Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 09:55 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,153,088 times

Advertisements

After reading your post for the day, I decided to do this...

I have just one thing to say, ..............

Thanks a f*&ck*n bunch,..

I got shot in the arm, beatin,robbed, dragged, and left for dead..............Thanks again op, Dont think I'll be listening to you anymore...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 08:24 AM

2,602 posts, read 8,306,244 times
Yeah, sometimes. Just because I like driving around. I got stopped by the police because apparently a white guy driving around in a black neighborhood = looking for drugs. So, I ended up with a trespassing warning. They just laughed when I told them I was driving around. Should've pulled the "lost tourist" routine.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:10 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,820,393 times
IS this a serious question haha? I drive through places good and bad becuse i need to get from point A to point B... And i'm in NoNJ, so yea, i been through plenty of hoods and plenty of extremely wealthy places.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:09 AM

191 posts, read 809,889 times
Before I visit a city with I study it in to avoid the Bad Side Of Town, not go to it for kicks! With Google Earth I can usually find the projects, the zoom in to Street View to have a look around. I think I have kept myself safe this way when I went to Cleveland, Youngstown, Akron, Cincinnati, Dayton, and South Bend.

Old 07-15-2009, 02:00 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,528,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardmanite View Post
Skatealoneskatetogether, I have actually explored lots of middle class neighborhoods, as well as poorer ones and wealthier ones. I just like to look at the architecture and get a "feel" for the area.

And ScrantonWB, are you serious that Scranton hadn't had a murder in over two years? That is amazing compared to many cities out here in the rust belt. I think Youngstown has had about 20 so far this year. And our homicide rate has really declined since the mid-90s.
The Scranton Wilkes-Barre metropolitan area of 550,000 residents does and has had one of the lowest violent crime rates in the nation.

Old 07-15-2009, 12:27 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,942,377 times
Not a good idea. Especially if you are from the "nice" part of town and show the part...

First you'll have to be worried about the criminals thinking your easy prey...

Second you'll have to worry about the cops thinking your "suspicious" being in that part of town....because one of the main reasons people go from nice parts of town to bad parts of town is to go and buy drugs...

Old 07-16-2009, 07:19 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,303,143 times
I see nothing wrong with it. It gives you a reality check. But I hope you're careful in your straying.

Two years ago we drove around and studied the 9th Ward when we went to New Orleans. It was fine, although my husband noticed a car following us discreetly. We went to N.O. again this year, about two weeks after the Military Police left, and I had this nasty 'gut feeling' to stay the hell out of there, so we did. I've learned to trust my instincts.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:48 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vader View Post
Its the first place I go...

I honestly would live in the ghetto if crime rates were equal to or lower where I live.Serioulsy! Its usually cheaper and closer to where I work. Whenever I go to a new city I always tell the person Im with to go where lower income black residents live. Usually its in the heart of the city so naturally it has more culture and you always see some sort of strange and bizzare activity.
What are you getting this nonsense from? You obviously have ot been around the real ghetto?
But on the other hand, if you think drinking a bottle of Md 20 20 from a brown paper bag at 11 am outside a grocery store while some old lady is getting beat down by a purse snatcher 15 feet away and nobody bother to help her.
Or why not strolling around blocks of boarded up houses among the drug dealers, dealing in broad daylight right in front of the cops that doesn't even bother to take a second glance. If thats culture to you.
Welcome to Memphis TN!

Old 07-16-2009, 09:51 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,241,918 times
Yeah, I am from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.