Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 04:30 PM

91 posts, read 93,738 times

Advertisements

NYC, Philadelphia, Boston, and Chicago all seem like miserable places to me. Their architecture blocks sunlight from entering. A lot of urban buildings have no windows. I don't understand why so many residents support crime either.

Old 02-23-2012, 04:38 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
The suburbs historically have done a good job of - succeeded at - zoning out the poor, although poverty is spreading beyond the ability of many suburbs to exclude it

Old 02-23-2012, 04:42 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,694,356 times
Come stroll around DC in the Spring or Autumn. It's beautiful.

e: So is San Francisco.

Old 02-23-2012, 04:47 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,198,524 times
And standing in the middle a corn field is universally enlightening? Nothing is objective, and this is your opinion, nothing more. People like different things.

Old 02-23-2012, 04:51 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleinberglowenstein View Post
NYC, Philadelphia, Boston, and Chicago all seem like miserable places to me. Their architecture blocks sunlight from entering. A lot of urban buildings have no windows. I don't understand why so many residents support crime either.
It's interesting... As I write this I am in mid-town Manhattan staring out the window at incredible view of Manhattan in the evening. Just a couple of points-- New York is one of the safest large cities in the world-- and every urban building I have ever seen have windows.

I don't understand why you tear apart something that you apparently have no understanding of.

Old 02-23-2012, 04:58 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,306,483 times
Quote:

I'm not intending to be mean, but what prompts people to log-in and proceed to make threads like this?

First of all, those places are not depressing and even though you said that it is your opinion about how they look, you obviously haven't been there because you say they "seem" like miserable places. With that said, since you haven't been to those places, why would you make a big deal about what you THINK they might be?

Also, what is up with saying that resident's support the crime? Where do you get this idea from?

Dude, go to the cities and see for yourself. You will see that NONE of the things you are talking about are the majority or the overall feel. Buildings all over the country block sunlight in some places, big deal. If you walk another block you will see the sun and it will shine on you.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:01 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,193,705 times
Quote:
Awww, someone lives in the country and begrudges city folk.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:04 PM

91 posts, read 93,738 times
I actually love cities like Baltimore, DC, Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, San Francisco, and parts of LA. New Orleans is a smaller city and is beautiful. There just is something I can't describe about certain big cities that make them look and feel miserable. I know this sounds corny but I am 100% serious. I bought some Dial soap the other day because it smelled just like the hotel soap I always encountered in both Texas and Canada small towns years ago. When I visit small towns I feel close to God and my soul. Certain big cities are how I picture hell.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:05 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,057,017 times
I think it is funny how those who have never lived anywhere but rural nowhere need validation they are in a place that makes them happy. Obviously this person has never been to a large city, outside of maybe driving through it, let alone any of the ones listed. It is rather hard to visualize why anyone would want to live there with such gross misconceptions of what it is like from profound inexperiance.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:09 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,170,159 times
Okay. There's nothing I would like better than to be in a Chicago or NYC high rise and watch the sun rise and set over the bodies of water. I love skyscrapers, their architecture is amazing. I would never want to live in a small town not close to a metropolitan area, but that's just me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.