Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 11:56 PM

7,044 posts, read 6,295,966 times

Advertisements

Even though I thought I had been preparing for this move, I am still astonished at how much I have found out that I do not need.

Preparing for the final week of packing & there are things I haven't used in the 2 & 1/2 years I've been here. Out they go to the thrift store.

I've given things to friends & family. The gifts I've made to friends are 'hugs' of things they'll remember me by.

I thought it would be hard to stick within my 30 box decision, but I have a feeling I will make it with room to spare.

It still is not fun to pack! Looking forward to setting up my new home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2017, 08:40 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,316,455 times
We're planning a move too and I've been throwing stuff away, donating.. just getting rid of so many extra items that I never use or have no need for.

It's actually freeing in a way and I feel lighter mentally. It's a good feeling.

Congratulations and good luck in your new house!

Old 08-19-2017, 09:05 AM

17,308 posts, read 12,251,233 times
Yeah we ditched so much "stuff" for our cross country move. Just down to what would fit in the car and around 15 small-medium boxes that we shipped via Amtrak. Ever since then we actively try to avoid collecting "stuff". It's very nice not having a bunch of clutter and overflowing closets.

Old 08-19-2017, 12:26 PM

151 posts, read 203,978 times
30 boxes, amazing. I can't begin to count how many SUV loads of donations we have dropped off, an embarrassing amount. Things our kids outgrew, toys stuffed in closets. Feels good to free up so much space. We aren't big shoppers by any means, but there are 4 of us and over the years we've collected birthday presents, gifts, and just stuff. I have 32 boxes of books packed so far (we homeschool plus I love to read and love books) and I probably have a few more boxes left to pack, but packing them is almost completed, and this is after giving away or selling hundreds of books. Then there are the kitchen and Christmas boxes already packed... All of the contents are listed on my spreadsheets so I can go directly to whatever box I want, initially this was to make unpacking easier but I am thinking that I will go through my spreadsheets one last time before the actual move and see what else can be slimmed down. We will be taking very little furniture so most of our things will be in boxes. I love setting up a new home, can't wait for us to get this move on.

Old 08-19-2017, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliedeee View Post
We're planning a move too and I've been throwing stuff away, donating.. just getting rid of so many extra items that I never use or have no need for.

It's actually freeing in a way and I feel lighter mentally. It's a good feeling.

Congratulations and good luck in your new house!
It is freeing. My sister laughed when I insisted on keeping because I bought it 45 years ago when I was pregnant. But, obviously, if it ha done its duty for all this time it deserves to come along.

There is so much to do yet, but it's getting better every day.

Most of the books will be donated to the yearly book sale here at the Fall Festival. I'll be gone by then but like to know I am still helping my town.

Old 08-24-2017, 04:59 PM

Down to the wire now. Yup, 30 boxes besides what I'll be taking in the car. This doesn't include the furniture, which I was given a standard estimate on. So I am moving more than the 30 boxes. It was the box count which became the critical point.

Now I have to go through the car boxes & weed some more. Almost done thankfully. Don't think I can take much more, lol. I'm about ready to say to my family here, hey take this. I don't even want to look at it anymore.

When the qa dept called to say the timing could be between 3-21 days, the rep was astonished when I didn't even question/debate the 21 day timeframe. But I told her, I really don't care. As long as it gets there. I've survived worse.

Old 08-24-2017, 06:21 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,191,620 times
meo92953 - You have been so busy, dear! It sounds like you really are getting down to the wire. And when you arrive, in September, we will be entering a much nicer time of the year, weather-wise. We do have pumpkin stands down here in Arizona, and people do hang seasonal wreaths on their doors, so don't get rid of all your seasonal decor. The fall is lovely here. And, perhaps because the weather is milder here, you will find that folks decorate even more here for Christmas than in the Midwest, where Hubby and I grew up. You will have some fun driving around and seeing the lights, and often a bigger church will have a display with the live animals.

It sounds like you are really on top of this and have everything well-planned. I wish you safe travels and an enjoyable trip down to Arizona. Lots of new adventures and some new friends will be awaiting you here!

Old 08-24-2017, 07:39 PM

11,103 posts, read 7,159,415 times
Same here; we got rid of a ton of stuff, especially on the last day. A next door neighbor won the bonanza and motherlode, so to speak.

Old 08-24-2017, 07:42 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Down to the wire now. Yup, 30 boxes besides what I'll be taking in the car. This doesn't include the furniture, which I was given a standard estimate on. So I am moving more than the 30 boxes. It was the box count which became the critical point.

Now I have to go through the car boxes & weed some more. Almost done thankfully. Don't think I can take much more, lol. I'm about ready to say to my family here, hey take this. I don't even want to look at it anymore.

When the qa dept called to say the timing could be between 3-21 days, the rep was astonished when I didn't even question/debate the 21 day timeframe. But I told her, I really don't care. As long as it gets there. I've survived worse.
One phase is almost over. Now it will be the driving and then the moving in. But it sounds like most of the bad stuff is behind you!

I'm hating this packing but what's taking more time is the logistics of contacting the utility companies and figuring things out. Mine is within driving distance but it's not an easy drive--3.5 hours away. Monday I'm going down there to sign the lease and pay the first month's and security deposit. I may as well take a car load as long as I'm going. There are certain fragile items that I don't want the movers to touch--my good lamps, mirrors, pictures from the walls that are hard to pack. Guess I'll take a few folding lawn chairs so I'll have living room furniture until the movers get there in early Sept.

Wishing you the very best of luck, meo92953. It's a big change and it takes courage to do what you're doing. But it sounds like it's the right decision for you.

Old 08-24-2017, 07:56 PM

Thank you in-newengland . One of the things I will miss is the small town helpfulness I've experienced here. The bank, the post office, the utility company. Everyone has been so helpful.

I'll miss that.

But yes, it's almost over. I'll keep everyone advised of how it goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues