Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2014, 04:58 PM

9 posts, read 9,073 times

Advertisements

I will be visiting wherever you recommend that feels like a good fit to me, so please be mindful in your recommendations! Do not go listing places willy nilly!

CRITERIA
  • Mostly mild/warm or even hot, & sunny. I don't mind humidity at all.
  • Walkable!
  • Nice parks! I like green trees.
  • Within 1-2 hour max drive of a major airport so I can visit family. (Closer is good.)
  • Socially liberal culture (you can't be too liberal for me)
  • Size: Any size. Walkable is really important to me, so please keep that in mind.
  • Budget: I'll be renting a room or small apartment. Not interested in paying the highest rents in the whole country for said space. Be reasonable
  • I think that's all really...

I don't watch tv or movies so I'm not paranoid about safety. (Turn off your TV...) Just use common sense when advising. No gang hoods.

If you want to know about me...
I'm mid-20s wild child ready to bust out of my small town (~50k people). Not sure if "wild child" has any odd connotations, but what I'm saying is I have a ton of energy to do and experience a lot of amazing things culturally and professionally, and this sleepy town I call home is too small a container for that energy. We don't even have a big live music venue. *gasp* TIME TO MOVE

I've read a ton about all kinds of cities but don't know where to go. Maybe you can help. This is like a treasure hunt for me.

If it helps to know, I'll be working as a personal trainer and doing other things in music and dance.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 05:00 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,620,626 times
New Orleans
Savannah - not a huge airport but JAX is within 2 hours
Liberal neighborhood in Atlanta
East Nashville
Asheville - very liberal but work may be hard to find.

Old 01-18-2014, 06:04 AM

27,231 posts, read 44,105,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanboogie View Post
I will be visiting wherever you recommend that feels like a good fit to me, so please be mindful in your recommendations! Do not go listing places willy nilly!

CRITERIA
  • Mostly mild/warm or even hot, & sunny. I don't mind humidity at all.
  • Walkable!
  • Nice parks! I like green trees.
  • Within 1-2 hour max drive of a major airport so I can visit family. (Closer is good.)
  • Socially liberal culture (you can't be too liberal for me)
  • Size: Any size. Walkable is really important to me, so please keep that in mind.
  • Budget: I'll be renting a room or small apartment. Not interested in paying the highest rents in the whole country for said space. Be reasonable
  • I think that's all really...

I don't watch tv or movies so I'm not paranoid about safety. (Turn off your TV...) Just use common sense when advising. No gang hoods.

If you want to know about me...
I'm mid-20s wild child ready to bust out of my small town (~50k people). Not sure if "wild child" has any odd connotations, but what I'm saying is I have a ton of energy to do and experience a lot of amazing things culturally and professionally, and this sleepy town I call home is too small a container for that energy. We don't even have a big live music venue. *gasp* TIME TO MOVE

I've read a ton about all kinds of cities but don't know where to go. Maybe you can help. This is like a treasure hunt for me.

If it helps to know, I'll be working as a personal trainer and doing other things in music and dance.

Thanks in advance!
Durham, NC would be a good fit. It's quite liberal/enlightened, well-educated (has one of the highest percentages of college grads in the US), very green, largely walkable in the city core, near a somewhat major airport (Raleigh/Durham), has an extensive cultural scene (hosts The American Dance Festival every summer), a fairly decent job market and affordable housing.

City of Durham - City On The Move
Things to Do Main | Durham, NC
American Dance Festival
Music | Indy Week

Old 01-18-2014, 07:35 AM

93,812 posts, read 124,552,237 times
Perhaps parts of Austin TX too.

Old 01-19-2014, 01:16 PM

9 posts, read 9,073 times
Thank you all so much!! I have research to do.

A friend told me Austin could be a good fit.

Thank you for your help. I love this forum

Old 01-19-2014, 07:04 PM

367 posts, read 698,586 times
You may also like Louisville Ky . Nice parks, college town .Major airport. Major concerts come to the area. Decent bars and restaraunts .Lots of things to do for the 20's crowd. Rent is pretty reasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.