Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 11:27 AM

2,253 posts, read 6,985,636 times

Advertisements

"Under U.S. law, mail delivery is a "basic and fundamental" government function meant to "bind the nation together" by providing service to "all communities" at a reasonable price." [1]

There is an interesting article in today's 'Wall Street Journal' outlining plans of the US Post Office to considerably reduce the number of individual post offices.

This article begins by saying, "The U.S. Postal Service plays two roles in America: an agency that keeps rural areas linked to the rest of the nation, and one that loses a lot of money." In consideration, I wondered, 'what about the primary role of delivering mail'? Which of course true, but that noted by the WSJ is true as well, if perhaps even more so.

Personally, I could more or less do without the post office, and have at times. Most of my correspondence is online, with any packages more usually delivered by UPS. But in a certain irony I happen to live in a place where the mail is hand delivered to my private mail box, without the need others have to walk or drive to wherever the US Post Office has deigned to put numerous gang boxes for their convenience. But all that may well be changing.

In Colorado, for instance, one post office they tried to close, but were dissuaded from for now, is that of the small town of Glen Haven. It is the only example I know of personally, but would guess there will be others in Colorado. If guessing, I'd say they may well try to close the quite small post office of Carson, NM. Which is out in the middle of nowhere, save a lot of scattered residences, who would have a long drive into town otherwise. That could be the reality for a lot of people.

Beginning in March the US Post office plans to close 2,000 post offices, in addition to 491 already announced. That is but the beginning of a, thus far, slowly evolving trend. By law the postal service can only close post offices for maintenance reasons, lease expirations, or other reasons that do not include profitability.

Sometimes they stretch such definitions. Such as the recent closing of the post office for Prairie City, South Dakota, which had been in existence for 102 years. The given reason was "safety deficiencies," but in truth the only problem was a faulty furnace, that locals offered to fix themselves, but offer declined and post office closed.

The postal service would do away with any such pretense, and is asking for a change in the law which would allow them to close a post office solely for financial reasons. There are currently about 32,000 post offices in the United States, many of whom lose money. The postal service would like to put under review about half of them, or 16,000, towards possible closing. The implication of this, should it go forward, is that the United States, and quite possibly your neighborhood, will no longer have a postal service resembling anything you, your parents, your grandparents, or their ancestors knew, or could recognize.

Even though I do not use it much, in a sense I use and value our national postal service every day of the year. Beyond simply delivering mail, our postal service does act to "bind" this nation together. That was one of the reasons for its creation, and has well played that role ever since. In the example of Prairie City, SD, their post office served as a meeting point for local gossip and information. With the post office gone, only their church remains as such a focal point. But that can neither replicate the lost mail delivery, nor the subtle but strong tie to the greater nation, the sense of a larger community.

The US Post Office lost $8.5 billion in 2010. This the given reason why our government wishes to largely eliminate a unique service which has served this nation since the time of Benjamin Franklin. If but solely money, and priorities, one might remember that this nation spends only slightly less than $8.5 billion every month in Afghanistan. So if a question of money, then how this nation spends it, and where. This article notes that the US Post Office is an independent entity, but quasi-official in being able to borrow money from the federal government. That is only because several years ago our government split off part of itself, created this entity so as to absolve itself from the responsibility. With the supposed idea the US Post Office should be self-sustaining and pay its own way. Very much as UPS perhaps, and with no more responsibility than to do whatever necessary for a balanced ledger.

Perhaps in the electronic age the legacy of our founding fathers is as outdated and irrelevant as the Pony Express. We might see our postal service quickly downsize into a few large impersonal branches, then in time maybe even vanish if it cannot compete on the open market. Or maybe the citizens of this country will decide to have a say, to allow that, or perhaps decide that they would rather see a portion of their tax dollars support an enterprise which does not always allow a financial profit, but pays a real and intangible interest far beyond dollars and cents.

1) 'Postal Service Eyes Closing Thousands of Post Offices,' The Wall Street Journal
Postal Service Eyes Closing Thousands of Post Offices - WSJ.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 11:48 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,248,320 times
I vote for shutting down home mail delivery and maintaining the post offices for package drop offs. Anything I need I get electronically. Would be nice to stop wasting all that junk mail paper.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:47 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,876,908 times
I was actually thinking about it the other day, and I realized I've only sent thirteen letters in my life - all of them were college apps from a couple years ago. I did some Googling and read that A) The Post Office is gonna lose $208(?) billion over the next 10 years, and B) The union of the postal workers has a death grip on USPS and won't even allow it to for example shuffle workers from underperforming Post Offices to ones which need more workers.

I think the Post Office should be privatized and its monopoly on first class mail should be removed. But the govt. should make a few ground rules, such as every citizen must have access to a post office within say 15 miles.

Edit: Sorry I don't have any links.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:40 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,092,454 times
Wow, unions having a death grip on something. Imagine that. Yet another industry soon to be crushed by organized labor.

I've felt for some time that there needs to be a PRAC (postal closure and realignment commission) similar to BRAC to get rid of the many unnecessary and overlapping post offices. Where I live in suburbia, there are literally 6 different post offices within a 10-minute drive. 3 or 4 of these I believe are leftovers from when people traveled in horse and buggy.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:01 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
I'm amazed in the Chicago area of almost 10 million people - they're only closing 2 post offices. Aren't they closing something like 2,000 total?

Old 01-25-2011, 10:30 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,042,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I vote for shutting down home mail delivery and maintaining the post offices for package drop offs. Anything I need I get electronically. Would be nice to stop wasting all that junk mail paper.
Getting rid of mail delivery may be OK for you, but there are a lot of people who do not have computers.

A lot of people don't know how to use a computer and have no one to show them how. Some people may not have the mental where-with-all to learn how to use a computer, let alone a printer set up when hard copies of documents are needed.

Computers and computer service are expensive.........a lot of people cannot afford to have one........how can you totally cut them off?

How are they going to pay their bills? How are they even going to recieve their bills?

What about rural people who cannot drive? Are they supposed to hire a taxi to drive them 15 miles to a post office several times a week to check their mail?

We need home postal delivery and the government should subsidize it if that is what it takes to keep it up and running.

Old 01-25-2011, 11:59 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Getting rid of mail delivery may be OK for you, but there are a lot of people who do not have computers.

A lot of people don't know how to use a computer and have no one to show them how. Some people may not have the mental where-with-all to learn how to use a computer, let alone a printer set up when hard copies of documents are needed.

Computers and computer service are expensive.........a lot of people cannot afford to have one........how can you totally cut them off?

How are they going to pay their bills? How are they even going to recieve their bills?

What about rural people who cannot drive? Are they supposed to hire a taxi to drive them 15 miles to a post office several times a week to check their mail?

We need home postal delivery and the government should subsidize it if that is what it takes to keep it up and running.
I just hate how everything is becoming so technological. Somethings should be left as the way they are and we shouldn't have to rely on computers for everything.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:36 PM

1,495 posts, read 2,299,695 times
I fear this will accelerate rural flight, which is already going fast enough. Soon your only choices will be suburbia or increasingly expensive city centers.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:56 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,470,414 times
Sorry but the little wide spot in the road where I grew up doesn't need its own post office... or to have 50% of its 2 parking spots be signed as "handicapped"

Old 01-25-2011, 07:36 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,784,616 times
Backpackers on long distance hiking trails often will encounter Post Offices more than stores. They take advantage of this fact to mail food to themselves, the alternative being to hitch for miles out of the hills to the nearest convenience store which probably doesn't have very healthy food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.