Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2023, 10:12 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,878,226 times

Advertisements

I'm blasting off in ten days...!

I know the relative merits of each app but have never used them for long-distance travel. I used to have a little old Garmin dash-mounted GPS but it finally went kaput after many many years of devoted service.

Do any of you have a preference for one app over the other when it comes to long distance travel, and why?

(The snarky folks from my previous query have been placed on Ignore so hopefully I'll see better responses this time!)

Old 01-28-2023, 01:44 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times
I like Waze more than Google or Apple maps. I think Google bought Waze? For long distances I'd still recommend a paper map. You never know when cell service will be spotty or nonexistent.

Old 01-28-2023, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
I like Waze more than Google or Apple maps. I think Google bought Waze? For long distances I'd still recommend a paper map. You never know when cell service will be spotty or nonexistent.
Oh yes, I already have my trusty AAA Trip-Tik! I'm passing through some big cities on my way tho and would like some real-time navigational/traffic assistance.

Old 01-29-2023, 07:26 AM

4,376 posts, read 1,693,382 times
I LOVE apple and apple products…. But I’d go with Google Maps. They have always just seemed more accurate. And they dont take you down some crazy, unneeded detour like Apple will.

Old 01-29-2023, 07:33 AM

3,417 posts, read 7,785,389 times
We live full time in an RV. The navigation program we use is designed for RVs but has Google maps as the engine.

I really like Apple products and I want Apple maps to be better but I find that Google is more polished, has WAY more street views, and generally (not always) newer satellite views. Google also has way more POI, especially in rural areas.

Apple also just recently got multi stop mapping which Google has had for a long time.

I use Apple maps if I am using my Apple watch. That works well and better than Google for the watch although I have not tried Google on the watch in a long time.

Old 01-29-2023, 08:33 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamson865 View Post
Google Maps vs Apple Maps for long-distance travel?
Neither one. You want an old school large folio size PAPER road atlas book.
About $10 at places like WalMart.

When you get down to the neighborhood level ...
it's about whatever gizmo you already have and know how to use.

Old 01-29-2023, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
We live full time in an RV. The navigation program we use is designed for RVs but has Google maps as the engine.
That's an interesting thought - what does an RV nav program provide? Just sites for camping, or more?

Your comment made me wonder because the last time I did a long-distance move with a U-haul towing my car, I was always at a loss with regards to gas stations - not necessarily where the next gas station might be, but if it's suitable for long vehicles such as RVs or trucks or amateurs such as myself.

Thanks to Google Maps at home, I was able to view potential motels along the way and plan my nightly stops according to which places had suitably large parking for truckers or folks such as myself. But, gas stations were a particular point of angst for me.

Old 01-29-2023, 12:27 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
I'm blasting off in ten days...!
Don't use google maps.

Google gave me the wrong directions to my sister's house in Norwich, New York. She had to stand on the front porch with snow up to her hiney waving a flash-flight while I drove up and down side streets to find her.

Then, coming back, lake effect snow dumped 9' on I-90 and I-80 so they were closed. I had to find an alternate route to I-76 in Pennsylvania. Google dumped me off on a street that just ended. I mean, there wasn't no signs or anything. Fortunately, Pennsylvanians are OCD and anal retentive so I just kept driving south or west (until that road ended or crossed a State/county road) and finally found I-76.

Recently, I was going to a symposium at Youngstown State and google dumped me into a nature preserve.

A month ago I was trying to cut from the east coast of Florida to the west coast and google had me driving in circles in Ocala, so I used Mapquest to get squared away.

Old 01-29-2023, 10:11 PM

3,417 posts, read 7,785,389 times
Quote:
That's an interesting thought - what does an RV nav program provide? Just sites for camping, or more?

Your comment made me wonder because the last time I did a long-distance move with a U-haul towing my car, I was always at a loss with regards to gas stations - not necessarily where the next gas station might be, but if it's suitable for long vehicles such as RVs or trucks or amateurs such as myself.

Thanks to Google Maps at home, I was able to view potential motels along the way and plan my nightly stops according to which places had suitably large parking for truckers or folks such as myself. But, gas stations were a particular point of angst for me.
RV programs take height, weight, and length into account to avoid weight and height restrictions so it won’t route you on those roads. They usually have campgrounds as POI as well as the usual stuff.

Truck lanes at truck stops can handle large vehicles BUT almost none of them have unleaded in the truck lanes. If your vehicle is diesel then no problem. There are some truck stops that do but generally they are the smaller independents. Use satellite views to plan your stops using the car lanes.

Old 01-30-2023, 06:00 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
The key issues to me would be which one best shows traffic incidents in real time. Also, which is best at showing the lanes you need to be in when there are complicated mergers and Y intersections ahead.

I’ve used google maps a lot. My recent experience is generally good except for the update that makes you choose whether to keep your route or switch to a newly detected route a couple minutes shorter. You get automatically switched unless you click on something and that is Very distracting to do properly while you are driving at highway speeds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues