Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most uniquely American accent?
Northeastern (Youse) 6 12.24%
Upper Midwestern (Doncha Know) 3 6.12%
Lower Midwestern (Warsh) 4 8.16%
Southern (Y'all) 23 46.94%
West Coast (Surfer Dude/Valley Girl) 4 8.16%
African American Vernacular 7 14.29%
Other 2 4.08%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 11:56 AM

1,485 posts, read 2,255,216 times

Advertisements

Since the U.S. has many different dialects, which one seems to be the most genuinely American? It's not necessarily the same thing as a "neutral" or "dominant" accent (i.e. the ones you hear the most), but to put things in perspective, if you were a tourist from another country (or even staying in another country and watching American television programming for example), which one stands out the most?

And yes, it's perfectly fine to say more than one. (If the answer is "all of them", there should be some sort an explanation).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2019, 12:00 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,605,319 times
Southern English and AAVE in general.

Old 07-12-2019, 12:02 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,410,535 times
Southern/east coast stands out, but lower Midwest and Valley girl I'd say are the most dominant everywhere.

Old 07-12-2019, 12:11 PM

86 posts, read 62,667 times
The categories are fairly general. For the Northeast, I think we can agree that New Yorkers have a different accent that Bostonians. Folks in Philadelphia have an accent to their own as well. Same thing in the South. Someone from North Carolina does not have the same accent as someone from Louisiana or Texas.

I would say they are all equally unique.

Also the further West you go, the accents seem to disappear. There really isn't a California, Arizona or Washington accent that I've ever been able to distinguish. Californians do have a hard "R", but other than that, it's not really distinguishable as Californian. Sure you have the "surfers" and "valley girls", but that is such a small segment. Most folks on the west coast do not have an accent like that.

Old 07-12-2019, 12:32 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,730,962 times
Maine, old Yankee (Down East) accent.

Old 07-12-2019, 12:43 PM

6,384 posts, read 5,012,901 times
Southern. The Midwestern and Western ones are too close to Canadian; the Northeastern ones are too close to British and Commonwealth dialects.

Old 07-12-2019, 12:58 PM

21,649 posts, read 12,800,939 times
Lower midwestern/Baltimore and AAVE.

Black folks make a language sound "blacker" no matter what the language is though (Cape Verdean Creole, Jamaican Patois, Haitian Creole, Even Black BritishAccents) so i voted Lower Midwestern.

Old 07-12-2019, 01:22 PM

1,485 posts, read 2,255,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Southern. The Midwestern and Western ones are too close to Canadian; the Northeastern ones are too close to British and Commonwealth dialects.

I can see that. A case can also be made that Southern is too close to Scots.

Old 07-12-2019, 02:35 PM

16,097 posts, read 10,762,339 times
The poll leaves out dozens. The seaport accents as on New Orleans and Baltimore are interesting to me but localized. New Mexico has a Hispanglo thing going. I'm originally from St. Louis and say Warsh and Farty but I don't hear that all through the lower midwest. I think there are many southern accents. The accents that I hear most often as typical in pop culture are the general perception of what a New York city person sounds like and the rural southern bumpkin/Texan version.

Old 07-12-2019, 03:32 PM

830 posts, read 1,020,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
I'd have to disagree with exception of New England. Southern US accents do stand out, iconically, and they are easy to imitate for our neighbors across the pond. But the most defining features of American accents in general are the rhotic "r" and nasalized vowels (try enunciating a sentence while closing your nose, and then try doing so with a sentence in a different language and you see just how nasal American English is). Those features are more pronounced in the Northern US dialects. Southern US dialects are largely non-rhotic and represent the evolution of Elizabethan/American colonial English. Imo, the Long Island accent is one of the most peculiarly American accents you can find. The California or Valley Girl accent, not so much. The accent has so influenced speech in a number of hard to understand ways that you can now find "uptalk" intonation pouring into other languages like German.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.