Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 05:17 PM

42 posts, read 275,982 times

Advertisements

Like I said I've never seen a USPS plane before. I see FedEx, UPS, and DHL planes all of the time but the only transport vehicle I've seen with USPS are tractor trailors.

Does US mail just fly on commercial flights?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 06:42 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,843,182 times
For the most part they contract planes to fly the mail. Smaller planes from outlying areas into larger distribution centers then large commercial planes from one regional area to others. I knew a pilot up in Northern Maine that flew to a lot of the small airports and picked up the mail, then delivered it to either the Bangor or Portland airport. From there it was sorted further and loaded on larger planes to other areas.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:50 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,360,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAkid View Post
GREAT QUESTION! I've often wondered the same thing. When I'm a commercial flight, is any US Mail being carried in the cargo area? I would think that there would be some. If not, whose planes are carrying it?

Old 04-12-2012, 09:09 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,660,903 times
The answer is YES, and it has been that way since the 1920's. However, some USPS mail is contracted out to other carriers. The USPS is in somewhat of a crisis mode right now with major cutbacks coming. Mail delivery is going to slow down significantly in the next three years. Ironic, since most of the USPS service history has been based on faster delivery. Who would have thunk?

Old 04-13-2012, 07:50 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,373,478 times
USPS doesn't own any planes. They contract out to commercial passenger airlines but also to their competition, fedex and ups and some others.

If you're wondering who's idea that was, fedex and ups spend millions every year lobbying for rules that have lead to the ailing, decrepit state you see the USPS in today.

Old 04-13-2012, 08:21 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
When I follow the tracking on shipments, I often find that UPS and FedEx simply mail their packages. The tracking history will show that UPS picked up the package from the shipper and drove it to the nearest post office, where they simply mailed it via USPS to a UPS office near my house. The post office delivered it to the UPS office, who then threw it in a truck and brought it to my house.

Most mail still goes by surface, unless the distance is long enough to warrant a commercial flight between major airports, like my credit card bill from Delaware to Texas. I once worked in an office in Hiawatha, Kansas, that subscribed to the daily newspaper from Falls City, Nebraska, which was about 20 miles away. The paper was mailed from Falls City, and went by truck to a sorting station in Linclon NE. It was then transported in a bulk load from there to Topeka KS, where it was sorted again, and brought by truck to Hiawatha for delivery to my office. There is no airport in Tokeka, nor in Lincoln, so apparently the newspaper was driven in an overnight truck from Lincoln to Topeka, passing near both Falls City and Hiawatha on the way. A total distance of 320 miles, to wind up 20 miles from where it started, and sorted four times.

There is an even faster service that you don't know about. Bank checks. If I mail you a check for merchandise, and you cash the check and ship the article the same hour, the check will be in my bank and funds debited before I receive my product, because banks have an even faster system of clearing their checks. I don't know how they do it, but its faster than the mail.

Last edited by jtur88; 04-13-2012 at 08:32 AM..

Old 04-13-2012, 09:51 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,545,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAkid View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
GREAT QUESTION! I've often wondered the same thing. When I'm a commercial flight, is any US Mail being carried in the cargo area? I would think that there would be some. If not, whose planes are carrying it?
Yes, US mail is often flown alongside passenger baggage and other cargo on commercial flights. Sometimes, carrying mail is a larger revenue generator than carrying people.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:19 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,373,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
When I follow the tracking on shipments, I often find that UPS and FedEx simply mail their packages. The tracking history will show that UPS picked up the package from the shipper and drove it to the nearest post office, where they simply mailed it via USPS to a UPS office near my house. The post office delivered it to the UPS office, who then threw it in a truck and brought it to my house.
This refers to to certain services that the private shippers offer.
There's also Fedex SmartPost. The way that works is special fedex truck will pick up large quantities of usually small or lightweight shipments from a shipper and take them to a special facility just for processing the smart post shipments. The final mile delivery is made by the USPS.

These services take advantage of the postal service, who operates at huge losses. Rather than telling the private shippers to use their own infrastructure, USPS welcomes this with open arms.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:27 AM

5,863 posts, read 11,919,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I have never seen this! I've worked in logistics and not that I don't believe you, but I can't say that I have ever seen UPS or Fed Ex passing packages to USPS. UPS has various hubs that receive and sort the packages and you normally see the scans taking place there. For example, when I order shoes from Zappos, they start out at Sparks, NV and are trucked to either Chicago or Dallas (Mesquite) where they are scanned and put on a truck to Austin.

I do know for a fact that the USPS uses commercial airlines as well as any and all freight carriers who will sell them space.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:32 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,360,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
Yes, US mail is often flown alongside passenger baggage and other cargo on commercial flights. Sometimes, carrying mail is a larger revenue generator than carrying people.
That's what I thought. Carry more mail. Give us more discounted seats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.