Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 07:16 PM

7 posts, read 14,224 times

Advertisements

Ok! I’m aware there is no perfect weather state, but please hear me out.

My husband and I currently live in Southern California in the inland empire. I know the weather here is considered a dream for many, but we are ready for something smaller to raise kids, more affordable in terms of having property and living amongst more pleasant people. The California mentality is not our cup of tea.

I grew up in a small town in Oregon, it rained a lot in the winter, rarely did we get snow and summers were hot. I would like to find something like that with out moving to Oregon again. So that is off the list.

Schools aren’t huge on my list at the moment as I intend to home school. But in the future, it may be an option.

The reason for preferring no snow is my husbands career requires a lot of commuting. He services automotive equipment for mechanic shops and dealerships. So having to shovel snow or risk those road conditions isn’t ideal.

I am curious as to what else is out there based on people having been there or loved there. We would love to have property. Thank you!

Last edited by Skii0831; 01-22-2018 at 08:32 PM..

Old 01-22-2018, 08:13 PM

7,036 posts, read 6,287,208 times
It really depends on your husband's career. I personally love Arizona & New Mexico, Utah or Nevada would have little or no snow.

But you have to be more specific as to what you are looking for. I'm retired so know nothing about schools.

Old 01-23-2018, 05:54 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skii0831 View Post
No snow and maybe not so humid summers?
Low humidity = the US west
No snow = lower latitudes and altitudes.
Where in the west do you want to be?
Can you afford it?

Old 01-23-2018, 06:53 AM

It’s a struggle I think for me because I grew up in a valley surrounded by trees and mountains and we were lucky to not get any snow. I think I would be fine with a couple months humidity. It’s the snow we can’t have due to my husbands job.
As for affording it- I think anything would be better than Southern California lol.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:03 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
You know...maybe you'd like Tennessee. I'm thinking maybe around Chattanooga. You'd probably be surprised how much house (and land) you can get, compared to southern California. And the weather is a lot more temperate than say coastal eastern states.

I have a friend who lives in Chattanooga with her husband, and a few years ago, she and I took a girls' trip to check out some houses, and get a gander of the whole area.

We made our trip in March, and we were LOVING that trees were budding and daffodils were blooming, as compared to the St. Louis area that time of year. LOL

Old 01-23-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
As for affording it- I think anything would be better than Southern California lol.
No doubt. But all other expense categories aside ... just how much more does CA cost you?
(don't forget that you likely earn more there than you would anywhere else too)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
You know...maybe you'd like Tennessee.
...We made our trip in March
Make another trip in July.
Attached Thumbnails
cities/towns with no snow and maybe not so humid summers?-evaporation_map.gif  

Old 01-23-2018, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
No doubt. But all other expense categories aside ... just how much more does CA cost you?
(don't forget that you likely earn more there than you would anywhere else too)

Make another trip in July.

With my husbands job, it’s a nationwide company. He will make the same no matter where we go. It’s really fortunate for us and California financially is just fine. We just want different people and smaller communities. I sometimes think about moving back to Roseburg, OR but I’m interested in a new place as well.

Old 01-23-2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:
California financially is just fine. We just want different people and smaller communities.
But little snow and no humidity
If you can really take a California salary with you... then GO!

But do be sure to check the fine print well in advance as that is a RARE situation.
The other factor wrt jobs is what choices the company has for you.

Next practical variable might be schools & universities: choices, quality and costs.

Old 01-23-2018, 12:52 PM

23,252 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Here's a radical thought....widen your horizons as to what is ACCEPTABLE, and then take the list and prioritize it. What is actually most important to both of you. What is least important. What's in the middle. So many factors in the middle can be moderated by others. For example, you may find humid summers tolerable by choosing a different house on a breezy hill. Don't narrow it down too hard. You could find yourself unhappy no matter where you live.

If the door to your stable is too narrow not even a prize winning horse can get through it.

Old 01-23-2018, 05:17 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,327,765 times
You should consider a place that gets a little snow. Lots of places in Arkansas, Tennessee and North Carolina that would probably be a good fit.

We chose Northwest Arkansas but are no longer working. It has snowed twice this year, once 1 inch the 2nd time about 2 inches. The roads were clear both times. There are a lot of car dealerships in this metro of approx 500,000. I think you need to look at what size metro your husband will need to support his job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues