Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 10:26 AM

13 posts, read 10,563 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

I am a med student looking at areas of the country for residency. I've spent my whole life in Peoria except for school in Michigan. I like Michigan as well. I need four seasons and like at least a cool Christmas. I need to think about all the areas I could happily live in to expand my options. I'm moderate politically and religiously, and I enjoy historical areas with down home people who are welcoming. I'll be a single female professional most likely when I move.

Thanks for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 11:46 AM

More In terms of city. I'm open to bigger or smaller but feel most comfortable with the Peoria culture. Thanks so much for your help!!!

Old 07-21-2012, 11:58 AM

93,332 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singingmedstudent View Post
More In terms of city. I'm open to bigger or smaller but feel most comfortable with the Peoria culture. Thanks so much for your help!!!
How would you explain that, personally?

Old 07-21-2012, 12:06 PM

I would say a city with amenities but without huge traffic jams everyday. Thoughtful people who are open to new ideas but still have more traditional values. I would generally say that Peorians are excited to welcome newcomers and personal effort can result in new friendships and social opportunities pretty quickly. Peoria has neighborhoods from the 1800s with rich history but also brand new posh housing options. I like that people are friendly and still hold doors for one another. I hope this is a better explanation!

Old 07-21-2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singingmedstudent View Post
I would say a city with amenities but without huge traffic jams everyday. Thoughtful people who are open to new ideas but still have more traditional values. I would generally say that Peorians are excited to welcome newcomers and personal effort can result in new friendships and social opportunities pretty quickly. Peoria has neighborhoods from the 1800s with rich history but also brand new posh housing options. I like that people are friendly and still hold doors for one another. I hope this is a better explanation!
I know some may disagree with me, but Upstate NY and PA cities meet much of what you are looking for. What type of neighborhood or community would you prefer to live in? Would you prefer urban or suburban? Is walkability important? What type of amenities would you be looking for? For instance, I know that Bradley Basketball is pretty big in Peoria. Would that be an example of something you would attend there or would you rather attend something more arts based?

I dare say that Syracuse could fit, actually. Some say it is a cross between Northeastern and Midwestern, as it isn't necessarily fast paced like the major NE cities, but it still has more of that vibe. You may like an urban neighborhood like this: Eastwood, Syracuse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Eastwood Neighborhood Association
Businesses « Walkable Eastwood
eastwood syracuse, ny - Google Maps

or perhaps a suburb like this: Village of Liverpool - New York
Liverpool Chamber of Commerce - Serving Town of Salina, Clay and more. > Home
Onondaga Lake Park » Onondaga County Parks
liverpool, ny - Google Maps

There is plenty of history in the area and you may like places like Skaneateles, Fayetteville, Manlius, Downtown Syracuse and more.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-21-2012 at 01:30 PM..

Old 07-21-2012, 01:28 PM

I'll definitely look into these areas. I do love college sports but doubt I will get much time during residency. I also like suburban areas or safe urban areas. Just enough space to go about my business without practically touching my neighbor. These recommendations are great!

Old 07-21-2012, 01:35 PM

For rentals, this could help for some of the areas: Rochester NY apartments, Buffalo apartments, Syracuse apartments, Albany NY apartments listings from The Renters Guide

Syracuse does have the major college scene, along with an opera, professional theatre and plenty of other arts offerings. Syracuse Arts Directory

Visit Syracuse :: Syracuse Convention & Visitors Bureau

Old 07-21-2012, 04:22 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times
Grand Rapids is Michigan's equivalent of Peoria.

You'll be closer to school too (and have lower tuition as you'll live in-state).

Old 07-21-2012, 04:32 PM

I actually really like Grand Rapids. I'll actually be done with school and moving into residency. I think GR has the program I'm looking for too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.