Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 07:54 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,876,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
True, but it wasn't exactly the booming city that it is today. 40 years ago Charlotte didn't have the economic influence it has today, and that's what I'm saying about Charleston. One day, don't be suprized if Charleston has an unexpected pattern of growth that is starting to happen now.
if that happened it would be surprising. The expectation is stagnant growth or a gradual decline.

Im rooting for charleston to recover but i find your expectations to be unrealistic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 07:59 PM

6,077 posts, read 9,107,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
if that happened it would be surprising. The expectation is stagnant growth or a gradual decline.

Im rooting for charleston to recover but i find your expectations to be unrealistic.
If they build an Ethane Craker here, we could see 12,000 new good paying jobs. If that happens, which is "expected", then we could see a boom here.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:04 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,876,572 times
Quote:
If they build an Ethane Craker here, we could see 12,000 new good paying jobs. If that happens, which is "expected", then we could see a boom here.
It would help Charleston but boom is the wrong word. It could lead to a partial recovery of a city that has been declining for decades.

Hopefully charleston has hit rock bottom and can start recovery.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:39 PM

6,077 posts, read 9,107,153 times
I'd say Charleston hit rock bottom in 2000, and has was stagnet until around 2007. We've seen a good bit of industrial and business growth since then. and with the natural gas boom here, we have seen alot of chemical based industries and research institutions gaining steam here. The tech park here will be a huge asset to the city and state in a few years.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:19 PM

170 posts, read 347,604 times
Quote:
I'd say Charleston hit rock bottom in 2000, and has was stagnet until around 2007. We've seen a good bit of industrial and business growth since then. and with the natural gas boom here, we have seen alot of chemical based industries and research institutions gaining steam here. The tech park here will be a huge asset to the city and state in a few years.
I lived in South Charleston for a few years. Know some folks in Huntington, Logan, and Beckly as well. I remember the days of the Sternwheel Regatta. I also lived there when Randy Moss was in high school over in Rand, WV. Those were the days. Remember epic basketball battles between DuPont (Moss' team) and Woodrow Wilson (Beckly), that had the Neighbor brothers at the time. When I moved to Tennessee I kept telling folks down here about this Randy Moss dude who was gonna light up the world. They all said Randy who?....the rest was history.

On the other hand, I think Charleston is a bit under rated for its size. Being that its the capital city, it's gotten concerts and other events that other towns of 50k couldn't even imagine getting. I'm completely 100% sold on Charleston being overlooked.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:29 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,827,428 times
Where does Charleston end and Huntington begin?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.