Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2014, 09:06 AM

21 posts, read 25,482 times

Advertisements

As a freelancer, single person, you get the leeway to work pretty much from wherever you please. What would be some good places to go to optimize the cost? The idea is to live in the city, but also to do a lot of traveling around the country.

You can certainly pick San Francisco, which in no doubt would be amazing place, but the COL and all the taxation make it not very affordable.

On the other hand Casper, Wyoming has low cost of living and no taxes. So if I move there, I can save bunch of money on taxes, get cheaper rent and use the rest of the money for traveling. But this is another extreme since Casper doesn't have a lot to do in comparison with SF.

Do you have any idea? Can I maybe get some input from other freelancers? Maybe we could list some cities that are fun to live in and that will not cost you a bunch in taxes and rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 09:16 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Chicago, Philly, Atlanta, New Orleans, Nashville, Austin, Savannah, Charleston?

Old 11-10-2014, 09:46 AM

21 posts, read 25,482 times
I was also thinking about Portland, OR, but that place just seems to be very pricey ...

Philly is new on my list and sounds very appealing actually. Does it still get the reputation of being a crime, violent city?

Old 11-10-2014, 10:07 AM

27,201 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandoon View Post
I was also thinking about Portland, OR, but that place just seems to be very pricey ...

Philly is new on my list and sounds very appealing actually. Does it still get the reputation of being a crime, violent city?

Yes, though of course the Philly homers on this forum will quickly show up to say otherwise. Stats don't lie and even the "safest" areas of Center City Philly can be questionable at night, plus it's cost of living is no longer the deal it once was....not to mention the city's wage taxation rate which at one time (probably still is) was the highest in the country. I agree more economical options that would provide a pedestrian lifestyle and urban amenities at a lower cost such as Nashville or Atlanta (which has a surprising number of hip, vibrant in-town neighborhoods) would be a better way to.

Old 11-10-2014, 10:18 AM

465 posts, read 658,698 times
Just as a side note, because it really sounds like you're more of a city person anyway and would not be well suited to the remote Western lifestyle, but Green River, Rock Springs or Laramie would probably be better low cost Wyoming cities to relocate to as a free lancer than Casper. They're all closer to more scenic parts of the state and to outdoor activities. Casper feels more like an outland penal colony, far removed from the rest of civilization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.