Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 08:07 PM

180 posts, read 526,964 times

Advertisements

I hvae lived in two cities, Grand Junction, Colorado and Reno, Nevada, that were in beautiful settings with lots of nearby recreational opportunities. The problem was that except for a few bike trails in the city, everything else was a drive a way. Because of an eye condition, I cannot drive. Despite being so near to many things, I could not take full advantage because I could not get to them.

So I was just curious what mid-size cities offer the most recreational opportunities within the city limits themselves?

Some things I like to do include biking, fishing, boating, hiking, running, swimming, bird watching, and scenic photography. I am not really into hunting, as you would not want some with poor vision handling a gun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 04:45 PM

16,076 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Memphis/ Activities / Shelby Farms Park (http://www.shelbyfarmspark.org/sfpc/park_info/user_groups - broken link)

There is a new greenline trail that is supposed to run from the middle of Memphis to this urban park. Not sure how far along they are on that project although I know some parts of it are complete.
The park offers most of what you listed except the hiking and swimming. Although there's always swimming the Mississippi River if you're feeling brave, or foolish!

Old 04-02-2011, 04:58 PM

769 posts, read 1,731,563 times
Portland, OR

Old 04-02-2011, 04:59 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,880,875 times
Midsized? Like 100K to 500K? If so, I'd say cities like Madison or Reno/Tahoe come to mind first.

Old 04-02-2011, 05:16 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,739,603 times
Boulder, CO is pretty bike friendly but it is also expensive as hell.

If you don't mind living in larger cities either Denver, Salt Lake City, or Minneapolis will work. Minneapolis and Denver also are expanding their bike paths which are already pretty expansive.

Old 04-02-2011, 07:09 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,880,875 times
Maybe the OP should define "Midsized city".

Old 04-02-2011, 08:21 PM

93,390 posts, read 124,009,048 times
This isn't just in the city, but everything is within a short drive: Home » Onondaga County Parks

City of Syracuse - Department of Parks, Recreation & Youth Programs

Theres also some state parks too: New York State Parks Recreation & Historic Preservation

Old 04-02-2011, 09:43 PM

180 posts, read 526,964 times
By midsize, I would say anything between 50K and 500K.

To west336, you suggested Reno/Tahoe, which, as I mentioned in my original post, is one of the places I have already lived. Aside from a bike trail, Reno itself did not offer much to do. Lake Tahoe is 30-45 minutes away, but when you can't drive, it might as well be 10 hours away. I could not get there.

As for Salt Lake, Denver, or Minneapolis, what do these cities have to offer within the city besides bike trails. I am looking to do more than just bike. I know Denver and Salt Lake are near mountains, but you still have to drive to them. Is the Great Salt Lake a good place for recreation?

Madison and Memphis are some interesting suggestions that I need to look into more.

Boulder and Portland do not interest me, as I am extremely conservative and would feel too out of place. Plus, I could not afford them.

Old 04-04-2011, 02:01 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,901,395 times
This is easy....Boise.
Biking, river activites--fishing, rafting, swimming, all in city limits. The Boise River is a mountain trout stream with forests and groves of cottonwood and aspen trees along its banks the entire length of the city. There are dozens of ponds as well that you can canoe in, fish, swim...all in city limits.
Lots of natural pedestrian only areas in city limits.
Hiking in city limits.
Rock climbing on real cliffs in city limits as well as several rock climbing gyms.
Plenty of wildlife...in city limits.
Mix all of this with a vibrant, progressive, artsy, very clean and growing city with a healthy mix of conservatives and liberals that get along with each other.

Old 04-04-2011, 05:08 PM

333 posts, read 704,934 times
Minneapolis if it isn't too big for you

1 river (Mississippi)
12 lakes, most with several beaches. great fishing, expansive interconnected network of running and biking paths. some lakes are interconnected. canoe rentals.
3 creeks w/ paths. You can canoe/kayak for miles down Minnehaha
Theodore Wirth park = 60% of the area of Central Park
5 golf courses
arguably the best park system in the nation
extensive local pond hockey scene, best in the nation

per capita, Minneapolis leads the nation in
snow skiers (loads of groomed xc trails, many smaller alpine areas nearby)
sport fisherman
bicyclists

Of course the big problem is weather unless you really enjoy winter activities. I don't personally so winter gets pretty long for me but a cross country skier would be in heaven here.

I definitely agree that Madison also sounds like a prime candidate. Milwaukee could be another good option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.