat.

Old 07-27-2017, 01:40 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,624,793 times
Quote:

Dumping my dog is not an option. Would you dump your kid?
Good answer. You don't need to send your pet to it's death just because you want to move. Like I said, I've moved a lot and each time with with my german shepherd and cat. It's a little more in deposits/fees, you might not get the exact place you want as a renter, but it's not impossible to do.

And here is a tip for other German Shepherd owners looking at apartments. I've found that most older complexes do not remove breeds from their banned list, but many NEW apartment complexes do not have GSDs on their restricted breeds list.

My wife and I had to move a lot to expedite our career growth. I've rented 5 houses and 2 apartments in as many cities with my GSD and my cat. Even had a bunny for 9 years in some of those places.

I think the amount of people unwilling to move with their pets far outweighs those unable to take their pet along.

Sure, the occasional person is going through hell, moving flat broke and can't afford the extra $300 deposit. but I'm not convinced that is the majority.

Old 07-27-2017, 02:37 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,891,679 times
OP, have you considered buying land and putting a house on that? Land in some areas is much more reasonable than you think.

Old 07-27-2017, 02:38 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,474,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
Landlords can't usually ban children.

I do understand! But it's very hard to get rentals with pets, even in "dog friendly" areas. If you want to get ahead, this is something you'll need to seriously consider. This doesn't mean the dog must go to a shelter or rescue: perhaps a friend or friend of a friend can keep it until you are in better circumstances.
Avoid renting an apartment. Look to rent a condo. Some condo unit owners don't want to deal with pets and will prohibit them, but others don't. They own the units and may be fine with them, as it gets them more clientele.

Old 07-27-2017, 04:08 PM

3,094 posts, read 1,998,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98IndyPacecarguy View Post
Florida.
Well, everything depends upon. I'm paying 30% more for rent, utilities & food than in San Diego. And, btw, I don't live in the best section of my FL 'hood but did in SoCal.

Old 07-27-2017, 04:15 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,247,648 times
Quote:
Thanks guys.

No, not in food service. In Education but it's very competitive.
Husband in materials at hospital.

Texas is on the shortlist.

Dumping my dog is not an option. Would you dump your kid?
Heck, I would dump a kid before either of my dogs.

Old 07-27-2017, 04:16 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,328,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
Well, everything depends upon. I'm paying 30% more for rent, utilities & food than in San Diego. And, btw, I don't live in the best section of my FL 'hood but did in SoCal.
When did you move? Rents have gone up a lot in the last 3 years.

Old 07-27-2017, 04:18 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
Heck, I would dump a kid before either of my dogs.
Dogs will come when you call them.

Old 07-27-2017, 05:53 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,287,862 times
Personally, I'd move to one of the outlying areas of Tulsa or a smaller 'big' city like that if you could find jobs to meet the criteria. The economy is down now. We felt the cost of living was affordable with quite a bit of bang for the buck. That part of Oklahoma is more scenic. We rented a two bedroom apartment in a newish pet friendly apartment for $700-$800 back in 2010 while we were building our house. I didn't have pets then, but my neighbors did. The area was nice and lower crime if you didn't move into one of the bad areas. There were colleges and community colleges around. They get four seasons there so not hot all year round although the weather could be quite odd at times. We enjoyed our six and a half years in that area and would move back if a decent opportunity presented itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues