Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2011, 07:27 AM

49 posts, read 107,702 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking for a change. We live in Charlotte right now with our children and I just don't feel like this is home. We have looked into a few places and nothing seems right so I am here for some help!

We would like to move to an area that:

1) has a town center, town green or something along those line
2) a smaller town but it needs to be near a metro city so my husband can work. He is in finance/technology at one of the banks here in Charlotte so it would have to be an area with a larger city nearby.
3) a diverse area. We are a biracial family
4) Someplace quaint, where we can walk and get ice cream or walk to the movie theater
5) schools are important but we would probably do private anyway.
6) a place with lots of kids riding bikes, exploring outdoors, and playing.
7) a slower pace. Charlotte is just too overcrowded and fast growing. We want someplace more simple.
8) a place were neighbors know each other, have cook outs and just help each other out.

I know that's a long list and we won't get everything we want but we need to narrow it down. We are very open to exploring all areas. Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 11:56 AM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
If cost of living isn't an issue, what about NYC suburbs like Nyack, Tuckahoe, Valley Stream, Baldwin, communities in the Half Hollow Hills SD, New Rochelle, White Plains, Pelham, Huntington, West Babylon and Ossining, among others in NY; Montclair, West Orange, Teaneck and Englewood, among others in NJ and Norwalk and Stamford in CT.

In the Boston area, perhaps Malden, Milton, parts of Cambridge and parts of Lynn, among others.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:49 AM

49 posts, read 107,702 times
thank you!! looking into these. Any other suggestions?

Old 03-10-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissys74 View Post
thank you!! looking into these. Any other suggestions?
You could possibly look for finance jobs on a website like this: Central New York Jobs

If you find something yoi like, you can then ask about communities in whatever area the position is in. Places in Upstate NY that could work are: Ithaca, Brighton, Brockport, New Paltz, perhaps Kenmore, Snyder in the town of Amherst, Lockport, perhaps Liverpool(village & the SD has some diversity) and perhaps Saugerties, among others.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:45 AM

41 posts, read 92,048 times
Depending on your feelings about the West Coast/California/Los Angeles are, you could look into Whittier, CA. East of Los Angeles, it has a really nice uptown district that is highly walkable with restaurants, bars, a movie theater (nice one, too), a library, antique stores, and some beautiful older homes.

While I wouldn't call it a biking destination, there are a fair number of kids that cycle, and I always see more serious cyclists on the streets when I'm driving to church on Sunday. There is a nice greenway bike trail that runs through it.

As for being a bi-racial couple, it's a majority Hispanic city and brown-white is a pretty common color combination. There aren't many black people in the city, so I can't comment on any racial tensions in that regard.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:31 PM

6 posts, read 7,044 times
Snyder is part of Amherst, NY. You can walk to the grade school, the library, post office, bagel shop, fire station, hair salon, and more. It is 10 minutes to the airport and 20 minutes to downtown. I love it here but due to health reasons need a warmer climate. Any suggestions?

Old 04-09-2011, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunes View Post
Snyder is part of Amherst, NY. You can walk to the grade school, the library, post office, bagel shop, fire station, hair salon, and more. It is 10 minutes to the airport and 20 minutes to downtown. I love it here but due to health reasons need a warmer climate. Any suggestions?
Maybe Athens GA, Wilmington NC, Oxford MS or Clemson SC.

Old 04-10-2011, 12:03 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
You might want to consider Kansas. There is a multi-racial aspect to most towns in Kansas, and people there are much more accepting of minorities than across the border in Missouri, one of the most racist states in the USA. A lot of blacks who work in Missouri live in Kansas for that reason.

Lawrence is a very lovely college town, and a well-kept secret. It would be worth checking that out. Don't tell anybody there that you're from North Carolina during basketball season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.