Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 06:01 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,685,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Chicago and Houston are neck and neck when it coems to diversity. So don't even try and say Houston can't compare to Chicago at that..
Um, no, it was calid00d who was trying to say Chicago couldn't compare to Houston on diversity and that Chicago is not an international city like Houston, GMP/GDP is lower than Houston (when either way you look at it, Chicago's is higher), etc. so Spade and I were correcting him on his misinfo. Because that's absurd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 02:39 PM

157 posts, read 316,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
Have you been to Houston? it actually is a great city and i see nothing wrong with comparing it to the other great cities around the world
If you would let others around the country do the comparing people might take Houston more seriously. It just just sounds desperate and insecure with the constant pandering. Do you hear people in New York, San Francisco, etc. constantly trying to convince people how "world-class" their town is? FYI - I've been to Houston many times since I'm a native Texas boy.

Old 08-18-2008, 02:45 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,844,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy View Post
If you would let others around the country do the comparing people might take Houston more seriously.
Is there a particular reason 99% of your posts are complaining about Houstonians, while you're supposedly from west Texas? A little strange, don't you think? Are you on these forums because of a Houston-related vendetta?

Old 08-18-2008, 04:49 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,685,220 times
Quote:
I have nothing against Houston the city as I've said on several occasions. It's the obnoxious uncivilized comments by some of the Houston posters that I comment on.
Yes, I'm getting pretty tired of them myself. They sound like the rantings and ravings of 13-year-old boys comparing the sizes of their you-know-what's...

Old 08-18-2008, 04:59 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,517,926 times
Quote:
Once again I'm from Big Spring. I have no reason to lie about my home town. I have nothing against Houston the city as I've said on several occasions. It's the obnoxious uncivilized comments by some of the Houston posters that I comment on. Why can't you comprehend that? Listen to the message more carefully JJP.
We only comment on sick and demented falsehoods said about our city by haters from California and hick towns in West Texas who feed their low self esteems and emotional problems by bashing places that are doing better than their own!

Old 08-18-2008, 06:45 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
Once again I'm from Big Spring. I have no reason to lie about my home town. I have nothing against Houston the city as I've said on several occasions. It's the obnoxious uncivilized comments by some of the Houston posters that I comment on. Why can't you comprehend that? Listen to the message more carefully JJP.
I think it's just a couple of Houstonians (that I will not say by name in respect) that has caused problems. Most of the other Houstonians that regularly post on city-data general forum do so either in defense of their city or just to give correct information.

Old 08-20-2008, 12:32 PM

3,440 posts, read 5,718,740 times
I live in Houston and was born there and I absolutely cannot stand it.

Old 08-20-2008, 01:53 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,290,595 times
Houston has the right to be proud, they're the 4th city to maintain 2 Million after NYC, LA, and Chicago.
I do thinks it is over rated, that being said I think most cities are too.
The Houston peeps have succeeded in making their city prominent I see its name listed on Many Polls.
I will say we have a tendency to fight a lot with them, as many think that Houston is that much better then DFW.
I will say that a couple of Houstonians do stick out in my mind as promoting their city next to everything, but the majority are people... so go about in a childish manner...but whatever floats their boat, at the end of the day they just ended up making people mad...well a few anyways. Each city has its flaws... and people or people.

Oi! about Dallas being fake...

Old 08-21-2008, 11:50 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,377,042 times
A few of the pro-Houston posters ruin it for all of Houston. We all have seen the recent accolades about Houston in Forbes, Newsweek, Money etc... Just like the advice given to people thrust into prominence, the overly zealous pro-Houston crowd may want to take the same: act with class and like you've been here before. You can correct the falsehoods and point out the strengths of your city without bashing another. I saw one post where Rowdy's area was bashed by calling people "hicks"; well, many of these "hicks" migrated to Houston from West Texas. That's the sterotype some people in NYC and Chicago may have about Houston in comparison.

Old 08-21-2008, 12:12 PM

382 posts, read 1,054,215 times
Quote:
Very well put- good post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.