Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Sprawl Vs. Congestion
I hate using a car 36 65.45%
I like my space 23 41.82%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 02:58 PM

287 posts, read 499,275 times

Advertisements

I read people talk about sprawl on this site like it is automatically bad and I finally saw a few people defend it in the Houston forum. Now I want to hear both sides in this thread so we see the benefits of both congestion and sprawl.

Last edited by dmagoku; 08-23-2010 at 04:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 03:12 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,076,868 times
I literally do like using my car and I literally do like my space. I like to have a massive house and a baller car and the opportunity to use it, because that is what it is for.

I also hate public transit, being around random people I don't know, some people who are annoying, some that aren't hygienically prepared for life, some of them that just randomly keep staring at you, and all the inconveniences you get of not being in charge of your own time. I'm sorry it is not my way of life, and you can't pay me enough to live life this way. In my opinion it is a terrible type of lifestyle. I just don't like crowded places, I don't like being around people that are weird, and theres always a few of them there... I just hate it, and I just simply hate how when its raining and you're using something like CTA that you're always at an inconvenience before and after you get on the train.

I don't mind traffic, gives me chance to play suduko on my phone, and possibly catch up with the lunch that I skipped earlier in the day. And did I mention, I like music control of my vehicle, I like air temperature control of my vehicle, I like being in control of my time, and I certainly love my car very much.

Old 08-23-2010, 03:21 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,236,910 times
I don't mind driving a car when I'm outside the city and running a few errands. I love taking public transit though compared to driving to work. It's just more relaxing to sleep or read a book, do work, listen to music as opposed to having to concentrate on traffic. That's just my take though. I also like that I know that it takes me 35 minutes to get to work regardless of if it's raining, snowing, 5pm or 2am.

Old 08-23-2010, 03:33 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,989,533 times
I don't think it is just that simple. I live in a very urban environment but either work at my house or travel mostly, also my office is in the burbs which I drive to (maybe one day a week). I have a car and hardly take PT, except Acela, subway to games and taxis if they qualify. Now my lifestyle is one of a city because I typically walk/take a short taxi ride everywhere once my workday ends. This is my preferred lifestyle but doesn't necesarilly include PT on a day to day basis. But I love being able to walk to everything I need and love the vibrancy of the neighborhood I live in that can't be duplicated in a suburban environment, nor having to drive everywhere, especially when I go out. A car is an additional expense where I live becasue i also have to pay nearly $500 rent to park it every month. But again this is my preference...

And on a car, I need one for my work, even if some days I do not, I even get a car allowance to ensure that I have one and am happy to have one when I leave the city

Old 08-23-2010, 03:46 PM

I always wondered how dates work or how guys pick up girls in non-car friendly cities. I guess it comes with the culture.

Old 08-23-2010, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmagoku View Post
I always wondered how dates work or how guys pick up girls in non-car friendly cities. I guess it comes with the culture.

you walk them home/share a cab, far better then a car having had both

plus the walk allows for so many new possibilities and things that pop up to learn about them etc.

At this point I much prefer a non-car date actually

having dinner a 45 second walk from your house has benefits

Old 08-23-2010, 03:57 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,076,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
you walk them home/share a cab, far better then a car having had both

plus the walk allows for so many new possibilities and things that pop up to learn about them etc.

At this point I much prefer a non-car date actually

having dinner a 45 second walk from your house has benefits
From my experience:

What about red lights, stop signs, and having the ultimate control of the background music and maybe the option of rolling down the windows (and sunroof) and utilizing that. Also having a drive 5 minutes away also gives you the chance to talk and get to know someone as well and sort things out, from my personal experience, most of the main heart to heart discussions I've ever had have been in an interval from Point A to Point B drive. Walking gives you that opportunity too, but maybe someone who is shy of a certain subject might not talk about certain things on a walk where others are nearby. Its all off a personal personality or perception really.

From my experience in Chicago, I do know what you're saying. I liked walking in downtown for the same reasons as you, the vibrancy and I like walking or water taxiing far more than public transit. The weather conditions however can skew my plans when walking. Thats okay though.

Anyways for the car, you have equal opportunities, having experienced both, it depends mostly on the person and if you're willing to utilize what you have in front of you. I can assure you, I almost always make red light stops worth it, whether I'm driving alone or with someone there.

Have you ever played a game called Chinese Fire Drill at a red light? LOL! Its a fun game.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
From my experience:

What about red lights, stop signs, and having the ultimate control of the background music and maybe the option of rolling down the windows (and sunroof) and utilizing that.

From my experience in Chicago, I do know what you're saying. I liked walking in downtown for the same reasons as you, the vibrancy and I like walking or water taxiing far more than public transit. The weather conditions however can skew my plans when walking. Thats okay though.

Anyways for the car, you have equal opportunities, having experienced both, it depends mostly on the person and if you're willing to utilize what you have in front of you. I can assure you, I almost always make red light stops worth it, whether I'm driving alone or with someone there.

Have you ever played a game called Chinese Fire Drill at a red light? LOL! Its a fun game.
well a cab is one long red light

but will agree like everything else there are probably good and bad parts on both aspects

I grew up in the burbs so have experienced both lifestyles, the older i get the more I prefer my current but neither is perfect unfortunately

ah and the rain and snow are the best actually, took me a while to figure those aspects out (slow learner). Adapatabilty is key though whether walking, driving, or in a cab, that I think we will agree on that...

Old 08-23-2010, 04:03 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,236,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmagoku View Post
From my experience you just meet at the restaurant, or go to their place before and have a drink, then set out. Normally just hop in a cab, walk or jump on the train to dinner.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
What is that? Does it have a happy ending?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.