Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2019, 02:45 PM

14 posts, read 8,562 times

Advertisements

I am living in South West Colorado and I have quite severe asthma. The medical advice is for me to go somewhere to live with better (cleaner) air (AQI below 50 - this means low particulates like pollen and smoke and also low ozone which is car exhaust fumes mostly). Dry air with very no/few trees is what I'm looking for. Small scrub bushes and sagebrush is ok. No trees! Trees really kick my @ass. The town shouldn't be a in valley (dirtly air just collects there). Plains is not good, I'm told. Here is the kicker the hot desert towns are all hot (this also triggers my asthma). So no really big cities becuase the pollution is always a problem. And it has to be not that hot in summer (below 85F if possible) because the heat triggers my ashtma. I am seriously allergic to carpets and as soon as you go North Just about every buiding you walk into has carpets. This limits finding a job going out and triggers the asthma all the time - also less chance of finding an apartment that has no carpets to rent. The tile or wood flooring is more popular in the hotter dessert cities in the south but this is where the really hot weather is. Moab Utah is actually one of the places I can breathe really well but it is incredibly small. And lastly, I know there are awfull small towns in Utah, Nm, Idaho and Wyoming that would fit the bill but it needs to be a place with a feasible economy. So that I can feasibly find a job and just to get by. I have been struggling with this for months and would really appreciate any advice or suggestions that you have.

Sante Fe is just about perfect, I think but from reading the info on the web they say jobs are very hard to come by and the place is expensive. Most people struggle a lot if you are not arriving there with plenty of money. I would very much like to find an affordable place to live. Rental around $700-$800 to start would be great. They do have apartments at that price in Sante Fe but the reading tells me it will be in an awful neighborhood with drive by shootings. So it makes me a little worried. I have also thought about going to Mexico and trying to teach english online or something like that. The baja Peninsula is the dryest but everyone says its really hot and I just can't find any information about air quality and just general information on the internet.

I would need a bigger city with at least some good doctors within driving distance too.

I have been told to check out Cody Wyoming but I just don't know the area very well. Everytime I find a place that sounds about right I start to worry about it being a small town with no economy and no chance to find any job at all and just being so far from civilization. I'm really struggling and I really need to find a place as soon as possible. Please can you help?

Please help

Thanks

Last edited by PNW-type-gal; 09-16-2019 at 05:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2019, 03:47 PM

27,231 posts, read 43,971,352 times
There are still lots of trees in Santa Fe so it's not the perfect fit you imagine. If you fare well in Moab you should do okay in
St George UT, which is booming economically so finding a job should be easier.

Old 09-14-2019, 06:37 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,710,038 times
The wind is your enemy, and it is all over the west.

Old 09-14-2019, 07:57 PM

16,097 posts, read 10,762,339 times
If you have problems in SW Colorado I would think that NM would be similar. Dust will be a problem most places...but not the haboob dust storms you might have seen associated with Arizona. New Mexico has an abundance of juniper trees and I know some people who had to move away due to the pollen. See if that is a problem before you come here. We have a few weeks of wind in the spring and we get smoke from forest fires hundred of miles away. Not very optimistic.

Old 09-15-2019, 04:32 PM

Thank you so much. A quick search is very positive I would never have thought about St George. Summer temps reaching 117 worries me but thanks so much for the suggestion.

Old 09-15-2019, 04:33 PM

Please can you tell me what town you are talking about. Where is "here"?

Old 09-15-2019, 05:10 PM

17,810 posts, read 13,708,449 times
Pie Town, NM would seem to be right in your sweet spot.

Old 09-15-2019, 10:50 PM

16,097 posts, read 10,762,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstercat View Post
Please can you tell me what town you are talking about. Where is "here"?
'Here' would be New Mexico. I would check out the Juniper pollen because it seems to be everywhere. Alamogordo is a reasonable size town next to the White Sands desert area with not a great deal of vegetation to the west and a mountain range to the east. There seems to be a lot of transplanted folks there. There is an Air Force base there and the National Monument.

Old 09-16-2019, 10:25 AM

8,502 posts, read 8,802,096 times
Most cities and towns are in the flats.

What about Elko NV, Twin Falls or Emmett ID, Walla Walla WA, Klamath Falls or Pendleton OR, Carson City NV, Carlsbad NM, Gillette WY, Pueblo West CO...

Old 09-16-2019, 05:47 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,835,464 times
Any western high desert town in/near the mountains is likely to have bad air quality in the winter due to woodstove smoke and then periods of very bad air quality in the summer due to smoke from fires. Those are both particulate issues, but not necessarily pollen or ozone. All of the high desert towns I can think of are warmer than your stated goal, as well.

I am not sure you are going to find a single place that has none of those issues.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.