Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2015, 01:15 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,857,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post
Only one survey was restricted to Mississippi. That was the survey regarding Southern identity. The others were a combination of Southern states. As far as who is dragged into it, that would depend. What I can absolutely guarantee is that there would be nothing you could do about it if, and I say IF, it were to happen.
Hey news flash for ya, Turtledove novels are entirely fictional. Just making sure you knew that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2015, 03:56 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,399,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It's not happening dude...but keep hope alive if it makes you sleep better at night.
This is according to the same clowns who said nationalism died in 1945.

Clearly that hasn't been the case, has it?

Old 10-21-2015, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
LOL!!! Tell it, Mutiny77.

The ignorance on display here is almost breathtaking.
Look who finally decided to show up at the tail end. What's the matter? Couldn't drum anything up before?

I feel my argument regarding Southern identity needs no additional explaining. Anybody who has visited or knows anything about the South knows that its identity is not a weak one. But I would like to know precisely where I'm wrong when I say that secession is a natural right while rejecting the allegation that Southerners, and even Americans as a whole, who support secession (not the right to it, but outright secession of their state) are a tiny minority. This is something Mrs. Aragon has failed address as she continues to write autobiographies, while Mutiny has resorted to straw man tactics, and our Asian friend spudcommando is in the background making noises.

Exclusive: Angry with Washington, 1 in 4 Americans open to secession | Reuters

Old 10-21-2015, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
I have been wondering that myself! Just what is a "southron"???????????????

Oh, out of curriosity (I don't know why) but I did his google link. It seems that is an old term. As in, from the confederacy. As in, possibly how people talked way, way, way, way, waaaaaaayyyyyyy back then.

Basically it even proves more that somebody here must have found a time machine and is stuck in the 1860's, but, unfortunately (or fortunately for comic relief) he can communicate with the modern times!
I think Southron is a pretty cool word.

Old 10-21-2015, 07:46 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,140,992 times
Quote:
Since I've never heard anyone in real life use that term, I thought I'd ask you.

And thanks, by the way, for the Google tutorial. Lawsy, Mr. Joey, Ah ain't nevah knowed how to use that internet Google thang till now - you'se da bomb!

That new fangled Google thang done showed me that the term "Southron" means one of the following:

Quote:
1. A person from the Southern United States in general
2. Historically, a person from the Confederate States of America
3. A member of the Haradrim, a human people in the fiction of J. R. R. Tolkien
4. Anyone who lives below "The Neck" in the series A Song of Ice and Fire by author George R.R. Martin
So tell me - since this was my original question and one not answered via a Google search:

Why do you use the term "Southron?" Come on, tell the truth - have you been hanging out with hobbits?

Old 10-21-2015, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Look who finally decided to show up at the tail end. What's the matter? Couldn't drum anything up before?

I feel my argument regarding Southern identity needs no additional explaining. Anybody who has visited or knows anything about the South knows that its identity is not a weak one. But I would like to know precisely where I'm wrong when I say that secession is a natural right while rejecting the allegation that Southerners, and even Americans as a whole, who support secession (not the right to it, but outright secession of their state) are a tiny minority. This is something Mrs. Aragon has failed address as she continues to write autobiographies, while Mutiny has resorted to straw man tactics, and our Asian friend spudcommando is in the background making noises.

Exclusive: Angry with Washington, 1 in 4 Americans open to secession | Reuters
I've never "addressed it" because I've never argued that secession isn't a state's right. I have, however, discussed other specific points with you. You've answered mostly by listing phone surveys and the opinions of some Mississippians as irrefutable facts regarding southerners (or, to placate you - SOUTHRONS) in general.

Old 10-21-2015, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Since I've never heard anyone in real life use that term, I thought I'd ask you.

And thanks, by the way, for the Google tutorial. Lawsy, Mr. Joey, Ah ain't nevah knowed how to use that internet Google thang till now - you'se da bomb!
There is no need to ask what it a term is when you have fingers and a keyboard right under your nose.

Quote:
That new fangled Google thang done showed me that the term "Southron" means one of the following:
??

Quote:
So tell me - since this was my original question and one not answered via a Google search:

Why do you use the term "Southron?" Come on, tell the truth - have you been hanging out with hobbits?
I could go there, but I won't, Mrs. Aragon.

Last edited by joeyg2014; 10-21-2015 at 11:19 AM..

Old 10-21-2015, 11:16 AM

Quote:
I've never "addressed it" because I've never argued that secession isn't a state's right.
At least we agree on something then.

Quote:
I have, however, discussed other specific points with you. You've answered mostly by listing phone surveys and the opinions of some Mississippians as irrefutable facts regarding southerners (or, to placate you - SOUTHRONS) in general.
These surveys combined consist of the opinions of thousands of people. Granted, the sample size was not 100 million. But it also wasn't 50. 1 survey was restricted to MS and was conducted by Public Policy Polling. The other 2 were national surveys. The 2nd was conducted by the ORC and published by CNN, and the 3rd survey by Reuters.

If you want to nitpick because "hey, they didn't ask every single Southerner on the face of the earth," then go ahead and play that game.

Old 10-21-2015, 11:20 AM

Quote:

I could go there, but I won't, Mrs. Aragon.

Why do you say that?

Old 10-21-2015, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Why do you say that?
I can't go there on City-Data. If you guess it, I take no responsibility. I kept my mouth shut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.