Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 12:26 PM

113 posts, read 306,865 times

Advertisements

Hi

I have always had a dream to move to US , now after big challenge i got immigrant visa for me and my family and plan to move , but after intensive research for 3 months i still unable to find a place that would fit me to start

i am simply looking for a place that met below criteria

1-Be safe in general and specifically for a Muslim family with hair covered wife
2-have a good job market ( ready to work casual/service jobs )
3-can get a 2 BR apartment in safe area with USD 900
4-cost of life ( food-utility) are good compared to wages
5-do not have extreme winters or summers

please assist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2012, 01:40 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times
You've been repeatedly given a lot of good city suggestions. Something has to give... while number 1 is not really something to give up (and you wouldn't have to with the suggestions you've been given); The others you can selectively chuck because a lot of times there's an enhancement in another criteria that makes the sacrifice worth it.

And no, the American Dream... it is *not* a false one. Those that came before you sacrifice something in hopes of a greater benefit in the long run.

Old 04-14-2012, 02:08 PM

2,118 posts, read 6,377,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egyptian2009 View Post
1-Be safe in general and specifically for a Muslim family with hair covered wife
+ Unfortunately, Islamophobia is rampant thanks to the hate radio jockies, politicians playing on fears (election year), and the corporate media (so called news networks) that aim to influence elections and keep people glued to their TV through fear. That said, I am not aware of widespread violence or widespread crimes committed against Muslims in this country. Your best bet is going to be the bigger cities which tend to have more diversity.

Quote:
+ There are some cities that supposedly have "booms" related to specific industries, such as oil and gas drilling and healthcare. Finding work is not easy right now. Even people with advanced degrees are having a hard time finding work. This will certainly be a challenge.

Quote:
+I think this is do-able.

Quote:
+ Costs of living has gone up while wages have remained pretty stagnant. This is where any reasonable person can and should question the whole "American Dream" meme.

Quote:
+ Unfortunately this is a country of extreme climates. While it's pretty easy to end up in a place that doesn't get any snow and has relatively low heating costs, the summer could mean very high cooling costs. There ARE some cities with terrific climates, very mild year round. Some of them you really don't need much heat and don't need air conditioning. But unfortunately, these are places that don't have a lot of opportunity or have opportunity but are extremely expensive to live for other reasons.

I wish I could think of some clear direction for you but I can't.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:15 AM

3,804 posts, read 6,173,875 times
Quote:
Places that are safe in general will be safe for your wife and family. Even in places where most people dislike Muslims you will almost certainly never have anyone do anything beyond say something rude. The amount of physically violent bigots in the US is low in both overall numbers and proportion of the overall population.

Quote:
It will be hard to find 3 and 4 in a place that meets 5. There aren't many places in the world that have constantly mild temperatures, and rich people flock to them raising the cost of living and of housing.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:19 AM

17 posts, read 37,801 times
Although i am sure the US will offer you a different and possibly better quality of life i would be careful. People in the US are not nearly as 'free' as they are led to believe.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:57 PM

117 posts, read 229,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outsider25 View Post
Although i am sure the US will offer you a different and possibly better quality of life i would be careful. People in the US are not nearly as 'free' as they are led to believe.
You are never truly "free", you have some freedoms though as long as you pay your taxes and keep a clean criminal record.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:02 PM

468 posts, read 786,601 times
Dearborn, Michigan, has a large Muslim population, but the winters are long and cold.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:51 PM

46 posts, read 139,647 times
I think it works mainly if you've come from a 3rd world country, as standard of living is going to be better no matter what you earn...or come over on a specialized visa (H4)..where you may be offered more of a salary than the average American applying for the same position. The downside living in the US, is that it's not a given that employees have paid vacation time. Some countries (esp in Western Europe) on average can have up to 3 to 4 times more paid days off than the average American. Which if you come from somewhere like that, yeah nice to have a great salary but not getting enough time off may conflict what you would call quality of life. Rule out CA, cos even though you may find somewhere for $900 it probably won't be in a safe area..and food is generally expensive...and esp utilities.
What kind of immigrant visa did you get if you haven't got a job? Apart from H4 (sponsored by employer).. I know of is a J1..but that's for students/trainees...O1 but that's for exceptional people like talented musicians/celebs etc..you need to make sure your visa allows you to work. Usually people can't come here to do 'casual' work off the back...unless they have a green card (mostly lottery) or sponsored by a close family member that is a green cardholder or US citizen...which is then again a you have to apply for a work visa ..i think called E permit to work.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:07 AM

113 posts, read 306,865 times
Thanks for all valued contributions , Dear nickie , it is diversity immigrant visa through dv lottery and yes i excluded CA

Old 04-18-2012, 11:22 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,339,276 times
Quote:
Hi

I have always had a dream to move to US , now after big challenge i got immigrant visa for me and my family and plan to move , but after intensive research for 3 months i still unable to find a place that would fit me to start

i am simply looking for a place that met below criteria

please assist
#1 conflicts with American culture quite a bit. I don't think you will be in danger, but your family, particularly your wife, will get stares for her out of place dress attire.

#2 America doesn't have a good job market right now

#3 Possible, but not in a place that compliments with #5

#4 Cost of living has gone up a lot this passed decade (insurance, gas, food), but is still quite livable I think.

#5 Possible, but conflicts with #3
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.