Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2012, 08:32 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftyTrav View Post
In N Out makes a good burger for a chain, but it's not nearly the end-all be-all that some crack it up to be. A good burger at a good price and that's about it. When I lived in the Midwest for a bit, I actually preferred Culver's to it.

Any number of places here in the Bay Area have it beat as well.

Culvers is the best burger around, weve got Culvers here in Michigan and they are quite popular here. Sonic from down south is pretty good too, but I think Culvers have them beat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 08:32 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,520,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
The point is being missed. In-N-Out in Las Vegas (the one near the strip) is basically a tourist destination all unto itself. The second someone hears "It's mainly in California", they get excited. I've seen it myself.

People visiting from all over the US want to say they've had In-N-Out. They'll even post it on twitter and take a picture of the receipt to show their friends in the midwest.
Jimbo covered it, but it bears repeating. People don't get excited because the restaurant came from California, they get excited because it's almost exclusive to that state. It would be the same thing if it was the same restaurant but mainly only in Florida. That fact that it has so many fans for its supposedly great food and is not readily available to everyone is the draw. You have drawn a terribly deluded conclusion from whatever observations you've had of this.

We've already mentioned the same phenomena with other non-California restaurants. It's not the state of origin that's the draw except maybe for a small handful of people (never say never...) like yourself. The average person who's curious to see what the big deal is, isn't soiling them-self over the fact that eating those burgers will bring them closer to California in spirit.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:33 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,717,534 times
Quote:
Five Guys would not produce the same long lines and fascination that In-N-Out would. You've actually simplified the argument for me. Indianapolis would brag incessantly if In-N-Out came to town.
well this is just false. I've seen it with my own eyes when five guys opened up in a new area and people lined up out the door to get it.
Not my cup of tea but people seem to like it.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:34 PM

637 posts, read 1,015,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB8abovetherim View Post
I think this thread proves mainly that people like to talk sh*t on California. That's cool and all but, damn, I didn't realize it was THIS MANY people that did it.
It doesn't help that California is pretty much the definition of

1) Dysfunctional Government
2) Runaway Debt
3) Rampant Illegal Immigration
4) Degradation of American Society through less the moral values
5) Despite all that, residents are STILL extremely arrogant, even moreso than Texans and New Yorkers

Old 05-02-2012, 08:42 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,417,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Foodie 215 View Post

2) Runaway Debt
5) Despite all that, residents are STILL extremely arrogant, even moreso than Texans and New Yorkers
Care to elaborate on #4?

Old 05-02-2012, 09:09 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,755,076 times
This is entertaining. Half the posters in this topic can't seem to admit that being "Californian" is a reason for In-N-Out's popularity. They all wish they had it in their respective hometown, even if they hate fast-food. They know it would make the rival cities jealous. Houston wants it, Dallas has it.

As for #4, great moral values here.

Thousands of students still take their licks in Texas schools | Special Reports | News f...

They can still legally use paddles in Texas schools. That's "conservative".

Old 05-02-2012, 09:12 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,947,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Foodie 215 View Post

2) Runaway Debt
I'm not extremetly arrogant. But yeah, sweet generalizations dude.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:16 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times
Its not my post but Ill give my 2 cents on what is ment by "degradation of American society through less moral values" California is known for its liberalism when it comes to sexual morality. Things that are considered wrong in other parts of the nation such as homosexuality are openly embraced in Californication land. General promiscuity is more common there. Drug culture, street culture and all sorts of sub-cultures thrive in California. California is also known for self absorbed people. This is also a moral issue, an entire state filled with narcicissim. Think the Kardashians, or Paris Hilton, all people like them think only of themselves and live life as if they are the only ones that matter on the planet. The lifestyle of people like the ones I listed are associated with California just as much as Snooki is associated with New Joysiee. Like it or not most Americans think about the things I mentioned when they think of California. Normal people dont run off to "find themselves" in Indiana or Michigan. They dont go to Alabama to find themselves either. They go to California, a place where moral misfits are more acceptable.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:16 PM

637 posts, read 1,015,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB8abovetherim View Post
I'm not extremetly arrogant. But yeah, sweet generalizations dude.
Have you ever looked at your own posts? All you've done throughout this thread is make generalizations about Texans!

Quote:
This is entertaining. Half the posters in this topic can't seem to admit that being "Californian" is a reason for In-N-Out's popularity. They all wish they had it in their respective hometown, even if they hate fast-food. They know it would make the rival cities jealous. Houston wants it, Dallas has it.

Thousands of students still take their licks in Texas schools | Special Reports | News f...

I grew up in Queens, NYC. We look up to no one. Please.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:21 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,535,852 times
Quote:

Only in your feeble mind. I couldn't care less if In-n-Out came to Indy. We have plenty of options. Besides, I've had it. No BFD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.