Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 08:39 PM

145 posts, read 347,265 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm just curious as to what states/cities in the Northern United States have low taxes? First, to clarify, when I say northern, I don't just mean the northeast/northwest but anywhere in the US that is more northern than southern in terms of culture, climate, etc. Having lived in multiple regions, I think cooler climate suits me better (as long as it isn't extreme cold), but I've also noticed that northern areas typically have higher taxes and overall COL than southern states.

I personally think taxes are a four-letter word, but the heat and humidity of the south drives me nuts. I had trouble with dry 90 degree days (and these are the worst my home town gets) that I don't think I could possibly survive the south where not only are 90+ degree days the norm, but it comes with humidity and insects to boot. I'd tolerate the heat if that's what it takes (that's how much I hate taxes), but are there northern areas that aren't so tax heavy?

I guess playing off this theme, are there northern states/cities that are less fiscally liberal in general? Don't get me wrong, I am more of a liberal than conservative, but I find some of the extreme liberalism out west (especially on fiscal issues) to be ridiculous. I'm not sure I can live somewhere that's conservative either, but is there anywhere up north that is politically moderate (or at least not extremely left wing like SF/Portland/Seattle) and not so tax heavy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 08:51 PM

8,606 posts, read 14,894,836 times
Try somewhere in Wyoming. Cheyenne, Casper, or Laramie. No state income tax.

Old 08-27-2014, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Try somewhere in Wyoming. Cheyenne, Casper, or Laramie. No state income tax.
I guess I should have clarified, in my original post, but I meant cities that are relatively large (think of having pro sports teams as a proxy for what one would consider a "major city"...awful criteria I know). Plus, taxes come in more forms than just income. For example, is Wyoming heavy on property tax to make up for it?

Also, I don't expect to not pay any taxes, I just think living in a state like new jersey/DC (yes I know DC isn't a state) would be hell. I'm just trying to see if there are northern states that are more favorable tax wise and, by extension, more likely to be business friendly and less extreme left in politics.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:12 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,481,901 times
Utah, Ohio, and South Dakota are probably your best bets. And, of course, Alaska. Delaware may also be of interest to you.

Taxes by State

As a general rule, the Northern cities provide more services, which generally means more taxes. Western and Midwestern cities tend to buck that trend a bit, but are also provide fewer services than the Northeast and Northwest.

Old 08-28-2014, 12:19 AM

93,358 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Perhaps a city in southern New Hampshire like Nashua may work, given its proximity to Boston.

If Utah fits, then Salt Lake City may be another area to consider.

Old 08-28-2014, 01:33 AM

10 posts, read 36,739 times
Low taxes!! is the sound that help to breath at large.
No body expecting to live without tax but yes its sounds good to live in low rated area that also suitable to your work.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:03 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
As it turns out the more desirable places to live in terms of culture, better schools, things to do and sufficient infrastructure tend to have higher taxes in some form (property taxes, sales tax) so as to keep things up, since the money to do so does not magically appear otherwise...despite your sense of entitlement.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:07 AM

603 posts, read 932,111 times
New Hampshire? No income tax or state sales tax. Very close to Boston for your big city needs. High property taxes though.

Which form of taxes would you like to avoid the most? Income, sales tax, or property tax?

With no income or sales tax, New Hampshire does rely heavily on property taxes | PolitiFact New Hampshire

Old 08-28-2014, 07:56 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,892,853 times
Upper Midwest. The same area I am researching. Moderate politics, lower taxes, and a lower COL.

Old 08-28-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
As it turns out the more desirable places to live in terms of culture, better schools, things to do and sufficient infrastructure tend to have higher taxes in some form (property taxes, sales tax) so as to keep things up, since the money to do so does not magically appear otherwise...despite your sense of entitlement.
Yeah man, sorry I want to keep the majority of the salary that I spend hours toiling away for and that I lawfully earned . Btw, how are those California/New Jersey infrastructure, public schooling, etc. systems doing with all those tax dollars you've spent? Since high taxes necessarily mean better services, surely the roads, schools, etc. in those two states much be way better than those in Colorado or Texas

If you're not going to contribute to my question, please take your politics elsewhere. Thanks to the people who actually responded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.