Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2010, 07:37 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
OK I'm having too much trouble trying to get this video on youtube and I don't have the time to sit here and try to figure this out. It's Friday and I'm going to get a bottle of Ciroq Red and Patron. So here's my audio again from zshare. It plays in realplayer after you do a quick download.

Voice0007.amr - 0.22MB
Spade - it took me a day but i figured it out

Open up windows movie maker and import/open the file

then save and upload to youtube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 07:39 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,959,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
This is me purposely trying to speak without a Minnesota accent. I do a general American non-accent first, and then I try a Southern, New York and California accent. Let me know what you think.

YouTube - General American Accent
You still have an extremely heavy accent. And, no offense, but please don't try that southern one again.

Old 09-10-2010, 07:39 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Spade - it took me a day but i figured it out

Open up windows movie maker and import/open the file

then save and upload to youtube
I kept getting this.
Quote:
The file F:\My Documents\My Recordings\Voice0007.amr cannot be imported because the codec required to play the file is not installed on your computer. If you have already tried to download and install the codec, close and restart Windows Movie Maker, and then try to import the file again.
I'm usually computer literate but I don't feel like being computer literate now if you understand what I'm saying from the last post lol.

Old 09-10-2010, 07:42 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,646,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
When you said "Sure", "Water", and "Daughter" it resembled the tri state area accent- but the way you pronounced everything else makes it seem more like a Baltimore accent.
My GF is from BMore originally, she does the same exact thing with those particular words, but says dog like "Dahg"

Your accent didn't really seem all ATL to me, personally. I hope that doesn't bother you.
I'm not bothered, I guess I'm putting more thought into it now. I probably could have recorded this but it'll knock out my anonymity. I'm sure that you're familiar with Sodus, NY a little bit, right? I knew my mom spent time in Rochester too but I guess I forgot about the other places. Anyway, she just told me that she used to live in Buffalo and Syracuse too. I only picked up three intrusive R's from her (lawyer being the other) but I don't really remember hearing anything from those four cities that sound like what you'd hear in the Tri-State area (I could be wrong though). [off topic but what's the deal with this connection between the state of FLA and the state of NY?]

Old 09-10-2010, 08:19 PM

871 posts, read 2,248,851 times
flyingwriter you sound minnesotan even when youre trying to sound general american. stick with your regualr accent. of all these its the coolest ive heard. definitely better than the nasally chicago typoe midwest accent

Spade: southern black dialect
kidphilly: sounds general american. he pronounces dunkey and wooder wierd, but otherwise general american.
Colts: general american
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgyeldell View Post
Wow, you were close, I am Black but from the South, I lived in Chicago for 2 years when I was 4 and 5, but I am very southern, lived most of my life in Fayetteville, NC, also lived in Colorado Springs for 1 year and Atlanta for 5, born in Charlotte and lived their off and on for about 6 yrs and live in Charlotte now
well i could tell you were black, but they way you talk sounds a lot like the way black people in northern and western cities tend to talk, its kind of a mix of southern black dialect and general american. but this dialect is common in some big southern cities too. its just when i think of black southern dialect, i think of much more drawly speech than you have. like this
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
Your accent is very similar to mine. Northwest Georgia maybe?
care to exemplify?

Old 09-10-2010, 08:39 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,173,884 times
Westerner92: I'm guessing Oklahoma, Kansas, or western Missouri. Am I close?

accntrd: You are a bit of a mystery, ma'am!

Definitely NOT Rhode Island or Boston! I can see why some people who are less familiar with the area would be misled into thinking Rhode Island (based on the vowels in words like "fall" and "dog,") or Boston (with the pronunciation of "far" and especially "ideas").

However, you clearly have the Northern Cities Shift. Words like "that" and "of" are a dead giveaway. For the most part, the Northern Cities Shift does not extend into New England. This leads me to believe that you might come from the Hudson Valley in New York State. The other possibility is that your vowels in words like "fall" and "dog" are just slightly atypical of your region, and you do in fact come from the heart of the NCS area / Upper Midwest. You do sound similar to someone I know from Milwaukee...

The biggest puzzle is your pronunciation of the word "on," which doesn't seem consistent with your other dialect features. It suggests influence from somewhere farther south, or maybe even the Boston area in this case.

Old 09-10-2010, 08:55 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,820,393 times
I did one of Verseau's paragraphs. I'm sorry if I pronounced your name wrong in the recording.

YouTube - Accents

I also just noticed after all the more in depth observations of my accents- my "th" are pronounced with a "d" in a lot of words. That can't be good.
Such as:
Other - ahda
The - da
These - dese

Old 09-10-2010, 08:58 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,417,021 times
BPerone, you have one of the thickest New York accents I've ever heard. I know you're from New Jersey, but I'm guessing the accent is the same.

Verseau: I think our mystery poster is from Illinois.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:05 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,820,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
BPerone, you have one of the thickest New York accents I've ever heard. I know you're from New Jersey, but I'm guessing the accent is the same.

Verseau: I think our mystery poster is from Illinois.
Really?
There's faar thicker around here.

Maybe it's the history.
The majority of my mom's side of the family is from the bronx, my dad's side is from Jersey City/Staten Island. I'm the first generation from NJ- I would rather you say "subtle" instead of "one of the thickest NY accents I've ever heard"

It's good to hear a Minnesotan perspective though.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:07 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,417,021 times
Here's my reading of the same paragraph.

YouTube - Re: re: Accents
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.