Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 06:35 AM

1,275 posts, read 3,414,121 times

Advertisements

I think we all love a good story so tell us about some of your local legends. Is your state or town famous for having a Spook Light? How about a haunted road or cemetary.? Any weird creature sightings like Bigfoot or the Jersey Devil? Being from Florida, we have the Oviedo Lights, a local spook(ghost) light. We also have our share of Skunk Ape sightings, as well as the story of the Taylor Wildman which is believed to be a Bigfoot, half man-half beast type creature that came out of the adjacent Okefenokee Swamp. In Wisconsin, there's the story of the Beast of Bray Road, a werewolf or bipedal canine that supposedly roams the corn fields of Walworth County although it has been seen in other areas as well. Michigan has somthing similar that they call the Michigan Dogman and a Traverse City D.J. wrote a song about it called "The Legend". These are just a few examples of fun legends that come from different regions in the U.S. So, pull up a chair and share some of your unique local legends and ghost stories, I'll get the campfire going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 10:56 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,469,460 times
We have something called a "normal driver". I have seen one once, but they are very rare. They only come out in the perfect conditions. Some of them are native to Omaha, but many are not.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:28 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,759,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pheaton View Post
We have something called a "normal driver". I have seen one once, but they are very rare. They only come out in the perfect conditions. Some of them are native to Omaha, but many are not.
Wow I've always heard of those but I didn't think they were real!

In Oklahoma there is a country road that is on a gradual hill. You can drive to the bottom of the hill, put your car in "neutral", take your foot off the brake and the car will roll up hill. I've never tried it, but I've about it, and seen television news crews do it. How?

Old 05-21-2010, 11:33 AM

3,378 posts, read 5,007,188 times
I have Mark and Mark's "Weird Arizona" edition, I live not too far from some of the featured places. Like the mythic Fort Bowie, the Gila River's "La Llorona", and in the next county over from me theres a legend of a "headless camel rider".

The book also featured the "Phoenix Lights", that paranormal UFO event that happened in 1997.

Old 05-21-2010, 01:01 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,740,561 times
Quote:
EDIT: Oh nvm. I realized it was a joke, haha

Old 05-21-2010, 03:59 PM

I just read "Wierd Florida" which is why I started the thread. I love hearing about local folklore and would love to check out some of the places mentioned. I just think it's interesting that no matter where you live there's bound to be some local legends, haunted houses, ect.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:55 PM

160 posts, read 183,543 times
Well in VA we have haunted plantations and civil war battefield areas. Along with a haunted high school, Wakefield High's theater in Arlington. Also in our area ( DC suburbs)we have Goatman and Bunnyman. Goatman is said to lurk in the backwoods of PG county. While Bunnyman is said to be found under Bunnyman Bridge in Fairfax county, VA.

None of this has been proven to be real. So it's all fake to me.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:58 PM

848 posts, read 1,952,175 times
Quote:
Really funny!

Old 05-21-2010, 09:37 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,032,687 times
The whole city of Texarkana.

They have made multiple horror films there because it is the "ideal" place.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
The whole city of Texarkana.

They have made multiple horror films there because it is the "ideal" place.
Why is it "ideal"? Is it a weird place?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.