Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 09:13 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,969,139 times

Advertisements

My family and I are looking into areas to relocate to this summer, but are there really any jobs anywhere? My DH has been working as a carpenter for about 8 years now, but has also cooked, worked in factories, the usual. With the real estate market the way it is, carpentry is becoming less and less viable I think. But besides having jobs, my dream place would have all four seasons, be a smaller town within an hour to a larger city, low crime rate, good schools and a university with a nursing program near by. I may as well be asking to win the lottery, huh?! LOL

I would appreciate any suggestions ya'll may have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2007, 09:56 AM

809 posts, read 2,409,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happeemommee View Post
My family and I are looking into areas to relocate to this summer, but are there really any jobs anywhere? My DH has been working as a carpenter for about 8 years now, but has also cooked, worked in factories, the usual. With the real estate market the way it is, carpentry is becoming less and less viable I think. But besides having jobs, my dream place would have all four seasons, be a smaller town within an hour to a larger city, low crime rate, good schools and a university with a nursing program near by. I may as well be asking to win the lottery, huh?! LOL

Lexington, Ky? Right where the U of Kentucky is. 1.5 hours to Louisville and Cincy.

Old 11-24-2007, 10:22 AM

Yes, Lexington. We need to go somewhere else, just looking for suggestions.

Old 11-24-2007, 11:43 AM

1,230 posts, read 3,175,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happeemommee View Post

Fayetteville Arkansas has all of what you said you were looking for. If your husband can do commercial construction then that would be a big help. The need residential construction is way down here but commercial is still doing good. There are also alot of factories, restaurants etc.

Old 11-24-2007, 12:11 PM

809 posts, read 2,409,275 times
Portland, ME? A decent drive to boston and the U Southern Maine is there (not sure if they have a nursing program)

Old 11-25-2007, 03:57 AM

129 posts, read 460,402 times
I wouldn't look at it in terms of carpentry becoming less viable. Actually, among all possible categories of work, I think carpentry is one of the ones that's guaranteed to have a future. We will always need carpenters, just as we will always need farmers. The "production" residential construction industry is certainly changing, and it will never be the same. But carpenters will still be needed for custom construction, renovation and repair work.

Old 11-25-2007, 09:08 AM

I wish that were the case with carpentry. But even in the high point of the real estate market, it is still not a 40 hr a week job because it all depends on how people manage money. It seems like DH was either working 60 to 80 hours a week without a day off or almost non existent. It's a strange industry and while there will always be a need for some carpenters, for a guy in a new area he's last on the list to get the job and first one to be laid off when the work gets light. In fact, I was just reading an article from the Bradenton, Fl newspaper discussing how this years soup kitchen lines and public assistance offices are filled with people related to the real estate market. It's more than a little scary. Is the market still booming or atleast steady, anywhere?

I just need to hurry and graduate!

Old 11-25-2007, 11:37 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,086,761 times
We just moved to the 'burbs of Kansas City, MO and we love it. The real estate market is okay here I think...there are a lot of new housing developments being built. I know there are nursing programs nearby although off the top of my head I don't know which schools offer them. The cost of living here is very reasonable and there is lots to do. If you go to the Kansas City Missouri section of this site you can find lots more information on the area. Parkville and Lee's Summit are the suburbs with the best school districts IMO.

Old 11-26-2007, 02:42 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,390,380 times
Of course there are jobs somewhere...you just have to know where to look.

Old 11-26-2007, 03:06 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,048,065 times
Johnson County, Kansas has what you're looking for (Overland Park, Lenexa, Shawnee, Olathe, etc.); however, the biggest drawback is cost of housing. Over the last ten years it has escalated way too much...there are homes selling for $200k that should not be any higher than $100k. But, it's all about what you are looking for and can afford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.