Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 07:20 AM

205 posts, read 389,216 times

Advertisements

Any one have any tips on meeting new people after moving to a new city?

Having moved quite a few times...I don't know about anyone else but it's not always easy to meet nice new people.

I'd love to hear & share tips!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 08:22 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times
It's a different approach for everyone. For me, as a gay man (age 27), I make friendships from the internet, and then meet them in real life. Some of them work out, some of them don't. It's a direct, easy, 24/7 way to do it. Of course, I have about 10 years of experience with it, so I know what to look for. If you are straight, I don't think this method is the best. Straight people would probably have to either go out to bars/clubs or join a common interest group, or make friend with co-workers. Overall, from my experience, you can't just buy a friend. It's something that sort of happens naturally and unexpectedly. Social networking sites such as Facebook might be another way to do it.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
It's a different approach for everyone. For me, as a gay man (age 27), I make friendships from the internet, and then meet them in real life. Some of them work out, some of them don't. It's a direct, easy, 24/7 way to do it. Of course, I have about 10 years of experience with it, so I know what to look for. If you are straight, I don't think this method is the best. Straight people would probably have to either go out to bars/clubs or join a common interest group, or make friend with co-workers. Overall, from my experience, you can't just buy a friend. It's something that sort of happens naturally and unexpectedly. Social networking sites such as Facebook might be another way to do it.
Thanks for the tips... See im not really one of those club/bar goers... I like to get out and do a lot of daytime stuff (hiking...I want to learn how to ski...have a garden when I buy a home...etc) and friends with coworkers has never worked for me...we're usually too different...

but my main concern is when I move to a new city...how to just get out there ya know?

Old 07-29-2011, 09:15 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theeclipsedheart View Post
Thanks for the tips... See im not really one of those club/bar goers... I like to get out and do a lot of daytime stuff (hiking...I want to learn how to ski...have a garden when I buy a home...etc) and friends with coworkers has never worked for me...we're usually too different...

but my main concern is when I move to a new city...how to just get out there ya know?
Understandable. I'm not a bar/club person either. Maybe once or twice a year, I will be dragged into one by a friend, though. But clubs and bars, from my experience, tend to attract too much riff raff. Nowadays, I really think the internet plays an instrumental role in getting to know people and make friends. Let's face it though. Most real friendships are formed from being in school/college, sometimes co-workers, or through other friends. I don't have a lot of friends, but when I look through my contacts on my BlackBerry or buddies on AIM, this is how I became friends with them, and I'm introverted. For me, a number of my friends were made from the internet, too, especially seeing that most of my college friends are moving away, getting married, etc.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:19 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Make every outting an opportunity to meet people.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:26 AM

Default hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Make every outting an opportunity to meet people.
see that's such a foreign concept from where I live... people are so into themselves and too busy to be bothered

Old 07-29-2011, 03:01 PM

Default .

Anyone else have additional tips?

Old 07-29-2011, 03:33 PM

749 posts, read 1,316,398 times
Join a gym, YMCA, any local sports league(softball, kickball, etc) if you're interested in that. Volunteering is another approach.

Old 07-29-2011, 04:34 PM

2,722 posts, read 6,111,377 times
Do you golf? Show up at a course, and they'll generally help up pair up with a small group.

Old 07-29-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
Do you golf? Show up at a course, and they'll generally help up pair up with a small group.
LOL i'm trying to move away from golf courses! LOL No I'm not a golfer... but excellent advice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.