Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2010, 02:25 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,194,111 times

Advertisements

Is it possible, given our race segregated history and we tend to identify with our former ancestry rather than being Americans? Imagine Americans categorize as a culture group or ethnicity in a foreign country much like Puerto Ricans, Mexicans, Cubans are here. Little America neighborhoods in foreign countries due to immigration. Neighborhoods where English is the cultural language and the restuarants in these neighborhoods serve hot dogs, burgers, fried chicken, greens to start off. Apple Pie, Peach Cobbler, cheese cake, and banana pudding for desert.

The Hispanic thread got me thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 03:11 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,411,018 times
This already exists in foreign countries. Typically, foreigners see American emigrants / tourists as "American" first, not "white," "black," etc. Also, American emigrant groups in Brazil and Liberia have developed their own American "ethnic" identity. There's even a city called Americana in Brazil, known for its residents of American descent.

Old 10-21-2010, 03:25 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,517,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Is it possible, given our race segregated history and we tend to identify with our former ancestry rather than being Americans? Imagine Americans categorize as a culture group or ethnicity in a foreign country much like Puerto Ricans, Mexicans, Cubans are here. Little America neighborhoods in foreign countries due to immigration. Neighborhoods where English is the cultural language and the restuarants in these neighborhoods serve hot dogs, burgers, fried chicken, greens to start off. Apple Pie, Peach Cobbler, cheese cake, and banana pudding for desert.

The Hispanic thread got me thinking.
Well if you go to foreign areas where a lot of American expatriates live--either retirees or English teachers or US military--there will be businesses and neighborhoods with an American cultural bent to cater to them. Bars where one can watch American football for example--which is a uniquely American sport that most of the world doesn't follow. But so much of American culture has been exported all over the world to begin with--that the unique American elements are a little more diverse. We have such a large country that you've got a lot of different regional elements, that are mixes of different cultures but still uniquely American—so someone’s definition of what American culture is likely to vary from place to place.

I mean when someone mentions American food to me, I'm thinking New England Clam Chowder, lox and bagels in a New York deli, Reuben sandwiches, South Carolina BBQ, oyster po-boys, jambalaya, Texas chili, Dungeness crab cakes and so on…

When someone mentions American music to me, I'm thinking Louis Armstrong, Jelly Roll Morton, Elvis Presley, Hank Williams Sr., Run DMC, Bill Monroe, James Brown, Talking Heads, Metallica, etc...

But anyways, I've been to countries all over the world where they served hot dogs or hamburgers---I guess I don't really think of them as that uniquely American at this point.

Old 10-21-2010, 03:26 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,561,719 times
A lot of foods that you mentioned are rooted in ethnic history anyways but now is termed "American".

Old 10-21-2010, 03:40 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,517,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
A lot of foods that you mentioned are rooted in ethnic history anyways but now is termed "American".

Yeah, and hot dogs derived from the frankfurters of Frankfurt, Germany and the wiener sausage of Vienna, Austria prior to being brought to America by German immigrants.

Old 10-21-2010, 04:28 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,690,477 times
Even though my ancestory goes back to Germany and other European countries and I recognize that and try to learn all that I can about their culture, I am still nothing like a real German. I've met many Germans and I don't have any kind of connection. If I went to Germany people would not consider me one of them.. So what am I? I guess I'm American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.