Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 02:09 PM

18 posts, read 27,883 times

Advertisements

Hello! My husband and I are dreaming of moving out of our small southern Minnesota town within the next five years. We have two children, ages 8 and 4.

We are musicians, so live music venues and some sort of arts scene is really important to us.

My husband loves outdoor adventures, especially rock climbing (and our 8-year-old daughter is quite amazing at climbing herself, so we'd love to get her out more often while she's young). I love the ocean, so mountains and coastline would be great (neither of which we have here, except lakeshore coastline)!

It gets so cold and dark here in Minnesota. Sunshine but still seasons - especially fall - is high on my list. And, I am an avid gardener - we have started an urban homestead of sorts and I dream of being somewhere with a longer growing season!

We love to bike/walk/take public transportation when possible.

Our extended family is very spread-out, including Philadelphia, Akron, Minnesota, North Dakota, Denver and southern California. Some places that interest one or both of us are northern CA, Boulder (though we could never afford it, but maybe somewhere nearby), and somewhere near the Appalachians. But I'm open to any ideas! This is just dreaming stage right now anyway
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 02:56 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,417,405 times
Sounds like Southern California is the place for you. Unrivaled music/arts scene, mountains, 70 miles of beaches, plenty of walkable areas (believe it or not). Not much in the way of extreme weather changes, but fall in the city is AWESOME.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:29 AM

3,378 posts, read 9,209,035 times
Boulder or Golden CO

Old 02-13-2012, 06:28 AM

93,347 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Perhaps some place in between like Charlottesville VA or Columbia SC. Perhaps someplace outside of Philadelphia like West Chester PA too.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:26 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,591,423 times
Take a tour of the southeast that includes Charlottesville, Roanoake, Blacksburg, Knoxville, Asheville and Greenville. Most of these cities don't have great ocean access but they are a lot closer than Boulder!

Come in the summer to see if you can handle the humidity.

Last edited by creeksitter; 02-13-2012 at 07:27 AM.. Reason: .

Old 02-13-2012, 07:34 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
N Carolina goes from vast stretches of beach on the ocean to the mountainous beauty of the Smokey mountains, toss a coin to see if you live by the ocean and drive to the mountains or live in the mountains and drive to the ocean..

Old 02-13-2012, 08:36 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,008,662 times
Yep. Southern California.
11,000+ mountains less than 1.5 hours from the shore.
(in Orange County 5600 foot Saddleback Mountain is actually bikeable from the ocean).
Great indy music scene.
Plenty of smaller downtown areas with walkable amenities in Orange, San Diego, Ventura and Los Angeles Counties.

Cheaper living in Riverside and San Bernardino Counties (although there are some nice areas like Chino Hills you are essentially living with a Walmart/County Fair general population)

The season thing may be a deal breaker since we essentially have two: a Spring/Fall hybrid and Summer. But we do get snow in the higher elevations. Even Saddleback is occasionally dusted in snow.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:09 AM

562 posts, read 989,418 times
I echo sentiments on Boulder, especially for bike friendliness compared to the east coast. SoCal isn't a bad alternative choice either.

Old 07-19-2012, 02:58 PM

18 posts, read 27,883 times
Default getting more substantial

Thanks to everyone who replied here! Since I last posted, we have narrowed in on Colorado. I can handle just visiting the ocean occasionally, but easy access to mountains is a really big deal to my husband. We were just in Longmont for my BIL's wedding last month, and our whole family is gung-ho Colorado.

Still thinking Boulder would be ideal, but not sure how we'd afford it. How bike-able is Longmont? I don't mean recreational biking, but transportational - are there bike lanes/paths around the city center? (and is there a decent city center? We stayed in Lyons and just drove to the outside of Longmont for the wedding, didn't get to explore the city unfortunately).

Is there any public transportation in Longmont?

And tell me more about Golden. Or even Denver. Or another town in that area you'd recommend. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.