Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 12:53 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,319,162 times

Advertisements

There seems to be a lot of Houston vs (insert name of any US city here) threads popping up in this forum for some reason. Adding to these discussions are some very proud Houston area residents that defend their city tooth and nail. While their civic pride is cool and commendable, there are quite a few Houstonians who believe that their city is on the same level as Chicago or LA, and that their city is one of the most prominent in the world. I even heard one poster describe Houstonians as feeling that their city is at the "center of the universe".

My question for everyone is what do you think about Houston and its place in this country and the world? How does it measure up to other cities? Are the general perceptions about Houston fair?

Hopefully this thread will nip the whole Houston issue in the bud and prevent a Houston vs. the rest of the world thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 01:20 PM

1,506 posts, read 4,279,697 times
We're going to end it already? Bummer, I was particularly looking forward to the Houston vs. London, Houston vs. Moscow, and the Houston vs Jerusalem threads. Oh well.

Old 10-31-2007, 01:29 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,628,534 times
LMAO I was hoping so as well.

Because EVERYONE knows that Houston is comparable to EVERYWHERE Fabulous.

Maybe there should be a thread HOUSTON vs HEAVEN............

Old 10-31-2007, 01:49 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Houston is definitely important, so its definitely a major staple in this country's economy. It can be compared to Chicago and NYC on that level alone.

Old 10-31-2007, 01:53 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
UMM Houston vs. HELL might be a better comparison. Especially at night when the refinery flares light the sky.

Old 10-31-2007, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
UMM Houston vs. HELL might be a better comparison. Especially at night when the refinery flares light the sky.
Quote:
LMAO I was hoping so as well.

Because EVERYONE knows that Houston is comparable to EVERYWHERE Fabulous.

Maybe there should be a thread HOUSTON vs HEAVEN............
Quote:
We're going to end it already? Bummer, I was particularly looking forward to the Houston vs. London, Houston vs. Moscow, and the Houston vs Jerusalem threads. Oh well.
LMAO!!!

Quote:
Houston is definitely important, so its definitely a major staple in this country's economy. It can be compared to Chicago and NYC on that level alone.
Very interesting. Houston DOES have the 2nd largest number of Fortune 500 companies outside of NYC, so I guess I can sort of see your point in a way. In addition to its economy, what about other aspects of Houston that may or may not position it as a world class city (culture, infrastructure, transit, arts, scenery)? Is it really on the same level as NYC, LA, Chicago, or San Fran?

Let's keep this thread going! Don't be shy! Feel free to turn this into a Houston vs. (whatever city you like--real or fictional) thread if you like!

Old 10-31-2007, 02:26 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,416,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
How about a Dallas vs. Silicone thread. Both are fake.

Old 10-31-2007, 02:38 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,742,172 times
For Houston, diversity is key. In the next 15-20 years, I think Houston will become a major global city. The most important thing Houston should do well is the urban planning process. The city should stop building more highways and instead create a world-class rapid transit to accommodate the population boom. If Houston is viewed as a gridlock city, its future won't look good.

Old 10-31-2007, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
For Houston, diversity is key. In the next 15-20 years, I think Houston will become a major global city. The most important thing Houston should do well is the urban planning process. The city should stop building more highways and instead create a world-class rapid transit to accommodate the population boom. If Houston is viewed as a gridlock city, its future won't look good.
Sounds about right.

Keep it going!

Old 10-31-2007, 02:59 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
Houston is the home of silicone and many other petroleum byproducts. I knew a lot of girls named Methyl, Ethyl and Phenyl from there...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.