Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 03:18 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,097,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
Baltimore and DC are very different culturally
I didn't notice any of that...they are only 50 miles apart and their metro regions overlap...I would have to argue that from today's standpoint, Washington D.C. is very much like a Northeastern city. Baltimore and Philadelphia influence it far more than Richmond. Yes it does have Southern influences, but not enough to cloud where it belongs. The Bos-Wash corridor is a cultural tie as well as an urban one, and Washington represents the southernmost extent of the Northeastern seaboard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 04:54 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Been all over the country, and to DC dozens of times. From what I've seen and heard, it's a straight up northeastern city to me.

Old 10-30-2011, 05:16 PM

2,596 posts, read 4,658,144 times
Default boredathomeredskinssuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
I didn't notice any of that...they are only 50 miles apart and their metro regions overlap...I would have to argue that from today's standpoint, Washington D.C. is very much like a Northeastern city. Baltimore and Philadelphia influence it far more than Richmond. Yes it does have Southern influences, but not enough to cloud where it belongs. The Bos-Wash corridor is a cultural tie as well as an urban one, and Washington represents the southernmost extent of the Northeastern seaboard.
Again they are very different. Baltimore and philly don't influence DC any more than Atlanta or VA. Ppl in VA listen to DC gogo more than ppl from Baltimore. Among AA's DC folks don't even say "yo" like a typical northeast city.

Old 10-30-2011, 06:06 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,739,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
Again they are very different. Baltimore and philly don't influence DC any more than Atlanta or VA. Ppl in VA listen to DC gogo more than ppl from Baltimore. Among AA's DC folks don't even say "yo" like a typical northeast city.
This is pretty accurate. From my experience i go up there a lot. I would say after spending my whole life in the deep south and visiting the major cities of both the southeast and northeast. The real true blue northeast begins in Baltimore.

Old 10-30-2011, 06:08 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
DC is no New Orleans when it comes to uniqueness, It's a mix of different regional cultures mixed in one. I'd say it's more influenced by the NE than the south though.

Old 10-30-2011, 06:19 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,585,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
DC has a lot of southern transplants there making it feel more southern. DC just feels different from phildelphia, new york, boston, etc. Those are the true northeast cities. DC reminds me a a lot of Atlanta
It's not just the Southern transplants that give it that feel. It has a Southern heritage, too. It had a black majority population well before any Northern city did, and also has a history of Southern social structure, including Jim Crow. It only became "Northernized" in the past few decades of its long history.

Old 10-31-2011, 12:07 AM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,097,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
It's not just the Southern transplants that give it that feel. It has a Southern heritage, too. It had a black majority population well before any Northern city did, and also has a history of Southern social structure, including Jim Crow. It only became "Northernized" in the past few decades of its long history.
I'm not entirely sure I'd say the past few decades...Jim Crow's presence suggests a Southern influence, but doesn't establish where the South begins and ends IMO. It was just one influence, and it wasn't nearly as strong as in the South. I can say that D.C. was one of the places blacks went to in the Great Migration. I will agree though that it has become much more Northern over the past few decades. It is the nation's capital, so really, it reflects the country pretty well.

Old 11-17-2011, 03:02 PM

354 posts, read 785,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
from an AA standpoint..dc and bmore are completely different culturally.. everything from the fashion, accents, music(gogo vs house music), and the overall look of the cities

but to what has a more influence on DC.. yea it is unique it has both norheastern and southestern traits but i would probly give the edge to the south. dont forget most of us here have families from southern VA all the way down to valdosta, ga

but honestly it depends on what part of the city..the northern parts of DC(NW, downtown) is more eastcoast like..its more of a fast pace living, taller building, highrise condos/apts, well diversed, u can walk down georgia ave and see every ethnicity there is, u have projects located rite across the street from half million$ rowhouses......but the southside of dc is a completely different vibe. its pretty much 98% black, majority poverty, and slower pace. even our accents have a somewhat southern twang to it compared to folks in northern parts of DC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.