Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 09:25 AM

555 posts, read 500,918 times

Advertisements

We made a significant cross-country move last year for my spouse's job. Some, but not all, of the relocation expenses were provided by his company. We paid the rest out of pocket, I kept every receipt, and we were able to include the remainder of our moving costs as tax deductions this year.

However -- that is going away starting this year (2018), in the new tax law. Do you think that will impact anyone's plans to move, once this is fully realized?

We did things as cheaply as we could, but it was still not inexpensive to move our family. The net gain for us would have been worth it to still pay for the remainder of the relocation even if it hadn't been tax deductible, but I can see that it could an issue for others... especially those who get no relocation expenses or reimbursement from an employer.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2018, 09:52 AM

7,515 posts, read 13,618,508 times
1. Employers may find that no one will transfer without full reimbursement.

2. Others will just have to plan for it, just like those that have had their property tax deduction whacked.

Old 02-26-2018, 01:01 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times
Why would they have ever been tax deductible?

Old 02-26-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Why would they have ever been tax deductible?
Why are there any tax deductions ? Because somebody lobbied for them.

Beside, not all moves are/were deductible. They have to be job related, and a minimum of 50 miles.

Old 02-26-2018, 01:46 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Why are there any tax deductions ? Because somebody lobbied for them.

Beside, not all moves are/were deductible. They have to be job related, and a minimum of 50 miles.
Well, I'm glad to hear they were eliminated.

Old 02-27-2018, 02:02 PM

555 posts, read 500,918 times
Quote:

2. Others will just have to plan for it, just like those that have had their property tax deduction whacked.
I agree with #2, but wonder if it will limit some people who just pick up and try moving to a new area without a job in the hopes they'll land something quickly. (And that's not a criticism -- I did that once myself).

As to your first point, I wonder if employers will be more likely to take a closer look at (more) local candidates for positions.

And I agree with the point that it doesn't seem like a very critical tax deduction, so probably not a huge loss. I'm just curious about any potential impact.

Old 02-27-2018, 03:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedLife View Post
I agree with #2, but wonder if it will limit some people who just pick up and try moving to a new area without a job in the hopes they'll land something quickly. (And that's not a criticism -- I did that once myself).

As to your first point, I wonder if employers will be more likely to take a closer look at (more) local candidates for positions.

And I agree with the point that it doesn't seem like a very critical tax deduction, so probably not a huge loss. I'm just curious about any potential impact.
Re #1, I suspect employers will still consider either anyone willing to move themselves with no reimbursement or deduction; or offer some amount of reimbursement if that's what it takes to get the right candidate.

Re #2, re moving to a new area without a job, ISTM these are generally low-income folks whose expenses would be minimal, and the deduction would have only netted them a 10 or 12% saving.

FWIW, my last 2000 mile move was non-deductible. As a retiree, there was no job involved. (And it would have only saved me about $180).

Old 02-28-2018, 05:34 AM

17,341 posts, read 11,274,075 times
I would never base a move on my part on whether or not it was tax deductible. If that's your incentive to move, then stay where you are.

Old 02-28-2018, 05:50 AM

24,519 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Employers have been tossing up relo expenses while paying them as expense reimbursement for a long time. Depending on how you negotiate your contract you can include tax differential.

Old 02-28-2018, 08:17 AM

3,318 posts, read 1,816,761 times
Quote:
Re #1, I suspect employers will still consider either anyone willing to move themselves with no reimbursement or deduction; or offer some amount of reimbursement if that's what it takes to get the right candidate.

Re #2, re moving to a new area without a job, ISTM these are generally low-income folks whose expenses would be minimal, and the deduction would have only netted them a 10 or 12% saving.

FWIW, my last 2000 mile move was non-deductible. As a retiree, there was no job involved. (And it would have only saved me about $180).
Is this a guess or do you have stats to back it up? In any event, most low income folks don't pay any federal income taxes, much less have deductions high enough to warrant itemizing.

Itemizers were always a distinct minority of filers in the past. And since the std deduction has been doubled the bar for itemizing on fed taxes has been raised so even fewer people will do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues