Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 06:21 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,171,874 times

Advertisements

NO, that makes little sense.

Further, Virginia is not Northeastern. Neither is Maryland geographically Northeastern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 01:42 PM

622 posts, read 949,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
NO, that makes little sense.

Further, Virginia is not Northeastern. Neither is Maryland geographically Northeastern.
So you're limiting the Northeast to Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine? Why?

Last edited by muppethammer26; 05-13-2014 at 01:55 PM..

Old 05-13-2014, 02:05 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Maryland and.Delaware are Southern too...
Uh oh... He's baaaaack! Lol smh

Old 05-13-2014, 02:12 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppethammer26 View Post
There are big states such as California, Texas and Florida which counts large populations and areas but there are 13 separate Northeastern States plus DC. The 13 Northeastern States and DC is actually more connected to each other than California and Texas metropolitan areas does. There is a virtually continuous developed corridor which runs from Portland to Virginia Beach with Boston, New York, Philadelphia and Washington as the centers of the Northeast. Why we don't recognize it as one state like California and Texas? I think the Northeastern Corridor's quality of life would be better than having the corridor in 13 separate states. The states I'm proposing to merge are ME, NH, VT, MA, RI, CT, NY, NJ, DE, PA, WV, MD, DC and VA.
If you merge all those states, then you all but guarantee that all future senates are controlled by Republicans because you'll condense all that (mostly blue) population into the representation of 2 senators while Wyoming, the Dakotas, Alaska and other sparsely populated states get to continue to send 2 (usually Republican) senators to Washington.
Great idea...

Old 05-13-2014, 02:12 PM

249 posts, read 399,341 times
Can you PLEASE STOP CALLING THE VIRGINIAS THE NORTHEAST!!!!!

Old 05-13-2014, 02:17 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,519,162 times
There's nothing to gain from states joining together. As long as we have a Senate and every state gets two senators no matter what the total population is, there is absolutely no political benefit to creating a larger state from smaller states.

If anything that's why you'll see more states trying to break off from established states(as in Colorado or Northern California or so on)...

Old 05-13-2014, 11:23 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
Default Should the 13 Northeastern States and DC merge into one state?

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppethammer26 View Post
There are big states such as California, Texas and Florida which counts large populations and areas but there are 13 separate Northeastern States plus DC. The 13 Northeastern States and DC is actually more connected to each other than California and Texas metropolitan areas does. There is a virtually continuous developed corridor which runs from Portland to Virginia Beach with Boston, New York, Philadelphia and Washington as the centers of the Northeast. Why we don't recognize it as one state like California and Texas? I think the Northeastern Corridor's quality of life would be better than having the corridor in 13 separate states. The states I'm proposing to merge are ME, NH, VT, MA, RI, CT, NY, NJ, DE, PA, WV, MD, DC and VA.
No, I think it is more interesting the way it is.

Old 06-04-2014, 12:23 AM

622 posts, read 949,041 times
This is how I would create a Northeastern State based on the Northeastern Corridor:

1. Southwestern Maine
2. Southern New Hampshire
3. Windham County, Vermont
4. All of Massachusetts
5. All of Rhode Island
6. All of Connecticut
7. One-Thirds of NY State (up to Albany, NY and draw a line from NY/MA/VT border to Albany, NY to the Northern Limits of the Delaware River)
8. All of New Jersey
9. Eastern Two-Thirds of Pennsylvania (everything east of the Appalachian Mountains)
10. All of Delaware
11. Most of Maryland (except Garrett and Allegany counties)
12. Morgan, Berkeley and Jefferson counties of West Virginia
13. Eastern Half of Virginia (east of Shenandoah Valley)
14. Washington, DC would become part of the state too.

I think Boston, New York, Philadelphia and Washington should be in the same state. It makes more sense like this. I think the Northeastern Corridor would be more connected when it is one state.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:03 AM

36,657 posts, read 67,506,468 times
I think each region should be a state.

Northeast
Midwest
South
West

This map mirrors the Census-bureau defined regions:
http://www.mapsofworld.com/usa/usa-m...egions-map.jpg

Yeah, that's a great idea. LOL

Old 06-04-2014, 10:20 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
No, but large area/large population states like California and Texas should subdivide into several smaller states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.