Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 05:19 PM

8,918 posts, read 4,652,086 times

Advertisements

It requires documentation that some of us haven't had to produce in decades.

When I moved to another state, all of a sudden, I needed to produce a birth
certificate, or other such documentation to show I was in the country legally.

As long as I had remained in my old state, my driver's license was sufficient.

Old 04-29-2018, 06:55 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,023,028 times
Every state makes you provide documents that add up to a certain amount of points. The reason you don't have to in your old state is bc you already proved your identity to them.
Idr that it says that the documents were to prove your citizenship necessarily, I remember that it's to prove identity and obviously a birth certificate or passport is going to be worth more points than a check stub or utility bill.

Old 04-30-2018, 04:31 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
Then this is an opportunity to secure these documents again; right?

As to registration... first you get the new title in the new state.
That will often require paying some excise tax too.
Be ready.

Old 04-30-2018, 05:07 AM

924 posts, read 1,677,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
It requires documentation that some of us haven't had to produce in decades.

As long as I had remained in my old state, my driver's license was sufficient.
Did you move into a state compliant with the Real ID Act? Many states are already compliant, but some have been granted various extensions. Everybody that lives in a compliant state has had to submit all this paperwork when they renewed their license.

If you have a Real ID, there will be a gold star next to your name...and you can use it to board a plane without producing a passport or federal ID.

Old 04-30-2018, 08:18 AM

2,538 posts, read 1,910,756 times
I needed proof of citizenship to get a license in Tennessee. I used my passport. The other choice was birth certificate. I also needed to provide a social security number, but at least they did not require documentation for that.

Old 04-30-2018, 09:31 AM

7,044 posts, read 6,298,150 times
When I first started thinking of moving to Florida, (changed my mind later) I read that you had to show citizenship trim birth on. I had been married & divorced a couple of times, the first marriage at 18, divorced at 20. I couldn't even remember the dates by the time I was 62. The second was late twenties, early thirties. Again, I couldn't remember the dates. I did have my birth certificate.

It took a lot of research & phone calls to find out how to get the necessary documents but I eventually got them. I figured I would need them after I started looking at southern states.

When I moved to Arizona & went to change my license & car registration I took along my packet of documents. Turned out all they needed was my birth certificate & current drivers license. So all that work & money for them was not necessary. It's good to have though, just in case I ever do need them.

Old 04-30-2018, 10:33 AM

7,246 posts, read 7,079,089 times
I don't understand how any adult doesn't have that documentation. Mine is kept in my fire safe.

Old 04-30-2018, 11:46 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
When I moved to Indiana a Real ID state, from Illinois not a Real ID state I had to produce several utility bills showing our new address, a birth certificate and a marriage license (since my BC was in my maiden name). I also had to retake the written exam, but not the driving portion. However, every state is different!

Old 04-30-2018, 01:33 PM

8,918 posts, read 4,652,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
When I first started thinking of moving to Florida, (changed my mind later) I read that you had to show citizenship trim birth on. I had been married & divorced a couple of times, the first marriage at 18, divorced at 20. I couldn't even remember the dates by the time I was 62. The second was late twenties, early thirties. Again, I couldn't remember the dates. I did have my birth certificate.

It took a lot of research & phone calls to find out how to get the necessary documents but I eventually got them. I figured I would need them after I started looking at southern states.

When I moved to Arizona & went to change my license & car registration I took along my packet of documents. Turned out all they needed was my birth certificate & current drivers license. So all that work & money for them was not necessary. It's good to have though, just in case I ever do need them.
Yeah, that is the situation for my wife.
Going to have to do some research for hers,
since I don't think she has her first marriage license any more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
I don't understand how any adult doesn't have that documentation. Mine is kept in my fire safe.
I have it. Somewhere (I just moved: everything is in boxes). All the years I worked for the government, they always kept up with knowing who I was, and I just got a bit taken by surprise when "Big Brother" suddenly didn't know who I was.

Old 04-30-2018, 05:53 PM

7,044 posts, read 6,298,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Gosh gee, sometimes things get lost after 30 or 40 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues