Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 11:53 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times

Advertisements

Maybe someone should try to put in "conflicting" information, to see if the quiz "explodes"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 12:41 PM

205 posts, read 389,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred44 View Post
I think it was a pretty good assessment. Most of the places it listed are places I have considered. Portland was #1, with several other places in Oregon, some in the northeast, and a few in southwest.

I love NJ, but as I get older I am really starting to hate the heat and humidity in the summer. Where can I live that it is autumn all year long, have good schools, low crime, culture, sports, outdoor lifestyle, good healthcare, near bigger cities, yet small town charm?
nothing in florida that's for sure! LOL

Old 07-25-2011, 02:18 PM

854 posts, read 1,704,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred44 View Post
I think it was a pretty good assessment. Most of the places it listed are places I have considered. Portland was #1, with several other places in Oregon, some in the northeast, and a few in southwest.

I love NJ, but as I get older I am really starting to hate the heat and humidity in the summer. Where can I live that it is autumn all year long, have good schools, low crime, culture, sports, outdoor lifestyle, good healthcare, near bigger cities, yet small town charm?
The autumn year round sounds like the coast of Oregon. I read about a couple towns before, but I can't remember the names. Post in the Oregon section.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:44 PM

45 posts, read 85,501 times
Cool, that was helpful for me. I did a few different results with different options (like small, medium and large towns/cities) and got some places that might be good candidates, especially for job prospects in combination with features I'm looking for, that I probably wouldn't have looked at otherwise, including in some different parts of the country.

Old 07-25-2011, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nettoarbeit View Post
Cool, that was helpful for me. I did a few different results with different options (like small, medium and large towns/cities) and got some places that might be good candidates, especially for job prospects in combination with features I'm looking for, that I probably wouldn't have looked at otherwise, including in some different parts of the country.
yey!

Old 07-26-2011, 08:00 AM

107 posts, read 221,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManOnTheMoon View Post
I've taken the quiz several times, with a few months in between, when what I've want has changed considerably. Invariably, my top 3 are Portland, Las Vegas, and Little Rock. Three cities I'd say are resoundingly different, just based on my admittedly limited knowledge. I'm not sure how their methodology works, but yes, I had been looking into Portland and Las Vegas independently without needing the suggestion. (Though it's nice to have some kind of affirmation, however flimsy.) I was just wondering if the information provided by the quiz was kind of shallow, or if there was a deeper insight to it. Does it just end up suggesting cities that "seem" like good fits, or is there a more thorough and effective methodology at work?
I know for me, I got some results for "very different" places like that, some that I know wouldn't be a good fit, BUT, I think for me it's because I like some things that are fairly conflicting. For example, I'd prefer living in a small town or even a pretty rural area, but I also like museums, going to concerts, pro sports, etc.--those things pretty much conflict.

Also, one of the cities it gave me was Baton Rouge, which I know is out of the question (barring some kind of fantastic job) because of the heat in the summer. I did mark that I strongly agree with cold, winter sports, etc. being good and strongly disagree with heat, sunny days etc. being good., but the quiz can't tell that that's at the very top of my list of concerns (I just do not want to live someplace that gets very hot very often), right next to being near "nature areas", national and state parks, good hiking locations, etc., and of course, being able to find a job.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:52 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
I took the quiz twice and my answers were not reflective of the communities I was given. In fact the list given to me makes absolutely no sense. I was given communites in Utah, Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee. My answers I would think would reflect communites mainly suburbs near cities like Denver, Atlanta, Charlotte or the cities in Northeast. I have been given St Stephens, Utah both times. I have to laugh because I seriously doubt I would be a good match for small town Utah.

It would be interesting to know how this quiz actually determines a match for our answers. I'm obviously a case where the answers and results do not match at all.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I took the quiz twice and my answers were not reflective of the communities I was given. In fact the list given to me makes absolutely no sense. I was given communites in Utah, Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee. My answers I would think would reflect communites mainly suburbs near cities like Denver, Atlanta, Charlotte or the cities in Northeast. I have been given St Stephens, Utah both times. I have to laugh because I seriously doubt I would be a good match for small town Utah.

It would be interesting to know how this quiz actually determines a match for our answers. I'm obviously a case where the answers and results do not match at all.
I found the way to get the best results is to choose the region you're most interested in moving to

Old 07-28-2011, 07:13 AM

107 posts, read 221,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theeclipsedheart View Post
I found the way to get the best results is to choose the region you're most interested in moving to
One frustrating aspect of that though is that, although it's not my first choice (the Rocky Mountain region is, followed by the Pacific Northwest), I'd be interested in living in the (western) plains states for awhile--ND, SD, NE, KS (probably not Oklahoma, because I'm guessing it's going to be too hot too often in the summer for me), especially if I'm someplace in them that's nearer state forests, national grasslands, state or national park areas, etc., but you have to choose those states with "Midwest", and when I selected only that, I didn't get results for ANY of those states back except for one town in South Dakota. That was the case even when I went back and said that I didn't want to live near any geographic features except for wide-open plains (which I did because I figured maybe that would finally just or mostly give me results for ND, SD, NE and KS). I was mostly getting cities in OH, IN, IL, etc.

Old 07-28-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyLaSalle View Post
One frustrating aspect of that though is that, although it's not my first choice (the Rocky Mountain region is, followed by the Pacific Northwest), I'd be interested in living in the (western) plains states for awhile--ND, SD, NE, KS (probably not Oklahoma, because I'm guessing it's going to be too hot too often in the summer for me), especially if I'm someplace in them that's nearer state forests, national grasslands, state or national park areas, etc., but you have to choose those states with "Midwest", and when I selected only that, I didn't get results for ANY of those states back except for one town in South Dakota. That was the case even when I went back and said that I didn't want to live near any geographic features except for wide-open plains (which I did because I figured maybe that would finally just or mostly give me results for ND, SD, NE and KS). I was mostly getting cities in OH, IN, IL, etc.
sometimes the results are surprising... did you click on any of the towns and read the little summary of them... you maybe surprised by what it says about them...

i don't know for me all of my places matched me perfectly... but a lot of the questions that the quiz asked were really relevant to the type of life I want...(ie hiking...snow...etc)

***edit*** if it makes you feel any better when i chose midwest/western USA for choices I was shocked by many of them too... but when i chose NE they were exactly what I was looking for
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.