Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More jobs downtown better?
Yes 32 91.43%
No 3 8.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 04:13 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,461,491 times

Advertisements

That is a no brainer. Having a strong downtown will mean for a stronger city. The city I live in, Pueblo, is doing all it can to help out the downtown and we have a special organization dedicated to doing that.

This is from their web page:

Partnering to attract retail, residential, and business development in Pueblo's City Center, while supporting events and activities that promote a progressive and vibrant urban core.

The link: Urban Renewal Authority of Pueblo, Colorado. (http://www.pueblocitycenter.com/Default.aspx - broken link)

Pueblo is, also, working on a proposal to develop more of our Riverwalk area. This is a map of the proposal:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 05:01 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,546,959 times
Heck no. The Muni trains and BART are crowded enough as it is. I usually get on and off at the beginning of my train's run, but I've been in a middle stop a few times and it passed me by because it was jammed packed.

Old 06-10-2011, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
Heck no. The Muni trains and BART are crowded enough as it is. I usually get on and off at the beginning of my train's run, but I've been in a middle stop a few times and it passed me by because it was jammed packed.
So you don't want more jobs because your mass transit is at capacity? I have a better solution. Build more subway lines....

Old 06-10-2011, 08:02 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,546,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
So you don't want more jobs because your mass transit is at capacity? I have a better solution. Build more subway lines....
I'm not going into the pros and cons of the urban planning of the region. I'm speaking selfishly about my commute and how packed the restaurants are at lunch time. San Francisco is pretty densely populated, its central core never died and doesn't need the grandiose schemes of Pueblo to revitalize its downtown.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:17 PM

546 posts, read 1,177,141 times
I would like it if downtown had more people working there. It is good to have a vibrant downtown and it makes it all the more better.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
I'm not going into the pros and cons of the urban planning of the region. I'm speaking selfishly about my commute and how packed the restaurants are at lunch time. San Francisco is pretty densely populated, its central core never died and doesn't need the grandiose schemes of Pueblo to revitalize its downtown.
Pueblo and San Francisco are two different cities with two different issues and can not be compared. Let me talk about San Francisco in this post.

I went to school at USD and am a gay male so I went to San Francisco many times so I am familiar with the area. I grant you it does not need revitalization as the urban core is a vibrant place with a lot to do. However that does not mean the city should not do anything to make it better and that includes attracting more jobs. If they do they will be passed by suburbs like San Jose. Look at NYC as they are more dense and populated yet continue to grow. San Francisco can do it as well they just need to build more mass transit systems not say we have enough stop the growth.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:19 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,760,072 times
Our "traditional" downtown can't absorb any more workers because it's at capacity. Our emerging downtown's like NOMA, Capitol Riverfront, and the SW Waterfront which work as an extension of our "traditional" downtown are absorbing all the additional jobs coming in. I think it is very important to center most jobs downtown.

Old 06-11-2011, 06:47 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,173,069 times
Chicago, Denver and Seattle are generating more jobs with more headquarters moving downtown. The rest of downtowns, no such luck.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by durf View Post
Chicago, Denver and Seattle are generating more jobs with more headquarters moving downtown. The rest of downtowns, no such luck.
You must not look at other cities. Pueblo, for example, has the Professional Bull Riders world headquarters in downtown and they are a big factor in our city centers revitalization.

Here is a picture I took of their building on the Riverwalk.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:11 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,742,163 times
If more people worked in my city's downtown area, there wouldn't be enough parking spaces for all the new employees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.