Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2008, 04:00 PM

1 posts, read 2,220 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I am looking to drive back home from Washington state to Wisconsin in early December. When I drove out here last November, I took I-90 most of the way, and am looking to drive the same way back. However, I don't know about what the road conditions would be like at that time of year, and would appreciate any advice as to which route to take, how to do it, and what to look out for. I've done a lot of winter driving in my life, but am a little nervous about all the mountain passes and all.

I looked a little into shipping my car, but I just have heard a lot of horror stories from friends and acquaintances and read a lot of not so good reviews online, so I am a little scared to do that. That, and plus I'll have all my stuff which I was hoping on fitting into my car, and I have heard that its not the best idea have your stuff in a car that you are shipping.

I would greatly appreciate any advice, suggestions, or experiences you may have had.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2008, 05:49 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,209,063 times
Early December? I'd imagine you'll be just fine. Even if it does snow, the interstates are cleared off within a matter of hours after the snow stops falling. Growing up in the midwest you could count the timeframe of interstates being messed up from snowstorms as probably 4 days total over an entire winter. It's not like it snows every day or anything. Early December isn't too bad either. In Chicago it's still well into the 40's by then. The average doesn't dip below 50 degrees until almost Thanksgiving.

the only thing you can do is just watch the weather as the time approaches. It's all luck really. The only thing you can do is push it up by a day or later by a day if a storm happens to hit exactly when you'd planned on driving.

Old 09-22-2008, 12:04 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,590,323 times
The diciest part of your trip will be crossing the Cascades and the Rockies. Otherwise, chance of weather related delays is slim (though not unheard of).

Old 09-22-2008, 12:12 PM

1,093 posts, read 3,424,996 times
Just be careful and take the appropriate winter road "emergency" kit, snow chains, flares, flashlight, blankets come to mind..I've driven from Wa state to Maine on a few times due to job location changes, the last trip was in January, so we just took our time ran to some bad weather in the mountain passes in CO , UT and WA but overall went well...

Old 09-22-2008, 12:36 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,209,063 times
Bring a close friend along to eat in case you go off the road into a ditch and unintentially start living your Lifetime made for TV movie.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:16 PM

990 posts, read 3,187,512 times
lol I just posted directions like that

madison wi to seattle late october

Old 11-24-2013, 08:23 AM

1 posts, read 1,360 times
Has anyone traveled from Utah to Seattle, Washington between December and January?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.