Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2011, 03:22 PM

21 posts, read 37,814 times

Advertisements

HI,
there is a ton of these thread but I thought would ask anyway
Here the situation, do you have suggestions of where we could be happy?

married couple in their 30's, no kids on the horizon. Like our modern luxury.
Planning on taking the leap to work from home full time, so location is wide open, understand sacrifices will need to be made.
Move is temporary.
Rent for a nice one bedroom with newer kitchen should be no more than $650
Currently living in chicago area, open to move anywhere.
Would like a body of water close by
Love walkable cities or older charming cities (i am european) but not a requirement
Access to a wholefoods and an international airport within 2 hours.
Similarly, access to a bigger city within 2-3 hours seems to be important, so we can recharge our urban needs once a month
Availability of farm to consumer food options would be great too (we are members of an organic Community supported agriculture group and currently get 70% of our food there)
We like the warmer weather, ok with the snow, but I am thinking if we are broke for a while, it might be better to be able to enjoy the outdoor for cheap..
Close Family currently reside in Wi an France.

Currently considering Kohler, WI, Atlanta, Vermont, Portland area, possibly somewhere in the french countryside but costs are high there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 06:57 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Portland, Maine would be a great fit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portland,_me
Portland | WholeFoodsMarket.com
Home - Portland Farmers' Market

http://www.curriculumtopicstudy.org/images/portlandmaine.jpg (broken link)

http://portlandmainerealestateguy.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Portland-Maine-Shopping.jpg (broken link)

Old 03-07-2011, 10:22 AM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Perhaps Ithaca NY: Visitor Info | Visit Ithaca

Bigger Upstate NY cities like Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse might work. A sleeper could be Plattsburgh, which is an hour south of Montreal, on Lake Champlain, is near the Adirondacks, has a free city beach and has a nice, walkable and historical vibe.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:26 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
Savannah, GA. VERY charming, walkable, and the river is right there. Warm weather and low rents.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:16 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Perhaps Ithaca NY: Visitor Info | Visit Ithaca

Bigger Upstate NY cities like Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse might work. A sleeper could be Plattsburgh, which is an hour south of Montreal, on Lake Champlain, is near the Adirondacks, has a free city beach and has a nice, walkable and historical vibe.
City of Plattsburgh

Plattsburgh North Country Chamber of Commerce

Saratoga Springs might wok too: Saratoga County Chamber Of Commerce: The Official Saratoga Springs NY Online Guide!

Visit Saratoga! Racing, Tourism & Travel Guide to Saratoga Springs NY: Find Hotels, Events, Restaurants & Real Estate

City of Saratoga Springs

Old 03-07-2011, 01:27 PM

37 posts, read 66,593 times
Thanks for the pictures, Kyle. Now I'm in love with Portland, Me.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:15 PM

21 posts, read 37,814 times
nice suggestions.. I am loving the portland suggestion.. looks a bit like my hometown of Lille, france.
funny you should mention savannah as I have always been attracted to that city, no really knowing why..
it is the old romantic charm maybe..
I look into all 3 suggestions.. platssbrugh is great for being so close to Montreal. that could be afun trip for us, especially if we are broke and want a little touch of french back in our life but cant afford going to europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.