Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the best medium-sized metro area in the Midwest (excluding Chicago, Detroit, Twin Cities, &
Cincinnati, OH 11 18.33%
Cleveland, OH 9 15.00%
Columbus, OH 17 28.33%
Indianapolis, IN 11 18.33%
Kansas City, MO-KS 15 25.00%
Milwaukee, WI 18 30.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 07:03 PM

48 posts, read 131,502 times

Advertisements

Although people are leaving both the North and the Midwest for jobs in states in the Sun Belt, the metro areas in the Midwest still has some growth with stable economy.

Out of 50 largest metro areas in the U.S., 10 are in the Midwest:

2. Chicago, IL
11. Detroit, MI
16. Twin Cities (Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN)
18. St. Louis, MO
24. Cincinnati, OH
26. Cleveland, OH
29. Kansas City, MO-KS
32. Columbus, OH
34. Indianapolis, IN
39. Milwaukee, WI

Which following cities will remain the best and the most stable in the Midwest in the long run despite declining population in the Midwest?

My votes go to Twin Cities, Kansas City, and Indianapolis; however, Chicago will always be the Big Apple of the Midwest.

Unless the economy improves in both Ohio and Michigan, I believe the cities especially Detroit will continue to decline with the exception of Columbus.

Although some cities are not on this list, I believe smaller cities in the Midwest especially Madison, WI will continue to attract new people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2011, 07:27 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,570,973 times
I say keep an eye on Kansas City.....

Old 05-08-2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
I say keep an eye on Kansas City.....
I agree with you!

Kansas City, MO-KS especially in Johnson County, KS is experiencing explosive growth with excellent economy, moderate cost of living, and rapid increase in personal income. Numerous cities such as Olathe, Overland Park, Shawnee, and Lenexa have been on the list of 100 Top Places to Live for few years now.

Although people tend to underrate Kansas City, I think it is becoming the best place in the Midwest for those who want to avoid popular high-taxed metro areas such as Chicago and Twin Cities.

Old 05-08-2011, 07:43 PM

The Country Club Plaza (and along Ward Pkwy) area in Kansas City has to be one of the nicest older neighborhoods in America.

Old 05-08-2011, 07:59 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Where's Omaha or Grand Rapids?

Old 05-08-2011, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Where's Omaha or Grand Rapids?
Omaha or Grand Rapids isn't on the list of 50 largest metro areas in the U.S.

You are welcome to comment about other cities though. I heard Omaha is nice and hilly with Old Market.

What's so great about Grand Rapids, MI?

Old 05-08-2011, 08:19 PM

866 posts, read 1,560,189 times
I like the Twin Cities are best. They're almost perfect except for being so cold. Good economy, lakes, very educated area. If it were a few miles south, it would be much more popular.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:22 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,194,490 times
Kansas City is a great city.. It's too bad that Omaha is just on the other side of that #50. Both cities are great.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:43 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,875,397 times
St. Louis should be in the poll. You contradicted yourself by saying "excluding Detroit, Chicago and the Twin Cities" then listing your favorites.

Kansas City, Columbus and Indianapolis are "up-and-comers" with 10%-15% decennial growth, decade after decade, but so is Minneapolis-St. Paul. I'd say Indy currently poses the greatest threat to dethrone Minneapolis (or St. Louis, Cleveland or Cincinnati) as the #3 or #4 metro in the Midwest. The growth in Indy is pretty phenomenal and its utility as Chicago's spur hub for transit and logistics is giving it a lot of fuel right now. Unlike some posters on this forum, I feel that higher-taxed states may begin to gain popularity again as amenities like education and welfare will become more and more important. We'll see.....

My List:

1. Chicago
2. Detroit
3. Twin Cities
4. St. Louis
5. Cleveland
6. Cincinnati
7. Kansas City
8. Indianapolis
9. Columbus
10. Milwaukee
11. Omaha
12. Madison

Old 05-08-2011, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
St. Louis should be in the poll. You contradicted yourself by saying "excluding Detroit, Chicago and the Twin Cities" then listing your favorites.

Kansas City, Columbus and Indianapolis are "up-and-comers" with 10%-15% decennial growth, decade after decade, but so is Minneapolis-St. Paul. I'd say Indy currently poses the greatest threat to dethrone Minneapolis (or St. Louis, Cleveland or Cincinnati) as the #3 or #4 metro in the Midwest. The growth in Indy is pretty phenomenal and its utility as Chicago's spur hub for transit and logistics is giving it a lot of fuel right now. Unlike some posters on this forum, I feel that higher-taxed states may begin to gain popularity again as amenities like education and welfare will become more and more important. We'll see.....

My List:

1. Chicago
2. Detroit
3. Twin Cities
4. St. Louis
5. Cleveland
6. Cincinnati
7. Kansas City
8. Indianapolis
9. Columbus
10. Milwaukee
11. Omaha
12. Madison
Indianapolis growth is due to their merged city-county government thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.